Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Melted Charging Adapter/Cord

Melted Charging Adapter/Cord

Tesla has resolved the issue to my satisfaction.
    Last edited by triscb82; 2014-01-13 at 05:15 AM.

For peace of mind, I have dialed the charging current down to 30A. 30A produces approximately half the heat compared to 40A while yielding about 22 miles/hour of charging using a NEMA 14-50 setup. For my daily 60 miles commute (and occasional 100 miles), 30A works just fine for me.
    85 kWh | Black | Black Leather | Obeche Gloss | 19" wheels | Tech Pkg | Sound Studio Pkg | Body Colored Roof | Standard Suspension | Ordered/Finalized 5/12/13 | Delivery Button 5/26/13 | Delivered 6/14/13 | #12XYZ

Yes it does happen. Tesla will replace it for free, of course.

I would have an electrician do a load test on your outlet. Two possible causes for this type of failure - bad contact between plug adapter (socket) and the UMC plug or in a 240V circuit one side is carrying all the power versus the other side of the circuit. US 220-240V is +120V one side to -120V the other side.

I felt my outlet and plug end yesterday and it is barely warm after charging for a couple of hours at 9+ kW. I do have a really short run from my main panel to sub panel ~ 6 ft of 6ga and ~ 2 ft of 8 ga for the 14-50. Wonder if some anti-ox electrical contact grease stuff would help/fix this problem.

I have a UMC plugged in always at my house. It might be a good idea to get rid of the adapter and hardwire it to the breaker panel but then it wouldn't be covered by Tesla if the fault circuit breaks or something.
    - 'Joules' 12/1/12 - 28550mi @ 368Whr/mi Zextraterrestials S (tory)

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmacelf View Post
    Yes it does happen. Tesla will replace it for free, of course.
    They will not replace it every time. Service was able to determine that it was an issue with my outlet by sending an electrician. There was too much current to one prong causing an overheating issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Burgundy View Post
    There was too much current to one prong causing an overheating issue.
    That is BS - there is equal current going to each prong. The fact is that one prong had a high resistance connection which led to overheating.

Roadster#433, Model S#S37 Cottonwood's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Burgundy View Post
    They will not replace it every time. Service was able to determine that it was an issue with my outlet by sending an electrician. There was too much current to one prong causing an overheating issue.
    I don't understand that comment. The UMC only uses two power pins; the current that goes in one goes out the other. If there is ever an imbalance in the current through the power pins, it will cause a ground fault and the UMC will stop the current. I do not think that it is possible to have too much current in one pin of the receptacle without too much in the other.

Perhaps, it was too high a resistance on the connection to one pin of the receptacle causing the overheating. This could be caused by a poor installation and has been seen elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by drees View Post
    That is BS - there is equal current going to each prong. The fact is that one prong had a high resistance connection which led to overheating.
    Whether Tesla replaces the UMC under warranty depends on where the melting is. If its on the wall outlet side, it probably won't be replaced under warranty. If it's between the UMC and the adapter like the above pictures, it will be replaced under warranty. It's not BS if Tesla refuses to replace UMC's that burnt due to crappy house wiring.

Thread Information