Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Highway FSD experience: Any chance that FSD is using a different navigation engine?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In metro Atlanta, we have reversible toll lanes alongside of selected stretches of interstate. I've used the ones near me, paralleling I-75 just outside the Perimeter (I-285) on the north side of town since they opened nearly five years ago. They run south into the city in the morning, and then flip directions in the afternoon, and are separate from the main highway, with entrances and exits at roads are not served by the main part of I-75. They're great time savers.

Unfortunately, Tesla navigation has never properly understood them and never suggests using them. I have always have toll lanes enabled in the system's options. Waze understands them, generally knows when they're open and in which direction, and frequently suggests using them.

Last week, I installed FSD v11 (2022.45.15), and it was still switched on this morning after I had experimented with it a bit on city streets this weekend. (Aside: I still don't like the way it drives on city steeers, at least not around the small, historic downtown where we live.)

When I got in the car to come to work this morning, FSD was still enabled after my weekend experiment with it, and I was stunned to notice that Tesla navigation was suggesting the use of the reversible toll lanes - the same lanes that heretofore it had never wanted to use.

I wonder if this is sheer coincidence - has Tesla navigation just been updated to understand and make use of these toll lanes? Or does FSD use a completely different navigation engine? When I do the same drive tomorrow, I will first let it generate directions with FSD turned off, and then do so again with FSD enabled, to see if there's a difference.

I did let the car drive on FSD once I got close to the on-ramp. Unfortunately, I wasn't terribly impressed.

• Entry onto the highway: the car made a nice, smooth right turn onto the on-ramp, but then was much too slow to accelerate. It was still doing about 35 or 40 mph when merging became possible. I took over, sped up and merged on my own.
  • The car's behavior on the reversible toll lanes was not great, likely due to bad mapping data. When using EAP on this stretch, it's always slowed down at a couple of specific points, with the max speed indicator falling precipitously. This happens in areas where the toll lanes are traveling above exit ramps from the main highway, and the car probably thinks that it's on those lanes, though the map does show it continuing on the proper path. The behavior on FSD this morning was basically the same. I ended up driving manually most of the way on the toll lanes, as I usually do.
  • As we approached I-285 ("The Perimeter"), Tesla navigation wanted me to take it around the city rather than stick with I-75, where I can drive in the HOV lane. Even when 75 is congested, the HOV lane is usually fast enough to make it the faster choice vs. 285, and 285 is riddled with semis and potholes, so I avoid it unless Waze says it's going to be significantly faster than 75's HOV lane. Waze confirmed this morning that 75 HOV was the better option, so I overrode the car's suggestion.
  • Once on the main part of I-75 (the toll lanes merge into regular I-75 at the Perimeter), the car did a pretty good job. I got in the HOV lane and the car stayed there; previously, NOA would insist on getting out of the HOV lane all the time, even with HOV lanes enabled in the navigation settings. The car did slow more than it needed to when traffic in the adjacent lane was moving more slowly than the HOV lane was, and I had to override it with some go-pedal.
  • There are two left-hand exits from the HOV lane on my route: one at Northside Drive and another at Williams Street. Very occasionally when driving on EAP, the car will momentarily veer towards these exits, forcing me to take over. (I'm extra cautious in these two areas.) This morning, FSD started veering towards both of them, and I took over.
  • As you approach Midtown Atlanta on I-75, the HOV lane veers off to the left of the main highway just north of where I-85 joins I-75, and then rejoins the combined 75/85 ("The Connector") about 3/4 of a mile later. This morning, FSD wanted to leave the HOV lane about half a mile north of where the divergence takes place. It would have had to have gotten over 3 lanes in order to stay on 75 south, as getting over just one or two lanes would have put us on 85 north. Changing three lanes in such a short amount of time would have been difficult and dangerous. Moreover, the HOV lane was moving very fluidly, probably better than the main highway, so there was no reason to make the change. I overrode the car's wish and stayed in the HOV lane.
  • After leaving Downtown Atlanta, I need to eventually get four or five lanes to the right so I can take 85 south near the airport. I usually start doing this just after the Grady Curve while I am still Downtown, as the main lanes of the highway are usually no slower than the HOV lane from this point forward, and some people seem to (incorrectly) want to treat the HOV lane as a super passing lane, driving 20-30 mph over the speed limit in it, and I really don't like being tailgated. So I like to start moving over early. Today, I decided to see how long FSD would take to move over. We were still in the HOV lane less than 2 miles from my exit to I-85, and I wasn't convinced that the car was going to be able to get all the way over in the needed amount of time, so I initiated the first two lane changes myself. (I was also unsure how long the double-dashed line separating the HOV lane from the regular lanes would remain; once it goes double-solid, you're not supposed to cross it, and based on my EAP experience, I know the car is good about observing that rule, so I didn't want to take a chance that it find itself in a Catch-22, finally wanting to change lanes but being unable to do so due to a double-solid line that it couldn't cross.) I did allow the car to decide when to make the last lane change, and while it waited longer than I would have, it did indeed find a good spot and slipped right into it.
  • I did notice at one point that the car did a good job of nudging over when it was next to a big truck that was pretty close to the line. I appreciated that very much.
I think I will probably let FSD try to drive me home tonight, just to see how it does, and then turn it off until the next iteration comes through. I don't feel that its behavior on the highway is significantly better than EAP's, and I like deciding when to make lane changes and what route to take.
Screenshot 2023-04-17 1.55.37 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: JHCCAZ and enemji
I haven't tried the reversible lanes here in the north end of Seattle yet. In the past, NoA (pre FSD beta) hasn't liked using them and wouldn't avoid hitting the barriers set up when the reversible lanes weren't supposed to be used. I don't get up north very often lately to try this out.

I've experienced the left-HOV-exit "boogie" here while in NoA, and I haven't tried it yet with 11.3.6.

In my area, FSD beta 11.3.6 will not depart a left-lane, single-white-line HOV lane to make a planned right lane exit from I-405 east of Seattle. It's interesting that in your area, the software appears to be willing to leave an HOV lane for this kind of event.

Based on my limited experiences driving in Atlanta, that area should be a real acid test for FSD beta.

• Informative
Reactions: JHCCAZ and evannole
I've seen reports of FSD trying to always take the reversable lanes (a few months ago at least) but my car never has tried to.
Going through the connector downtown, the car probably acts differently if you are navigating to 85 or 75, I go 85 and it seems to work well for me.

Yes, the latest updates are a brand-new stack on the highway. It's the streets version that we've been running for a while instead of Navigate on Autopilot that has been around for 4+ years.

Getting through some intersections is problematic because of the way that the maps are built. Many map segments end at Intersections and that can cause issues. The downtown connector is a good example, coming north, which line segment goes through town? Is it I-75 or I-85?
That can be seen when coming to the split on the north side of the connector. Does the nav tell you to turn left when going to I-85 or turn right when going to I-75? I think that it's I-75 that gets the notification, not I-85.
It happens coming south on GA 365 (aka I-985) from NGA mountains. There's a split where US 411 turns off of GA 365 (to the left). GA 365 is by far the main road, but the road is drawn where the nav tells you to turn right, even though the road is straight through.

Reactions: evannole
In metro Atlanta, we have reversible toll lanes alongside of selected stretches of interstate. I've used the ones near me, paralleling I-75 just outside the Perimeter (I-285) on the north side of town since they opened nearly five years ago. They run south into the city in the morning, and then flip directions in the afternoon, and are separate from the main highway, with entrances and exits at roads are not served by the main part of I-75. They're great time savers.

Unfortunately, Tesla navigation has never properly understood them and never suggests using them. I have always have toll lanes enabled in the system's options. Waze understands them, generally knows when they're open and in which direction, and frequently suggests using them.

Last week, I installed FSD v11 (2022.45.15), and it was still switched on this morning after I had experimented with it a bit on city streets this weekend. (Aside: I still don't like the way it drives on city steeers, at least not around the small, historic downtown where we live.)

When I got in the car to come to work this morning, FSD was still enabled after my weekend experiment with it, and I was stunned to notice that Tesla navigation was suggesting the use of the reversible toll lanes - the same lanes that heretofore it had never wanted to use.

I wonder if this is sheer coincidence - has Tesla navigation just been updated to understand and make use of these toll lanes? Or does FSD use a completely different navigation engine? When I do the same drive tomorrow, I will first let it generate directions with FSD turned off, and then do so again with FSD enabled, to see if there's a difference.

I did let the car drive on FSD once I got close to the on-ramp. Unfortunately, I wasn't terribly impressed.

• Entry onto the highway: the car made a nice, smooth right turn onto the on-ramp, but then was much too slow to accelerate. It was still doing about 35 or 40 mph when merging became possible. I took over, sped up and merged on my own.
  • The car's behavior on the reversible toll lanes was not great, likely due to bad mapping data. When using EAP on this stretch, it's always slowed down at a couple of specific points, with the max speed indicator falling precipitously. This happens in areas where the toll lanes are traveling above exit ramps from the main highway, and the car probably thinks that it's on those lanes, though the map does show it continuing on the proper path. The behavior on FSD this morning was basically the same. I ended up driving manually most of the way on the toll lanes, as I usually do.
  • As we approached I-285 ("The Perimeter"), Tesla navigation wanted me to take it around the city rather than stick with I-75, where I can drive in the HOV lane. Even when 75 is congested, the HOV lane is usually fast enough to make it the faster choice vs. 285, and 285 is riddled with semis and potholes, so I avoid it unless Waze says it's going to be significantly faster than 75's HOV lane. Waze confirmed this morning that 75 HOV was the better option, so I overrode the car's suggestion.
  • Once on the main part of I-75 (the toll lanes merge into regular I-75 at the Perimeter), the car did a pretty good job. I got in the HOV lane and the car stayed there; previously, NOA would insist on getting out of the HOV lane all the time, even with HOV lanes enabled in the navigation settings. The car did slow more than it needed to when traffic in the adjacent lane was moving more slowly than the HOV lane was, and I had to override it with some go-pedal.
  • There are two left-hand exits from the HOV lane on my route: one at Northside Drive and another at Williams Street. Very occasionally when driving on EAP, the car will momentarily veer towards these exits, forcing me to take over. (I'm extra cautious in these two areas.) This morning, FSD started veering towards both of them, and I took over.
  • As you approach Midtown Atlanta on I-75, the HOV lane veers off to the left of the main highway just north of where I-85 joins I-75, and then rejoins the combined 75/85 ("The Connector") about 3/4 of a mile later. This morning, FSD wanted to leave the HOV lane about half a mile north of where the divergence takes place. It would have had to have gotten over 3 lanes in order to stay on 75 south, as getting over just one or two lanes would have put us on 85 north. Changing three lanes in such a short amount of time would have been difficult and dangerous. Moreover, the HOV lane was moving very fluidly, probably better than the main highway, so there was no reason to make the change. I overrode the car's wish and stayed in the HOV lane.
  • After leaving Downtown Atlanta, I need to eventually get four or five lanes to the right so I can take 85 south near the airport. I usually start doing this just after the Grady Curve while I am still Downtown, as the main lanes of the highway are usually no slower than the HOV lane from this point forward, and some people seem to (incorrectly) want to treat the HOV lane as a super passing lane, driving 20-30 mph over the speed limit in it, and I really don't like being tailgated. So I like to start moving over early. Today, I decided to see how long FSD would take to move over. We were still in the HOV lane less than 2 miles from my exit to I-85, and I wasn't convinced that the car was going to be able to get all the way over in the needed amount of time, so I initiated the first two lane changes myself. (I was also unsure how long the double-dashed line separating the HOV lane from the regular lanes would remain; once it goes double-solid, you're not supposed to cross it, and based on my EAP experience, I know the car is good about observing that rule, so I didn't want to take a chance that it find itself in a Catch-22, finally wanting to change lanes but being unable to do so due to a double-solid line that it couldn't cross.) I did allow the car to decide when to make the last lane change, and while it waited longer than I would have, it did indeed find a good spot and slipped right into it.
  • I did notice at one point that the car did a good job of nudging over when it was next to a big truck that was pretty close to the line. I appreciated that very much.
I think I will probably let FSD try to drive me home tonight, just to see how it does, and then turn it off until the next iteration comes through. I don't feel that its behavior on the highway is significantly better than EAP's, and I like deciding when to make lane changes and what route to take.
It's possible it's a different Navigation engine but more likely it interprets the results from the same navigation in a different way, and generally more successfully.

Your personal driving is using information and experience not known to the nav, or sufficiently second-order that it's not able to take it into account yet.

11.3.6 works better than old NoA on California freeways, which is its "native environment" and those have few left-hand exits or reversible lanes. It's likely that on its own it still would have taken you to your destination though not as optimally as you would have liked.

Thanks, all, for the interesting and constructive replies. I look forward to seeing what FSD tries to do tonight on my way home. There's a tricky bit near the start of my drive, where I have to move four lanes to the left over a relatively short distance - about a mile and a half - in order to reach the HOV lanes. When traffic is light, I usually let EAP do the lane changes, under my direction, but when it's heavy, I usually have to do it myself, as the car tends to be too cautious (and that's coming from a pretty cautious and defensive driver). It'll be interesting to see if FSD is more assertive, or if it even sees the value in getting over to the HOV lanes. If it doesn't, of course I'll direct it there.

It's not just possible, it was the main feature of this released, the merged core. Take a look at the release notes.
Navigation/Route planning (Navigation engine) is separate from FSD Beta. Navigation works the same (planning the route) even if you are manually driving. The information is likely located in the Navigation Data File (NA-22.28-xxxx as of now).

EDIT: While the Navigation Data File is usually only updated and replaced about every 6 to 9 months or so, Green The Only has reported that it does get Delta updates along the way. So this could be the changes seen were in a Delta update and coincide with V11. I'm anxious to try of the lanes myself but since I live in Midtown don't get as much opportunity.

Last edited:
Navigation/Route planning (Navigation engine) is separate from FSD Beta. Navigation works the same (planning the route) even if you are manually driving. The information is likely located in the Navigation Data File (NA-22.28-xxxx as of now).

EDIT: While the Navigation Data File is usually only updated and replaced about every 6 to 9 months or so, Green The Only has reported that it does get Delta updates along the way. So this could be the changes seen were in a Delta update and coincide with V11. I'm anxious to try of the lanes myself but since I live in Midtown don't get as much opportunity.

I doubt if the Route planning is included in the map updates. I don't think that when some recent change to the route engine (like waypoints and alternate routes) that the maps were updated.

For what it's worth, the car did NOT suggest using the toll lanes on the way home tonight. However, when I got to them, the automated sign indicated that traffic on them was actually slower than it was on regular I-75 - a very unusual occurrence - so I didn't take them.

We'll see what the car suggests tomorrow, but in any event I think I still prefer driving on EAP and managing my own lane changes and navigation decisions. On the way home tonight, FSD tried to veer off to all three HOV-only exits to the left that it encountered, none of which were actually part of my itinerary. If I have to override FSD every single time it encounters one of those left-hand exits, it's pretty pointless to use it.

Well, I drove to work again this morning, without FSD enabled, and while the car initially suggested using regular old I-75, after I went a block or so in the direction of the toll lanes entrance at Roswell Road, it switched to suggest the toll lanes. So clearly it now understands that it can use them. This is a nice enhancement that will make me less reliant on Waze as a backup. Now if only Tesla navigation could factor into account the fact that the HOV lane is almost always a time-saver. Considering the number of Teslas that drive in it, you'd thinking they could figure that math out.

It'll be interesting to see if it suggests that I use them on my way home tonight. Hopefully it understands the reversible aspect and knows that they'll be open northbound by early afternoon.

Reactions: Mr_Joe and JulienW

View attachment 929306
I'm in Atlanta as well and I've noticed some behaviors that are clearly different than they were pre-v11. For one thing, pre-v11 FSD had no issues navigating my exit onto North Druid Hills off of I-85 S but v11 routinely misses the exit (or would if I didn't intervene). It gets into the right hand lane, turns on the right turn signal and starts toward the exit but then at the last second cuts back onto 85South. Weird.

Reactions: Mr_Joe and evannole
Today I navigated home (Atlantic Station) and was on Delk Road that has an Express lanes entrance. Navigation tried every way except the Express Lanes ramp. I even went past it and turned around to try from the other direction and it would not use them in navigation. I turned onto manually and once on them they seemed to navigate well.

Reactions: Mr_Joe
Today I navigated home (Atlantic Station) and was on Delk Road that has an Express lanes entrance. Navigation tried every way except the Express Lanes ramp. I even went past it and turned around to try from the other direction and it would not use them in navigation. I turned onto manually and once on them they seemed to navigate well.
Maybe Terrell Mill rather than Delk? Delk doesn't have express lane access. Regardless, sounds like your experience largely mirrors mine. The car did suggest using the express lanes this morning, telling me to take the Roswell Road entrance from the get-go.

This morning, I tried FSD on the highway again and still didn't like it as well as regular/ Enhanced Autopilot. I had to intervene at both left-hand exits from the HOV lane to get the car to continue straight, and also had to prevent it from moving out of the HOV lane just before the Brookwood split. Moreover, this time I let the car decide when to move out of the HOV lane once I was south of downtown. It knew I needed to exit at I-85 south, which required moving four lanes to the right, but it never tried to move over a single lane. Not impressive at all. No big deal - I just got off at the CW Grant HOV exit and reached my destination on surface streets - but this was uncomplicated navigation and the car completely failed to follow its own directions.

Back to regular ol' EAP, which I really like, for now.

Reactions: Mr_Joe
Maybe Terrell Mill rather than Delk?....
Yea, brain fart, Terrell Mill. 🤔 😅

EDIT: Also here is my post from the V11 thread about V11 Interstate lane selection.

Did some more interstate driving today and same results I have been having (blowing by almost every exit). Every time I’m in the far left lane and it makes no attempt to start getting over until I’m a mile away from my right turn. On one attempt it got to within one lane of the Exit lane but it was backup up. So Beta thought it would be good idea to just turn on the signal and stop on the Interstate.

On another it was in the HOV lane and passing the last double stripped line exit and it was not going to get out of the HOV lane (as it does EVERY time) so I turned on the signal to forced it out. It still stays in the left lane next to the HOV lane until a mile away from an Interstate split (I85 left lanes and I75 right lanes) where it needs to go right on I75. Usually the traffic is backed up and I would be trapped going I85 but it managed to just barely make it over to the right split but ONLY because traffic was moving. Again most times traffic is backed up and this will never happen.

All other parts of Interstate driving seems so much better on Beta than legacy AP stack but…….why is the Interstate logic so bad at anticipating needed strategy to exit. Waiting on the last mile is fine if you are on 3 lanes of moving Interstate. However in urban settings and needing to get over 6 or 8 lanes with heavy, slow, inconsistent speed traffic you can’t wait to the last mile.

Did some more interstate driving today and same results I have been having (blowing by almost every exit). Every time I’m in the far left lane and it makes no attempt to start getting over until I’m a mile away from my right turn. On one attempt it got to within one lane of the Exit lane but it was backup up. So Beta thought it would be good idea to just turn on the signal and stop on the Interstate.
Yeah, that's been a pretty standard behavior for a while now. I turn on Minimal Lane Changes and am prepared to handle highway lane changes myself until the FSDb team gets around to fixing the lane selection behavior.

Maybe Terrell Mill rather than Delk? Delk doesn't have express lane access. Regardless, sounds like your experience largely mirrors mine. The car did suggest using the express lanes this morning, telling me to take the Roswell Road entrance from the get-go.

This morning, I tried FSD on the highway again and still didn't like it as well as regular/ Enhanced Autopilot. I had to intervene at both left-hand exits from the HOV lane to get the car to continue straight, and also had to prevent it from moving out of the HOV lane just before the Brookwood split. Moreover, this time I let the car decide when to move out of the HOV lane once I was south of downtown. It knew I needed to exit at I-85 south, which required moving four lanes to the right, but it never tried to move over a single lane. Not impressive at all. No big deal - I just got off at the CW Grant HOV exit and reached my destination on surface streets - but this was uncomplicated navigation and the car completely failed to follow its own directions.

Back to regular ol' EAP, which I really like, for now.
Perhaps that is what we 'non-FSD buyers' get just now when we pay a monthly fee. Autopilot with Steering beta. It does a pretty good job of steering and staying centered, and changing lanes on request, and excellent adaptive cruise control. But definitely not passing by itself, nor exiting, nor turning 90° corners after stop signs, nor starting up by itself after stop lights.

I have a 11/2017 Model S and purchased FSD with it in 2000. It is pretty amazing and I don't know if I was lucky or if Seattle is just a well-learned area. It is great on Freeways and even better on city streets with traffic. On city streets, I need to make the runs myself after the FSD gets through all of the lights and starts and stops. On the freeway with Navigate on Autopilot does everything until I make the exit at final destination.