Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind noise problem in new P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Andyw2100

Oct 22, 2014
Ithaca, NY
I received my P85D on Wednesday, December 24. Today, December 26 I took it on the highway for the first time. (It is being Opticoated about 90 miles away.) Shortly after reaching highway speed I realized that there was some pretty significant wind noise coming into the cabin from the driver's side. I checked to make sure that all the windows were fully closed, and they were. I don't have the panoramic roof. I pulled over and opened and closed my door for good measure, but that did not resolve the problem.

I called and left a message for my DS, noting that I realized he may well not be the correct person to call. While I was at the detailer, someone from the service center called back, and apparently that service center will have someone in my area in a couple of weeks, and they'll be able to check it out then. In the mean time, I'm going to send them a short video I made in an attempt to record the sound.

Naturally I'm hoping this is something trivial.

I just wanted to document this here, in case others experience something similar.

At one point on my P85+ my drivers side door seal pulled off slightly. I'd do a visual check around the seal and see if it is in place. Sometimes the glass triangle in front of the window can have a bad seal as well.

At one point on my P85+ my drivers side door seal pulled off slightly. I'd do a visual check around the seal and see if it is in place. Sometimes the glass triangle in front of the window can have a bad seal as well.

Normally this comes from the triangular window and is easy for the Service Centre to adjust. Alternatively, you can be hearing tire noise, which can sound very much like wind noise. See the DIY solution thread

Funny both of you should mention that triangular window. I really wonder if that could be it. I don't know if this is normal or not, but I noticed that the black sealing stuff around that window seemed a little "rough" to me. That may not be the best word. When I first looked at it, that little area didn't seem on par with the rest of the car. I was taking in so much at once, that I didn't think too much about it, and, to be honest, never even compared it to the other side to see if they were similarly "rough." Now I'd kinda like to see a close-up of someone else's brand-new P85D's driver's side triangular window, if anyone is so inclined, so I can try to remember if mine is the same or different, since I won't have access to my car for several days.

I don't think it could have been tire noise, but I guess I could be mistaken. It's just that it really sounded like the sound was coming only from the driver's side, and I would think tire noise would come from the other side too, wouldn't it? Also wouldn't tire noise also exist at lower speeds?

I'm really hoping this is just a little seal problem with that triangular window, or some other seal problem that can easily be fixed.

Thanks!

I don't think it could have been tire noise, but I guess I could be mistaken. It's just that it really sounded like the sound was coming only from the driver's side, and I would think tire noise would come from the other side too, wouldn't it? Also wouldn't tire noise also exist at lower speeds?

On mine the actual seal on the triangular window was fine, but it wasn't adjusted quite right. After it was fixed I thought that I was still getting wind noise but then I went over a stretch of really smooth pavement (a rarity where I live) and the car was silent. Surprised me, although it really shouldn't have.

Noise of any kind in cars is tricky to find because it can appear to come from somewhere other than the actual source. In one case (not Tesla) the complaint was tires because the tires were just put on, but the actual problem was the roof rack causing the roof to vibrate (the position of the rails was changed shortly after the tire installation). If you sat in front, it really did sound as if it was coming from the tires. Sitting in the back changed the location.

In the worst cases several microphones are installed to determine the cause.

@ Andyw2100

Another area to check is the Frunk as another P85D owner mentioned a Frunk latch issue. Not sure if the Frunk is not latched properly if this could cause wind noise.

Thanks!

I only opened the frunk once, to get the front license plate out, as that's where the service center had put it for me. I'm actually not planning on using the frunk much, given the possible frunk hood creasing issue. But I was very careful about how I closed the hood, and I am reasonably certain that it latched completely. I have no way to check for several days, but I'll check that too when I get the car back.

Yeah, I had odd wind noise problems with my first model-S. Tesla was able to fix all of them over time. With my new P85D, the wind noise has been minimal and I've had no issues. So whatever you're running into, I'm sure it is repairable.

Andy, might I suggest that you take a passenger or a driver (with you being the passenger) so that the passenger could use their ears to pinpoint the noise.
I have had cars that I would have bet had a noise coming from the passenger side rear view mirror area... only to find out using the method above that the noise was coming from the driver's side rear window seal.

Sometimes by closing off one ear, and moving your head 180 to 180 as a driver you can find the spot of the noise but it is better to have a helper who is limber and flexible to do this. (having good ears also helps)

BTW, there is a gizmo that has microphones and a center station to find noises.... Steel something... seems like gilting the lilly to me....

Andy, might I suggest that you take a passenger or a driver (with you being the passenger) so that the passenger could use their ears to pinpoint the noise.

Thanks, Art.

I'm certainly planning on doing that. The car is still at the detailer's, being Opticoat Pro'd. I'm picking it up on Wednesday. I expect my wife will accompany me on the trip, so we'll have plenty of time on the ride home to see if she can pinpoint where the sound is coming from.

Thanks!

Agreed it is likely an adjustment needed to the triangular window. I had the same thing on the passenger side, caused by the triangle being "inset" about 1/8" too far from the door window, causing a tiny lip that caused an incredibly loud noise inside the car. The two windows should be perfectly flush to each other, something which is easily determined with a small straight-edge.