Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 20 EV parking bays, all ICEd

Model S EU#P1088 (P85)
    Backing a Leaf into a charging bay would be stupid

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkebo View Post
    I believe that you are supposed to stop before you hit the EVSE
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkebo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry33 View Post
    I believe that you are supposed to stop before you hit the EVSE
    He meant because the Leaf charge port is in the nose.

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    I never backed into spots until I got my Roadster. It's impossible to see anything backing out (traffic from the sides). The backup camera helps though.

As for the spots, that's tough. Not sure there is much to do other than talk to the management there maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by markwj View Post
    The Hong Kong Government is aggressively deploying EV charging stations in Government and Private car parks around Hong Kong. Target was 1,000 stations by the end of June, and looks like they have hit it. The stations in Government car parks are 220V 13A sockets on the walls, and most car parks are getting about 20 charging bays. The bays are marked "EV Charging".

To put that in perspective, that is 4 charging points per EV on the road, today. A case of 'if you build it, they will come'?

Today, I went to the Cheung Sha Wan Government building car park, to have a look. Nice setup, but all 20 bays had ICE cars parked in them.

Given the number of EVs in Hong Kong, I have mixed thoughts about this. If the bays were restricted to just EV parking+charging, then most likely there would be on average 19-to-20 bays sitting empty all day long. In a few years time, who know, but today that would be the reality. But, allowing ICE vehicles to park there means the bays are next to useless, as EVs can't get near them.

Thoughts?

Attachment 7469
    AFAIK it really depends on the Management company. Wilson and E-Park usually keep those charging bays clear but the one managing CSW gov bldg never care about anything anyway....

Quote Originally Posted by doug View Post
    Backing into parking spots is how people are taught to park in Japan, and probably HK as well. It's considered safer since you don't have to reverse into traffic (often with narrow lanes) as you leave. I have a number of Japanese friends over here in the States that still back into these huge spots at the grocery store.

In terms of usage, I think 2 of those 20 spots should be marked and enforced as EV only. As the numbers of EVs on the road increases, the percentage of those charging spots that are enforced as EV only should increase. Basically, it's great that the infrastructure in now in place, but the enforcement should scale with need. No point in having 20 empty parking spots when parking is at a premium.
    Re hospital backing in: I know of several places where a "back-in" rule is posted because the building management is trying to protect either plants, or painted walls from the soot that ICE's leave upon startup. So as EV's take over the world, the signs can change to "because it's safer!!".

Re graduated enforcement: I live in a condo that is part hotel, and to prepare for the future I am leading a project to convert two of our very limited parking stalls to EV charging stations. There is valid concern that removing two spots will negatively impact the hotel's customers, especially because there is (would be) very little use for the next few years, here in Victoria BC. Other hotels have outdoor EVCS and get maybe 5 visits a year. You don't want a completely full parking lot while the two EVCS sit empty. So the signage I have come up with so far is "Priority for Electric Vehicle charging. Others may use when no parking spots available." I'm considering adding that "Violators will be crushed" phrase!

Owner: electric-assist bicycle
    Dreamer: Model S

Backing in has a few inherent disadvantages that:

a) it would take longer to park your vehicle thereby slowing everyone behind you. Imagine a multistoried parking lot at airports or at ball games and think of the no. vehicles all streaming in to find a spot before the game starts. I work at such an office building with around 2000 parking spots that all get filled in about two hours between 7 and 9 am.

b) I would rather park in 10 seconds and take 30 to back out, rather than a minute to back in and 10 seconds to get out.

c) you have to pass the open spot to back in, and there is a good chance the car behind you has followed you closely enough that you now cannot back in, unless he backs off a few feet, and if there a chain of cars you are doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by mkjayakumar View Post
    Backing in has a few inherent disadvantages that:
    a) it would take longer to park your vehicle thereby slowing everyone behind you. Imagine a multistoried parking lot at airports or at ball games and think of the no. vehicles all streaming in to find a spot before the game starts.
    Don't you have the exact same problem -- but worse -- at the end of the game when parking head first?
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

Yes, the problem is there but definitely not worse. Backing out is much quicker than backing in.

Quote Originally Posted by mkjayakumar View Post
    Yes, the problem is there but definitely not worse. Backing out is much quicker than backing in.
    ??? Why ???

The problem seems to be symmetric to me.

Reverse park: forward turn past the space, reverse in. Leaving: drive straight out,
    Forward park: drive straight in. Leaving: reverse out past the space, forward out.
    PLEASE NOTE:
    These musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership.
    My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my express consent.

Thread Information