Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

April Fools!: Magic Sky Windows - Testing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
I work near Tesla HQ and sometimes get to see prototype Model S' parking at lunch places when I am out having lunch.

On Wednesday last week, I saw a Model S which seemed to have heavily tinted windows, then on Friday, I see what appears to be the same car but now with very lightly tinted windows. I wonder if Tesla is experimenting with factory tint options and is swapping out different windows to evaluate them. This could be good news if you get the opportunity to order your car pre-tinted from the factory as I think they would do a better job than aftermarket and save you the time and hassle of having to take your car into a tint shop!

Wednesday:
msa2.jpg

Friday:
msa1.jpg

Reactions: Evee
Oh!, I didn't find that in a quick Google. That would be wild if they offered that! I guess with Daimler being an investor in Tesla something like this could be possible!

- - - Updated - - -

I found a Youtube showing the Daimler system that Brianman mentioned:

Last edited by a moderator:
@TEG - I remembered the "Magic Sky" name because I wished back when that Tesla would work out something to get this tech. on the Model S. I mean... everybody who balks at the other Mercedes parts (stalks!) would gladly let that go for a magic sky pano roof (I suspect).

so then the question becomes why the heck would they plaster the name of this in-testing feature all over the door sills of the test vehicle? Seems crazy to advertise that they're testing it.

Any one know how it works?

Found it searching: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_glass

Apparently the company behind it is Research Frontiers: http://www.refr-spd.com/

"The Research Frontiers licensees involved with the production of the MAGIC SKY CONTROL roof for the SLK include Hitachi Chemical, which manufactures the SPD-Smart light-control film in Japan and has recently announced its capacity to manufacture 4.3 million square feet of SPD film per year. Automotive glass companies Nippon Sheet Glass in Japan and Pilkington in the UK and Germany then process and laminate Hitachi’s SPD film into the glass for the MAGIC SKY CONTROL roof. SPD Control Systems and Research Frontiers have jointly licensed intellectual property to Daimler AG regarding the electronics to control the SPD-SmartGlass in the Mercedes-Benz SLK and other vehicles."

Last edited:
Ummm, guys ... I'm guessing this cat wasn't supposed to be let out of the bag.

OK, heard back that I have permission to talk about it in a limited way and no photos of the windows themselves....

Yes it works, and it seems to be an adaptation of the Daimler concept. The windows had to be replaced and Tesla installed various sensors inside the car to measure temperature and UV ingress; I have no idea what it all costs but I'm told that after the test they will remove the sensors and I get to keep the windows, in return I do have to keep a weather log for a couple of months (oh the hardship! :wink:)

The magic sky windows operate on a slider bar on the touch screen so you can adjust settings to your personal preference depending on light/sun conditions. The software shows it as an extra tab and it's not all finalized yet, it looks like the pano roof slider but doesn't show a side picture of the car yet. I'm waiting on approval to show a photo of the touch screen.

And yes, I believe there are a couple of other folks beta testing it in hot climates.

Ummm, guys ... I'm guessing this cat wasn't supposed to be let out of the bag.
This wouldn't be the first time Tesla tried to 'hide something in plain sight' with a clue to the keen observer (thanks, Brianman!)
It is almost like an Easter egg hunt for the fans!

I am glad you were given permission to talk about it now, Nigel ! This is going to be a really neat feature if it makes it into production!

Great find, and this is super exciting.

Given that testing has been occurring on client vehicles (being retrofitted) and given the history of upgrade announcements for the roadster, I would definitely think this is a retrofit possibility. Not to mention, you want to encourage early adopters, not discourage them by releasing something 6-9 months later that the initial people cannot have.

As for gen III, I think this would be a more upscale product, not designed or marketed to the "budget / everyday crowd" but that's just imo.