Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14-30 outlet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We ordered SR+ 3 weeks ago. My question is this. I have a 14-30 outlet in my basement that is not in use by a dryer. My plan was to keep a 14-30 adapter permanently plugged in and just plug in the mobile charger when needed to avoid causing wear on the 14-30 box. Does this make sense?

We ordered SR+ 3 weeks ago. My question is this. I have a 14-30 outlet in my basement that is not in use by a dryer. My plan was to keep a 14-30 adapter permanently plugged in and just plug in the mobile charger when needed to avoid causing wear on the 14-30 box. Does this make sense?
Makes great sense, because it's what we use.

On LR, we get 22 mph, so you should too.

We only unplug the mobile charger to go on road trips.

So you want to move the point of wear to the UMC itself? That is a bad idea since the adapter and outlet are cheap by comparison.

14-30 is fine for most but your thought of constantly removing the adapter from the UMC is a poor plan.
My thinking was that the UMC is designed to be plugged/unplugged repeatedly while the 14-30 outlet is not.

My thinking was that the UMC is designed to be plugged/unplugged repeatedly while the 14-30 outlet is not.
14-30 outlets are cheap. The UMC is not. Even the UMC adapter is 4X the cost of the outlet.

If you really need to unplug, just resign yourself to replace the outlet often. You can tell when because it will get easy to insert and remove. There should be substantial insertion force when the outlet is in good condition.

That's a terrible idea. You are moving the wear onto a different set of spring/compression contacts that are much more expensive. That makes no sense.

It does not hurt anything to just leave the whole mobile cable plugged in there at home and hanging on a hook on the wall. I've been doing it that way for nearly 6 years. Most people don't use up over 200 miles driving around their town in a day. When you are going to go out of town on a trip every few months or so, sure, unplug it and take it with you, but that is far less wear on any kind of contacts than daily.

Some people tend to forget this about the daily driving scenario. That mobile connector is only for plugging into outlets. If you do need to charge somewhere in your city during the day, when would you ever have to resort to an outlet? Superchargers, CHAdeMO, J1772 public stations, Destination charging wall connectors: these are usually available somewhere in town if you need them and none of them use the mobile connector to plug into an outlet.

That's a terrible idea. You are moving the wear onto a different set of spring/compression contacts that are much more expensive. That makes no sense.

It does not hurt anything to just leave the whole mobile cable plugged in there at home and hanging on a hook on the wall. I've been doing it that way for nearly 6 years. Most people don't use up over 200 miles driving around their town in a day. When you are going to go out of town on a trip every few months or so, sure, unplug it and take it with you, but that is far less wear on any kind of contacts than daily.

Some people tend to forget this about the daily driving scenario. That mobile connector is only for plugging into outlets. If you do need to charge somewhere in your city during the day, when would you ever have to resort to an outlet? Superchargers, CHAdeMO, J1772 public stations, Destination charging wall connectors: these are usually available somewhere in town if you need them and none of them use the mobile connector to plug into an outlet.
Hi Rocky. I use a Nema 14-50 with the mobile connector that came with the car. I have a spare mobile connector that I keep in the car. I drive no more than 30 miles a day, most days a lot less. Is there any reason to get a wall connector, and if I did get one can I plug it into the Nema 14-50 and get 48 amp charging? Thanks very much,
Carter

Hi Rocky. I use a Nema 14-50 with the mobile connector that came with the car. I have a spare mobile connector that I keep in the car. I drive no more than 30 miles a day, most days a lot less. Is there any reason to get a wall connector, and if I did get one can I plug it into the Nema 14-50 and get 48 amp charging? Thanks very much,
Carter
You may not plug a WC into a 14-50 and get 48a charging. Well, technically it would be possible, it's a manual switch in the device, but it wouldn't be a good idea. The 14-50 is rated for 40a max continuous. So, you would need to set the WC to have a max of 40a.

If you have an LR version that would give you 40a charging over the 32a charging. Not a significant difference. I do not believe it would be a good investment for you, unless there were other things driving the decision. Something like multiple cars and would like to use the load sharing feature. Or it's outside and could use better weather protection.

Carter

The V2 mobile connector is limited to 32A continuous.

You may not plug a WC into a 14-50 and get 48a charging. Well, technically it would be possible, it's a manual switch in the device, but it wouldn't be a good idea. The 14-50 is rated for 40a max continuous. So, you would need to set the WC to have a max of 40a.

If you have an LR version that would give you 40a charging over the 32a charging. Not a significant difference. I do not believe it would be a good investment for you, unless there were other things driving the decision. Something like multiple cars and would like to use the load sharing feature. Or it's outside and could use better weather protection.
Thanks very much. The wall charger at this point doesn’t make sense for me.

Carter
You could add a plug and cord to a wall connector and plug it into your 14-50, or you could hard wire it in place of the outlet, however it would only be good for 40a charging not 48a. If you didn't already have the second mobile connector, then I might see a point to doing that, but as it is, I wouldn't.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: hcdavis3
Here I am still using my original 1st generation mobile connector from 2014 still hanging on the wall. I finally got my signature wall connector from the referral program that took for-freaking-ever because they were so backlogged, but I am not going to plug it into my 14-50 outlet. I am going to get conduit and run it hardwired, the way they are supposed to be.

Reactions: miimura and GSP