Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Plug Adapter on my Universal Mobile Connector has melted...

Plug Adapter on my Universal Mobile Connector has melted...

I plugged in the ModelS today and the power ring turned red. Looked at the Universal wall connector and it was red. I tried unplugging it and replugging it in and no better. I then took the NEMA 14-50 adapter off from the cable and this is what I found.

Name:  895228_10151571328101672_775761048_o.jpg
Views: 5923
Size:  557.2 KB

I've got a 50-amp dedicated line from a single breaker into my garage so I'm only wondering if this could have been some sort of power surge. I called service today and was able to talk to a tech after hours (more awesome Tesla service) and he said he hadn't heard of this happening before.

Meanwhile, I'm stuck in Sammamish without charging for the weekend. Luckily I have a 85kw battery so I should be good until I take it into the service center on Monday. They said they have extra cables I can swap this one out for. My main concern is a fire hazard if this happens again. Anyone have any ideas on how to troubleshoot on my end?

I know this not the first time this has happened to a UMC, "Cinergi" (Ben) had a similar problem with his, and it needed to be replaced. By any chance have you been using 208V, more than 240V? I think some of these UMCs might have manufacturing defects where the wire connecting to the UMC socket possibly has a high resistance connection, causing the pin to heat up more, leading to an early failure of the socket...
    Model S Reservation: P10010 (July 2nd 2012), MVPA signed 12/4/2012, delivered 1/17/2013, VIN: 03245
    I support OpenEVSE: http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/

Not sure what it was using volt-wise and I can't check it now. Service did say they would replace the cable so they are covering it with the warranty. I'm more concerned with it happening again. I was an early owner so hopefully service can tell me more about the problem when I take it in on Monday.

-Joe

Sig X#1100 and X#1618 Discoducky's Avatar
    So, we are traveling from Issaquah (right next door to Sammamish and if we were home you could use our 14-50) and are currently in Palm Springs when our UMC failed. I also saw the red ring, but my cable looks other fine than the metal locking tab at the top was pushed down and was touching the closest pin. I called 877-79-TESLA and talked to TJ who will try to get us in touch with the LA service center to get a new cable sent out Monday. Clearly they are having issues with the UMC's.

Here's what mine currently looks like. I've bent the tab and it engages properly, but the cable still doesn't work.

Name:  DSC08542.jpg
Views: 3504
Size:  37.8 KB

Thank goodness we have had a J1772 charger within our remaining range!
    Last edited by Discoducky; 2013-03-30 at 08:25 PM. Reason: typo
    The Chronicles of Belle - 60kWh TeslaTrip
    Discoduckys' posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within the TeslaMotorsClub forum. Content in posts may NOT be used, quoted or otherwise published outside this forum, without authors expressed written consent.

Cinergi also had a very early Model S, so perhaps they've improved the UMC manufacturing already.
    Last edited by mitch672; 2013-03-30 at 08:44 PM.
    Model S Reservation: P10010 (July 2nd 2012), MVPA signed 12/4/2012, delivered 1/17/2013, VIN: 03245
    I support OpenEVSE: http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/

S VIN S1049, X Resv S744
    Looks like a bit of arc'ing took place there, I hope it's a one-off. I was a bit concerned with the size of the pins on the adapter, they seem a bit small for 50A rating.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Discoducky View Post
    So, we are traveling from Issaquah (right next door to Sammamish and if we were home you could use our 14-50) and are currently in Palm Springs when our UMC failed. I also saw the red ring, but my cable looks other fine than the metal locking tab at the top was pushed down and was touching the closest pin.
    Red ring, red light on UMC, or both?

Could be a bad receptacle / ground / etc. supplying power. I assume you've tried it at different places on different receptacles?

Blog Entries
    Joe -- did you swap the adapter on the end of the MC recently (e.g. to the NEMA5-15 for a 120 connection and back to the NEMA15-50)?

Mine failed in a similar way; the material it's made out of can withstand (melt, but not start on fire) some ridiculous temperatures (I measured it -- forget the numbers I saw). It's still obviously concerning and a safety hazard (at the very least, you'll get burned touching that plug while it's charging). I'm sure they'll send yours in to the engineers like they did mine and study it.
    SOLD | Roadster 2.5 #1077 | Very Orange | Forged Wheels | Electronics Package
    Model S #SSL146 / VIN #246 | Signature Red | Black Interior with CF Accents | 21" Silver Wheels | Panoramic Sunroof | Performance
    http://fearlessbit.com/

Sig X#1100 and X#1618 Discoducky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FlasherZ View Post
    Red ring, red light on UMC, or both?

Could be a bad receptacle / ground / etc. supplying power. I assume you've tried it at different places on different receptacles?
    Red light on UMC, 4 flashes (https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/de...ctor_guide.pdf) and manual says it's lack of ground. It's also a red ring on the charge port on the car. Another outlet shows green on the UMC, but doesn't work on the car. I'm thinking about rebooting the car (center and 17" display) to see if I can get it to work.

Another question I'd like to know if the adapter locking tab on the cable (wall outlet side) has an electrical connection? I'm assuming that it does since the UMC manual says that 5 flashes is "Sense fault circuit" which is "Make sure the Mobile Connector's adaptor is properly attached". SO if I don't get 5 flashes I'm assuming that the tab is locking properly.
    The Chronicles of Belle - 60kWh TeslaTrip
    Discoduckys' posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within the TeslaMotorsClub forum. Content in posts may NOT be used, quoted or otherwise published outside this forum, without authors expressed written consent.

S VIN S1049, X Resv S744
    Quote Originally Posted by Discoducky View Post
    Red light on UMC, 4 flashes (https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/de...ctor_guide.pdf) and manual says it's lack of ground. It's also a red ring on the charge port on the car. Another outlet shows green on the UMC, but doesn't work on the car. I'm thinking about rebooting the car (center and 17" display) to see if I can get it to work.

Another question I'd like to know if the adapter locking tab on the cable (wall outlet side) has an electrical connection? I'm assuming that it does since the UMC manual says that 5 flashes is "Sense fault circuit" which is "Make sure the Mobile Connector's adaptor is properly attached". SO if I don't get 5 flashes I'm assuming that the tab is locking properly.
    The sense fault circuit has to do with the UMC's detection of which adapter is there. The locking tab is not part of that, from what I have seen.

I helped troubleshoot an issue a week ago where a NEMA 14-50 receptacle had a bad ground clasp; when you held the plug a certain way it would work but then it would stop after detecting a ground fault. I had to "adjust" the ground pin so that it would hold the ground pin effectively.

It *could* be that there is a broken connection to the ground pin, but I'd start looking at the circuit(s) first.

I have found that if the UMC detects a ground fault, the car will display a red ring. Fix the power problem and you'll likely get it to work.

What is the yellow stuff? Was any kind of lubricant used inside the connector? I thought about putting Dielectric grease inside mine to help keep out moisture.
    Black P85, Tech Package, 21", VIN: 2209 Delivery: 1/8/2013.

Thread Information