Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picked up my P85D (first 24hrs) impression

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First off, thanks to all that have posted their walkthroughs, impressions, etc.. it was very helpful since my Tesla "assistant" wasn't super helpful in answering some of my questions.

I spent the past three years driving a Leaf and finally decided to pull the trigger on getting a Tesla.

I love the car so far and driving it is a delight.

Here are my impressions so far after 24 hrs:

The Good:

-The factory tour, if you haven't done it and have the chance, do it. It is impressive
-The car is updatable, this blows my mind, I never had that feeling about a car, I mean the Leaf had the ability but I never got one update pushed to me and I didn't get any new functionality.
-For all the power the P85D has, it is such a smooth, effortless car to drive, silky in fact. Picked my folks up and took them for a ride and they were delighted too.
-Never been in a car so quick, and the traction the car has matches the quickness, I couldn't make the car slide on the tires, it was remarkable.
-The way the car does navigation / traffic is so far ahead of all the other cars I have driven, I love it.
-The range, out of the box, the car had about an 75% charge and I was able to cross the bay, see my folks, sister, brother, wife, and kids plus go to a restaurant, might not seem like much but I would have never dreamed of doing that much in a Leaf. I remember every year hoping Nissan or another car company would push the limits on battery tech and it never happened so when my lease was coming to an end, Tesla was a clear choice. No one still is close.
-The little things so far, like the Home link adapter process, this is a tech company thinking about the problem and walking a person through the process of getting their car paired with their garage door opener. Was smooth, well done.
-The next generation seats, they are comfortable and hug you.
-The steering wheel, it just feels good and right.
-The web browser blew my dad away.
-The one thing I like about the smart air suspension it remembers (geotags) places where you want to go "very high" with the suspension height which can be quite helpful. I'm still on the fence about the value of the air suspension, it feels like it does take off some of the rough edges of the road, but not sure if it is worth the money so far.
-The charge kit they give you (110v, 220v, plus the J adapter etc...)
-The charge door, just push on it and it pops open, better than the Leaf experience.
-The trunk is quite spacious, my wife climbed inside and there was room for her sister too.
-Entire family commented on how spacious the back area is and how comfortable those seats are.
-For those with kids, the car seat went in pretty smoothly, most new cars have easy to find LATCH markers and hooking up to them is easy, I have found the difficulty can be with the seat belt receptor that you lock your seat belt connector into, they often move and as you are reaching across your kids body and don't have clear visibility to it, it can become frustrating. I have to say the Tesla's rear seat belt receptor is held in place by the leather fabric so it doesn't move as your push against and made the process easier.
-Less blind spots, the A-pillars on my Leaf and other cars drove me crazy because pedestrians would walk in front of my car and sometimes I'd lose track of them. The front cabin in the Tesla doesn't have this problem, plus when I look over my shoulders I have pretty clear vision. I'm sure when the autopilot experience is launched I'll be more excited, by replacing my two sensors (eyes) with 12 cameras.

The bad (yes there are a few)

-The media experience. This sucked, I plugged my Iphone into the car via USB, didn't do anything. Come on, I know there is Bluetooth audio, but my Leaf and other cars gave me a better experience than this. What a disappointment.
Sure there is bluetooth audio but navigating through that is a poor experience, plus you get into weird scenarios like you have the Tesla volume on 11 but barely hear a song because your phone's audio is set to low etc..
I don't want to navigate through my phone's media experience or spend hours creating playlists offline to bring to the car. You can do better Tesla.

-The fit and finish. The right triangular mirror and the weather stripping around it, wasn't well aligned. Get wind coming into the car around 60. Think this should have been caught on a QC review but who knows (they drove my car for 50 miles before I got it)

-The center console, the functionality leaves a bit to be desired (I know there is an update coming and I'm on the waiting list for it)

-No spare tire, I'm on the fence about this, I know that most manufacturers have gone away from this, maybe run flats? maybe a free patch / repair kit?

Opportunities, or what I'd add to a wish list.

-The media experience. You are a tech company, do better.
-Front video, I want a camera view like the rear camera for the front, plus let me have a way to record the video.
-Where are the apps? Come on, I want to click on the temperature in the upper left corner and get a weather forecast and that sort of stuff. This car is about a lifestyle, apps are a key part of that experience.
-Heated steering wheel and rear seats (I think the cold weather package might have this) but for a car well over 100K you'd think it would have it.

It for now.

Happy holidays and a happy new year.

I've had my S85 for a week and share virtually the same pros and cons list you have. The only thing I would add is the internet radio option is very good and almost makes the music on my iphone redundant. I do find it very odd that you can't play an iphone through a USB connection though, my son tried this driving home from the factory and I almost thought the port was defective until I did some reading. I greatly prefer bluetooth connection over USB anyways and I have been hard pressed to appreciate much difference in sound quality between the two in this car, and I have premium sound.

I have the lowly S85 as mentioned, with the non-special seats, but I find it very comfortable and plenty fast for my needs.

-The fit and finish. The right triangular mirror and the weather stripping around it, wasn't well aligned. Get wind coming into the car around 60. Think this should have been caught on a QC review but who knows (they drove my car for 50 miles before I got it)

I also seem to have a wind noise problem. (See this thread: Wind noise problem in new P85D.) How did you pin-point the source of the noise? What are you doing to resolve the problem?

Also, not really related, but just thought I'd point this out...

Are you sure your car was driven 50 miles before you received it? Is that the mileage that was actually on the odometer? All of the cars are officially coming with 50 miles on the paperwork, but mine had only 17 miles on the odometer when I received it.

The bad (yes there are a few)

-The media experience. This sucked, I plugged my Iphone into the car via USB, didn't do anything. Come on, I know there is Bluetooth audio, but my Leaf and other cars gave me a better experience than this. What a disappointment.
Sure there is bluetooth audio but navigating through that is a poor experience, plus you get into weird scenarios like you have the Tesla volume on 11 but barely hear a song because your phone's audio is set to low etc..
I don't want to navigate through my phone's media experience or spend hours creating playlists offline to bring to the car. You can do better Tesla.

Agreed. I plan on using Bluetooth from an ipod touch which I'll keep in the car. I wish there was a Google Play Music app for the center. Elon has hinted at having it run by Android in the future (I think).

My wife first heard it while we were driving on the freeway and then I listened closer and heard it too. I then sat in the passenger seat while she drove and heard air coming in from closer to the passenger windshield.

Took it into the Tesla service (on Saturday) they did a quick inspection (honestly, the service tech didn't do much rather than listen to me) he said, he has heard of this issue before and that the triangular window piece sometimes gets misaligned so I'm going to set up an appt with them to have them "recalibrate" it.

Thanks for sharing your initial impressions...all good info to know. I'll have to listen out for the wind noise now, once I take delivery this week. 50miles on the odometer seems a bit high - that's a lot of factory test driving & still they didn't detect the wind noise? Go figure.

congrats!

Sorry I missed the question about the odometer, yes my car showed 50 miles driven.

Have to add, I really wish they more with the cameras on the car, the reverse view is fine, but it would be nice to have some sight lines that turn with the car like the Leaf and other cars have. It would be nice to also have a birds eye / isometric view of the car so I can park it easier. The parking sensors are nice, but they don't show me how close I am to the curb on my left or right side.

Hope it comes in an update.

Excellent review. The comment on how smoothly you can drive it is spot on.
Oddest things to me are: No little place to put things to driver's left (not even a little teensy tiny pouch like at the front of the seat)
Sun visor mirrors with no light (I am sure there are other lightless cars but cannot recall seeing one)
And no sight lines on rear view camera. Weird that they took a really good camera and reduced its effectiveness.

-No spare tire, I'm on the fence about this, I know that most manufacturers have gone away from this, maybe run flats? maybe a free patch / repair kit?

-Heated steering wheel and rear seats (I think the cold weather package might have this) but for a car well over 100K you'd think it would have it.

Thanks for the impressions.

I think most of us agree with that first point here. The media interface is poor, and has been since launch. We keep hoping for updates, but Tesla hasn't promised anything and hasn't made any improvements. There are $14k entry-level cars that do this better. It really is perhaps the most embarrassing aspect of the vehicle, IMO. When showing off the car to potential buyers, you kind of show them the neat Internet radio features (which are indeed cool) and gloss over the rest.

Spares are a waste, IMO. You're using that storage space and lugging around all that weight for something you're extremely unlikely to use. The car is extremely heavy, so owners are at abnormally high risk if jacking up the car to change tires on the side of the road. For road trips and things I absolutely see the benefit (I've had a flat myself while on a trip), but for typical daily use I don't think it's a big deal. I toss a spare tire (no wheel, the patched tire I mentioned failed above) in the frunk for trips occasionally if I'm worried as even many gas stations here in CA can mount a tire. I suppose that won't work for you and the smaller P85D frunk, I'm sorry to say. Run flats are horrid: they perform poorly, are unusually heavy, are not efficient, and are very expensive. There's a reason no one uses them anymore. Tesla does sell an air compressor/patch kit. For $50, its actually pretty decent quality and can come in handy in a pinch. I recommend picking it up if your state didn't mandate it being included with the car.

The cold weather package gets you heated rear seats and some other benefits. For $750 it's not a big deal, but it does feel like something they should have just included. Even if you do get it, though, a heated wheel is not available.

This is apparently no longer true. Several people have reported getting a heated wheel with their (subzero optioned) recent delivery. I asked my DS if mine (expected end of Feb) would have it, and he said "Yes, it’s may understand that your Model S will come with the Heated Steering Wheel." (sic)
Nice! The wheel is just from the Mercedes parts bin, so it should have been relatively easy to add the feature. Glad to see it's happening. That's what I get for trusting the Tesla ordering page ;)

Have they eliminated the pouch along the front edge of the driver's seat? Mine certainly has that, and I use it often.
Sadly, Next Gen seats lose the pouch.

- - - Updated - - -

Excellent review. The comment on how smoothly you can drive it is spot on.
Oddest things to me are: No little place to put things to driver's left (not even a little teensy tiny pouch like at the front of the seat).

There's actually a small storage area engineered into the door pull recess.