Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Only 8A on 240v? What am I doing wrong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay ... just unplugged the Y-adapter and plugged the line to the outlet directly into the 240v dryer outlet.

NO difference. The charge current is still showing 8/8A.

This would seem to point to the outlet, which is a Leviton 14-50 (to match up with the Tesla Mobile Charger cable dongle (the only one supplied for 240v application). Everything seems to accept the setup, but it just doesn't deliver enough Amps to get the job done.

Yeah, a wall charger would be nice to have, but I've already spent over $250 on this, and paying an electrician $6-700 for a wiring job and Tesla about the same for the wall charger is a bit more than my budget can handle. Others have made this work, so I'm scratching my head figuring out why mine won't!

Okay, I think the others have covered it for how messed up this setup is. But in case you're dead set on getting this mash-up to work, my experience with the Leviton 14-50 might help.

My UMC also occasional turns red and throttles down when the receptacle overheats, and it's the receptacle, NOT the UMC that's overheating. Turned out that I didn't torque down one of the lines enough. If it's solid core (instead of stranded), the flat connectors aren't getting enough contact area with the round cable to correctly pass through enough current. Flatten the cable or use stranded cabling to improve the contact area.

Hope this helps!

Okay, thanks everyone for the input. I'll buy the adapter dongle and install a 14-30 outlet in place of the 14-50 I used.

I wasn't trying to save money, since the stuff I bought for my setup was more than $35! I had seen this method on YouTube and thought it made sense. But if the adapter dongle communicates with the TMC, maybe it will solve the problem.

Okay, thanks everyone for the input. I'll buy the adapter dongle and install a 14-30 outlet in place of the 14-50 I used.

I wasn't trying to save money, since the stuff I bought for my setup was more than $35! I had seen this method on YouTube and thought it made sense. But if the adapter dongle communicates with the TMC, maybe it will solve the problem.
Was it a recent YouTube video? Tesla and third parties have Tesla Mobile Connector dongles for every type of receptacle you could think of and more. No need for adapters or even random extension cords since you can even buy a Tesla handle extension cord.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H

This makes even less sense as to why the Tesla 14-30 connector isn't the easier solution. An unsafe jerryrig option is better than a safe Tesla 14-30 connector which is cheaper?

This makes even less sense as to why the Tesla 14-30 connector isn't the easier solution. An unsafe jerryrig option is better than a safe Tesla 14-30 connector which is cheaper?

It sounded to me like the OP may not have even been aware that there was a dongle they could buy from Tesla to accomplish plugging in the mobile connector. While a lot of people end up at a site like TMC to ask these questions before purchase, not everyone does.

Like a lot of other people, I will look up videos on stuff when trying to do / fix / buy something, so there isnt anything unusual about someone finding a youtube video and trying to follow the suggestions.

With that being said, OP, whomever's youtube video you found suggesting this type of hack, if they didnt clearly spell out why they might or might not choose to do this vs buying the adapter, or spell out clearly that it wasnt to code, etc, I might re consider consulting their channel for anything else.

It sounded to me like the OP may not have even been aware that there was a dongle they could buy from Tesla to accomplish plugging in the mobile connector. While a lot of people end up at a site like TMC to ask these questions before purchase, not everyone does.

Like a lot of other people, I will look up videos on stuff when trying to do / fix / buy something, so there isnt anything unusual about someone finding a youtube video and trying to follow the suggestions.

With that being said, OP, whomever's youtube video you found suggesting this type of hack, if they didnt clearly spell out why they might or might not choose to do this vs buying the adapter, or spell out clearly that it wasnt to code, etc, I might re consider consulting their channel for anything else.
Yeah, thanks. Some of us are 'handymen' who like to do our own stuff. Since my dryer outlet was only about a foot from the wall separating the laundry room from the garage, it seemed sensible to me to just punch through the wall and run a lead to the garage side. Then it's just a matter of sharing the dryer outlet with the dryer and the charger (especially since we don't dry clothes overnight when I'd be charging the car).

Then there was the matter of the supplied dongle having a 14-50 plug, so attaching a 14-50 outlet to the extension line seemed fine, since I would instruct the car to limit draw to 24A (below spec for both 14-30 and 14-50 wiring and fixtures.). I had no idea the dongles might have chips in them to regulate current.

So, I appreciate those who were helpful and didn't scold me. ;)

Yeah, thanks. Some of us are 'handymen' who like to do our own stuff. Since my dryer outlet was only about a foot from the wall separating the laundry room from the garage, it seemed sensible to me to just punch through the wall and run a lead to the garage side. Then it's just a matter of sharing the dryer outlet with the dryer and the charger (especially since we don't dry clothes overnight when I'd be charging the car).

Then there was the matter of the supplied dongle having a 14-50 plug, so attaching a 14-50 outlet to the extension line seemed fine, since I would instruct the car to limit draw to 24A (below spec for both 14-30 and 14-50 wiring and fixtures.). I had no idea the dongles might have chips in them to regulate current.

So, I appreciate those who were helpful and didn't scold me. ;)
As others mentioned, first thing to try is to plug in your Mobile Connector to a normal 120V outlet and see if it works. Then next is try with a 14-30 adapter directly on your dryer outlet (no extension cord/Y-cable funny business). Make sure the connectors/adapters are all attached firmly and fully seated. Those will at least eliminate the Mobile Connector as a problem.

Well, wonder of wonders - when I plugged in tonight I got an on-screen error message that said to unplug everything and then re-plug ... and VOILA!, I watched the Amps zoom up to 32!

I quickly adjusted it down to 24A max, and it's rocking along like nothing ever happened. I can only assume I somehow didn't have the adapter dongle fully plugged in. Yee-ha! :D

Well, wonder of wonders - when I plugged in tonight I got an on-screen error message that said to unplug everything and then re-plug ... and VOILA!, I watched the Amps zoom up to 32!
If only someone like me in comment 5 two days ago and several other people since then had said "Make sure the adapter is fully installed in the UMC."

Its great that it works now. Not so great that it took two days, a dismantled Dryer cord+14-50 outlet you didn't need, and so on.

This is still a dangerous setup. I strongly recommend snagging a hardwired EVSE from Tesla (the Wall Connector). You can DIY it if you're handy and will only need another $150ish or less in conduit and wiring if the run isn't long.

There are posts of these types of things melting and catching fire.

Reactions: DuncanM
This is still a dangerous setup. I strongly recommend snagging a hardwired EVSE from Tesla (the Wall Connector). You can DIY it if you're handy and will only need another $150ish or less in conduit and wiring if the run isn't long.

There are posts of these types of things melting and catching fire.
I don't see the point of a wall connector in this case. If the OP switches to a gas dryer, all he will need is to wire a 14-30 outlet in the garage and seal off the one in the laundry room (he can use that as a junction box).

I suppose we’ll set aside the problems with “punching through” the fire-rated wall separating the garage from your house because I can’t imagine that’s gonna land in any appreciable way either.
Just saw your post. My 'punching through' consisted of carefully drilling a 5/8" hole in the sheetrock, then mounting a double-gang junction box on the garage side to hold the 14-50 outlet. That didn't compromise the fire-rated wall any more than the light switch box right next to it, nor the garage door opener switch above it. Maybe I'll seal it with some fire resistive caulk, but I didn't do anything contrary to code.

(And yeah, the 'beauty plate on the inside wall is just to semi-camouflage the installation - which I placed above the dryer on purpose for ease of access.)

Attachments

• Charger Install 1.jpg
    Charger Install 1.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Charger Install 2.jpg
    Charger Install 2.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 33
I don't see the point of a wall connector in this case. If the OP switches to a gas dryer, all he will need is to wire a 14-30 outlet in the garage and seal off the one in the laundry room (he can use that as a junction box).
Right. I have the 14-30 dongle on the way from Tesla, but since the 14-50 outlet is actually a bit heavier-duty than the Leviton 14-30 outlet I just bought (the 14-50 has nice brass terminals vs the 14-30's steel ones, and I don't like the external terminals of the 14-30, either), I'll probably just leave the 14-50 outlet in place.

This setup apparently troubles some members, but there's really nothing amiss with it, other than mine and my wife's responsibility to use only one of the devices at a time. I can always buy a switch to isolate the current to either the charger or the dryer, and I may do that.

Again, thanks to everyone for their help!

My 'punching through' consisted of carefully drilling a 5/8" hole in the sheetrock, then mounting a double-gang junction box on the garage side to hold the 14-50 outlet.

I don't know anything about code, but kudos for making it tidy. I would've *actually* punched through:

1694355367955.jpeg

Don't take this thread too personal, wiring and installation matters are definitely one topic where folks tend to get more ornary than normal.

Congrats on the car and getting your home charging working!

Right. I have the 14-30 dongle on the way from Tesla, but since the 14-50 outlet is actually a bit heavier-duty than the Leviton 14-30 outlet I just bought (the 14-50 has nice brass terminals vs the 14-30's steel ones, and I don't like the external terminals of the 14-30, either), I'll probably just leave the 14-50 outlet in place.

This setup apparently troubles some members, but there's really nothing amiss with it, other than mine and my wife's responsibility to use only one of the devices at a time. I can always buy a switch to isolate the current to either the charger or the dryer, and I may do that.

Again, thanks to everyone for their help!
I would not buy any Leviton branded outlets for EV charging, they only have half sized contacts if you look into the sockets. Practically any other brand has larger contacts even the $10 one at Home Depot or Leviton.

NeoCharge makes an automatic switch that is UL listed, but it's intended for situations where the 14-30 is in the garage (not having to punch through walls).

As others pointed out, exposed flexible cord into a wall is not code compliant. Flexible conduit like Romex needs to be either fully inside the drywall or metal-clad or metal conduit (EMT) must be used if exposed. Of course it is up to you to do your own risk analysis.

Last edited:
Reactions: garth_angst