Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unveiling Official Invite in LA on 3/31 in Evening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Reeler

Decade of Pure EV Driving
Oct 14, 2015
Denver, CO
Capture.JPG

Is this for real? If so, then they probably did this to make sure people working that day get a chance to go to a store after work and reserve their model 3. Also, I'd expect an authentic invitation to have a specific time mentioned, for when event starts.

Is this for real? If so, then they probably did this to make sure people working that day get a chance to go to a store after work and reserve their model 3. Also, I'd expect an authentic invitation to have a specific time mentioned, for when event starts.

If this is legit, it means that basically everyone putting a deposit down at the store (whether you lined up the day before and slept on the street) or rolled in during your lunch break will all be reserving sight unseen.

I'm not surprised that the invitations don't have showtime yet. They're so frickin' tight-lipped about all this, and I'm not convinced they themselves have worked out the logistics. We should know in maybe another couple weeks, but I'm not holding my breath for anything sooner than that.

Oh, and I'll be taking that day off from work to hang out at the local store that just opened near me a couple weeks ago. Not trying to be a door-buster, but not going to wait too long, either.

I'm not surprised that the invitations don't have showtime yet. They're so frickin' tight-lipped about all this, and I'm not convinced they themselves have worked out the logistics. We should know in maybe another couple weeks, but I'm not holding my breath for anything sooner than that.

Oh, and I'll be taking that day off from work to hang out at the local store that just opened near me a couple weeks ago. Not trying to be a door-buster, but not going to wait too long, either.

Just remember to add at least 2 hours from start time at these reveals. Though with a car called the 3, it might be 3 hours. [emoji6]

Still so many unanswered questions. Namely:

How will reservations be issued? Will the Event's reservations be entered into the system first, and then the stores are entered the next day prior to the online reservations beginning? What order to you issue reservation numbers? If it's purely by time zone, then technically Europe gets all the first ones (though yes, I know, higher-optioned orders will be made first) and California reservations are the last of the March 31 numbers issued. I can't imagine the first cars off the line going to Europe (no offense to Europeans -- just thinking about Tesla's history here).

Hopefully Elon/Tesla will clear this up prior to the event.

Just remember to add at least 2 hours from start time at these reveals. Though with a car called the 3, it might be 3 hours. [emoji6]

Good point ;)

- - - Updated - - -

If it's purely by time zone, then technically Europe gets all the first ones (though yes, I know, higher-optioned orders will be made first) and California reservations are the last of the March 31 numbers issued.

My guess here is it will be different reservations for each region. So your NA-reservation is totally unrelated to any EU-reservations. And I am thinking this "reserve in shops prior to event" will only happen in NA, and online reservations will open for "everywhere" at the same time in the morning hours PST.

I bumped into someone working for Tesla on opening stores in the UK, and he told me that stores in the UK will only start taking reservations on April 1st, so there is no time-zone advantage over those reserving in store in the US on the evenign of 31st.

Elon's remarks about "not showing everything" and "first photographs" at the reveal concern me a bit.

There had better be an actual prototype Model 3 there, or Tesla's going to be the subject of (justified) derision.

I bumped into someone working for Tesla on opening stores in the UK, and he told me that stores in the UK will only start taking reservations on April 1st, so there is no time-zone advantage over those reserving in store in the US on the evenign of 31st.

Seems like I guessed right then... :)

- - - Updated - - -

Elon's remarks about "not showing everything" and "first photographs" at the reveal concern me a bit.

There had better be an actual prototype Model 3 there, or Tesla's going to be the subject of (justified) derision.

Don't you worry. The WILL show "an actual prototype Model 3" there, just as they did when they unveiled the Model S and Model X. And it will not be 100% like the production version, just as with the Model S and Model X. And the first photographs of the car people may be able to see, is of the prototype on the stage at the unveiling. Just like Musk sad when he was asked about when we may see the first photograph of the Model 3.

I don't get why so many people are taking this out of context. When the reporter asked when we'll see the first photographs of the Model 3, EM answered with on the 31st. The reporter would have got the same answer had he asked when we'll see the first prototype, or when we'll see the Model 3 drive onto the stage, but that wasn't the question.

Everybody is reading into this because he answered the question as it was asked. No, there will be no photographs of the Model 3 released prior to the event. Yes, there will be a few hundred thousand photographs taken that night, and within minutes of the reveal, the photographs will be available to the rest of the world.

Come on, guys, stop freaking out about the reporter's use of the word "photograph"!