Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gas Stations Installing Fast Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Green Car Reports talks about gas stations starting to install fast charging stations:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news...gers-and-gas-stations-a-match-made-in-indiana

... as being "sheer irony."

I don't know about that; it seems only logical to me. Most gas stations make little or nothing on the gas they sell - they make their money on convenience store sales. So charging stations would seem to increase their business, especially since persons doing charging usually have 20 to 30 minutes to kill (time enough to eat a bucket of chicken). Even better is when someone else pays for the installation of the charging station and the electricity! Sounds like a classic win-win.

Green Car Reports talks about gas stations starting to install fast charging stations:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news...gers-and-gas-stations-a-match-made-in-indiana

... as being "sheer irony."

I don't know about that; it seems only logical to me. Most gas stations make little or nothing on the gas they sell - they make their money on convenience store sales. So charging stations would seem to increase their business, especially since persons doing charging usually have 20 to 30 minutes to kill (time enough to eat a bucket of chicken). Even better is when someone else pays for the installation of the charging station and the electricity! Sounds like a classic win-win.

As a start, it may be worth noting that the Effingham, IL supercharger is at a gas station.

Sheetz is a Pennsylvania-based chain of gas stations/convenience stores/restaurants.

They also offer CHAdeMO at a few sites now. Last week, I had a sandwich at this Sheetz | (Plugshare) while my car drew ~38 kW. This allowed me to save time between the Somerset, PA and Edison, NJ Superchargers.

With one CHAdeMO stop in Mechanicsburg, it's 290 miles, whereas it's 345 miles via the pure Supercharger route that passes through Maryland.

Sheetz is a Pennsylvania-based chain of gas stations/convenience stores/restaurants.

They also offer CHAdeMO at a few sites now. Last week, I had a sandwich at this Sheetz | (Plugshare) while my car drew ~38 kW. This allowed me to save time between the Somerset, PA and Edison, NJ Superchargers. With one CHAdeMO stop in Mechanicsburg, it's 290 miles, whereas it's 345 miles via the pure Supercharger route that passes through Maryland.

I think I'm going to be glad I have the CHAdeMO adapter now, though my spouse thinks I was nuts to buy it...

They also offer CHAdeMO at a few sites now. Last week, I had a sandwich at this Sheetz | (Plugshare) while my car drew ~38 kW. This allowed me to save time between the Somerset, PA and Edison, NJ Superchargers.

With one CHAdeMO stop in Mechanicsburg, it's 290 miles, whereas it's 345 miles via the pure Supercharger route that passes through Maryland.

Yes I have ordered a CHAdeMO for use at the Sheetz in PA as well, especially up toward State College, where the trout fishing is spectacular, and the Tesla Supercharger buildout is woefully lacking and/or behind schedule.

Yes I have ordered a CHAdeMO for use at the Sheetz in PA as well, especially up toward State College, where the trout fishing is spectacular, and the Tesla Supercharger buildout is woefully lacking and/or behind schedule.

Yes, really looking forward to SCs on the i-80 corridor. Hopefully that CHAdeMO in state college is working for our trip out to Pittsburgh in May.

It makes complete sense to me:

-Energy for transport is energy, whatever the form.
-I think they are being smart by future-proofing
-Just think how convenient it would be if all gas stations had fast chargers! Better yet, free SCs!

I've got to believe that it's coming within the next 5 years. The obvious place to start is with local governments providing an incentive or a requirement, that all new "super-pumper" stations (think 20 or more gas pumps) as well as new interstate truck stops, have EV charging. Eventually one of the major players will see the competitive advantage to this and adopt it as part of their construction standards - then all others will follow suit. Most truck stops and super-pumpers already have the electric service, so it's just a matter of providing the proper incentives. I can't wait!

Gas stations are places I would never go to or hang out if it wasn't for the need to fill up my car. They sell nothing but terrible, overpriced and unhealthy food. They are mostly dirty and not inviting. I really don't want to spend time there. Their stores are designed to shot when you have 2 minutes to spend. They usually have very limited or no parking spaces.

EV charging stations require very little. Very little underground work, they can be built at any existing parking lot. EV charging stations are much better located at strip malls where you have a few businesses and retailers already, where you have plenty of parking already, where you have commercial power already.

Gas stations are places I would never go to or hang out if it wasn't for the need to fill up my car. They sell nothing but terrible, overpriced and unhealthy food. They are mostly dirty and not inviting. I really don't want to spend time there. Their stores are designed to shop when you have 2 minutes to spend. They usually have very limited or no parking spaces.
QUOTE]

Well, I hadn't thought about that; on the other hand, there are decent truck stops (some of them are really pretty good) with a restaurant, where a few CHaDEmo stations would be great. Enterprising EV drivers may even take a shower while charging.

Gas stations are places I would never go to or hang out if it wasn't for the need to fill up my car. They sell nothing but terrible, overpriced and unhealthy food. They are mostly dirty and not inviting. I really don't want to spend time there. Their stores are designed to shot when you have 2 minutes to spend. They usually have very limited or no parking spaces.

EV charging stations require very little. Very little underground work, they can be built at any existing parking lot. EV charging stations are much better located at strip malls where you have a few businesses and retailers already, where you have plenty of parking already, where you have commercial power already.

EV stations can also be indoors. Handy in the cold. Bringing a new meaning to drive-in. The spa e efficiency is pretty good, as Tesla sites show. I sometimes look at my local gas station, which has 4 pumps, and think about the Tesla spaces it could have. If you say a 60 battery charges 3mi/min, co servatively, and then say that 3% of miles are Supercharged, then you could say it's like a gas car filling at 100mi/min. Not a good rate compared to efficient gas cars. But, now imagine a gas station were like Supercharger sites. Say for every 10 spots you could have Superchargers in 1 spot, a transformer in another, and 8 stalls. I think my local gas station could have 12 spots at least and then it could serve 300mi/min, per current gas pump.

Last edited:
Gas station owners make very little on gas, pennies. However the volume of turnover is high (5-10) min per pump. In order for gas stations to make money on FAST chargers they will initially need to make at least $5 per charge. They currently only make about $1 out of every $50 of gas sold and charging is 5-10 times slower than filling up. They will also make out on not having to pay EPA costs etc. 75% of gas station profit comes from the convenience store (aka snacks, beer, trinkets). They'll be no love lost when they go all charging as the longer people hang around the more they'll sell .

It'll be a slow transition as EV's become more mainstream, but it's a coming.