Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hamilton Supercharger: Horrible Tesla navigation directions going southbound?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else found it near impossible to properly hit the Hamilton Supercharger going Southbound on the NJ turnpike? The navigation seems to consistently not give the appropriate directions. It seems like the navigation assumes you are on the "cars & trucks" side of the highway, and if you are on the "cars" side of the highway it doesn't realize it needs you to exit earlier.

When you're on the cars only side, it seems like you need to take exit 7A which is about a mile before the navigation wants you to exit. So, you pass 7A, and then a mile later the navigation is telling you to exit and there simply is no exit, so you pass it.

I know for the navigation and GPS, it is likely too difficult to reliably tell if you're on the cars or cars&trucks side of the turnpike. But regardless, the navigation to get there going southbound always seems to fail me and I end up passing it.

Anyone else run in to this problem?

I think once you know you need to go there, you just know to get off on 7A or I-195W.

After the first or second time, do you really need a reminder a 1/4 mile sooner? I'm pretty sure the difference in exit lanes is a lot less than one mile.

Sorry to be so harsh, but maybe pay more attention to the road and maybe not rely on GPS so much?

Has anyone else found it near impossible to properly hit the Hamilton Supercharger going Southbound on the NJ turnpike? The navigation seems to consistently not give the appropriate directions. It seems like the navigation assumes you are on the "cars & trucks" side of the highway, and if you are on the "cars" side of the highway it doesn't realize it needs you to exit earlier.

When you're on the cars only side, it seems like you need to take exit 7A which is about a mile before the navigation wants you to exit. So, you pass 7A, and then a mile later the navigation is telling you to exit and there simply is no exit, so you pass it.

I know for the navigation and GPS, it is likely too difficult to reliably tell if you're on the cars or cars&trucks side of the turnpike. But regardless, the navigation to get there going southbound always seems to fail me and I end up passing it.

You can report this behavior to Tesla by contacting [email protected]. If the navigation system isn't giving correct instructions for some destinations, it should be fixed.

I had the chance to drive south on the NJTP this weekend. The problem is not the cars/cars+trucks lane. The problem is that they just recently extended the cars/cars+truck lanes south a few more exits. What the Tesla maps show is the old single lane (all traffic) that used to be there, with the original exit one mile south of where the new exit is for both new lanes. So when the turnpike sign says "Exit 7A 1 Mile Ahead" the Tesla Nav is saying "Exit 2 miles ahead". (the exit signs here are also identical in both the cars and cars+truck lanes). So yes, I now see how that can be confusing and would cause someone unfamiliar with the area to miss the exit thinking there is another exit exactly one mile past what's indicted by the highway signs.

But once one does make this mistake, it's pretty easy to just remember that for the next time that the Hamilton Marketplace SC is off of Exit 7A and just follow the signs. Just remember not to rely on the GPS at this interchange. And the Tesla Nav gives you enough warning to make the right exit, it's just off by one mile.

For a TRIP using Superchargers one should carry map sketches and info on SpCs, both planned and alternatives. Then if Nav mucks up or the 17in screen fails, etc you still can get to where you are going or not miss using an alternative route back home. I never have enough info with me in the car and it is much easier to bounce between SpC <=> Google Maps at home rather than on the car screen. FWIW.
--