Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Generic speculation about unconfirmed feature: can't wait!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think we are all really excited for the release of the Model X, which aligns with our desires on many levels - to achieve planetary shifts in energy use, cause a general enjoyment of driving, not the least to display superiority to front-hinged or internal-combusted vehicles.

I was thinking about a design of a feature which is could really not affect anybody or may be a total showstopper, depending on your priorities and psychological makeup, and your level of angst on the impact of the feature to your lifestyle. Tesla engineers obviously had many options in the design of the feature, and they must be thinking about it because I imagine them to be focused on my individual priorities and checking this forum obsessively many times a day. For this reason I can't wait for the reveal of the updates as they must be taking all this time to think abut my concern. I wish I could be part of their watercooler discussions, as they would be all listening in awe.

Of course the design has many options. These are just my speculation and you know what they say on TMC "speculation is reality"
- A first option, which we could call a more traditional option
- a revolutionary approach to a classic solution, like hammering nails with a screwdriver because it's new, but it's an Elon- screwdriver that hammers better than a hammer, a better-hammer of sorts.
- a paradigm shift where the problem is altogether obsoleted - like the prototype that had no doors at all, and had teleport beams inside and out.

Of the many options, I think a particular design choice is the best mostly because:

1) My impromptu reasoning says so and backed with my painstaking written support including lists of reasons that are easy to read through in a quick scan, giving authority through quantity,
2) Some back of the napkin math shows the options have a 'best choice', because option 1 goodness = 2.5 x (option 1 goodness) * Aero Drag/ Rolling friction (who would question Math)
3) It aligns with the design direction of Model E and therefore must be on the priorities for the X to start 'kicking the wheels' in design ideas (see what I did there)
4) There are rumors that the layout of the gigafactory as seen by visitors pics would support the design of the feature as far as batteries are concerned
5) Elon on twitter and reddit said some words that clearly convey this is a key feature and the winning design option ("metal snake": dead giveaway!)
6) It is the option that suits me the best personally, therefore ruling out the possibility that I'm in denial that it may not be the best option, with a smiley to divert attention from the logic loop! :) :) :)

I think my design monologue or vent would be better masked as a community inquiry, what do you think? Did I miss something?
Would it be a SHOWSTOPPER to you if the feature was not designed like one of these options? Does it cause much angst?
We are all looking forward to the reveal of this new model that will put this profound question to rest!

Last edited:
I'm a little lost. What "feature" are you specifically referring to, or are you talking in the general "unlisted features" terms that should they reveal something new it would fall in one of the above categories?

One thing I hope they take from VW playbook (which was largely taken from Tesla's playbook) in their new Golf R Touch it has haptic feedback on the displays (well, at least one display, I don't know if the second display has haptic feedback) and to a lesser extent the gesture controls they have added.

I know quite a few people have complained about the lack of feeling on the touchscreen then requires you divert your attention to the screen and off the road since you have no queue as to where or what you are reaching for.

I think our friend is just poking fun at the rampant speculation in general. :smile:
It was a slow day on the Model X forum and I didn't feel like thinking about anything in concrete.

Up next : meta-speculation!
Which do you think will be higher over the next months, and why?
A- More speculation about existing topics/features of the model X (range, doors, roof racks, exterior wood paneling, mirrors, pricing to name the most important ones)
B- Speculation about new topics we know little about
C- Speculation about which topics our forum speculation isn't covering deeply enough

- - - Updated - - -

Or (s)he has visited one of our new crop of stores in WA state.

boo. no chemical enhancement needed - just a blunt wit and bad grammar.

No, but have been flying Dreamliner some times.
The deawback is two layer windows filled with gell, need power to be darkened.
The electric tint aftermarked (glue on) is dark with no power and not as good idea when thinking safety and fallback with error, one window always dark since broken wire
Biggest problem with electrical tint, is that it have blocking both ways, you can not see in, and not out on max tint.
But Camper mode it would be fantastic, nobody sees that you are sleeping in the car. (Or doing something else.

The "Falcon Doors" have been replaced by force-fields.

StarTrekBrig.jpeg