Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Please Enter Access Code

hmm, well we have bought the car, and in some states / countries they are required to provide information on how to service the car, in such a way that you won't void your warranty
    but I also understand that "George" would prefer that this information isen't easy available on the Internet
    as I see it they have at least 2 options
    1. change the system so you need to connect a USB key that will bump a file that they can read with a Tesla Service Program
    2. change the GUI so it reveal less sensitive information
    my guess that they will do both

but in the end, no-matter what they do, we will find a way to read the file
    so unless they encrypt it with a public tesla encryption key, we will guess it
    the same apply to the information that is transferred via wireless or 3g
    sooner or later some of us will sniff it

the best solution for tesla is to give us nerds access to some of the data so we can play with it
    and thereby be in controle of what is being released

on a different note, wonder what information is available in the system
    my guess is individual cell history and log for each censor in the system

Quote Originally Posted by cinergi View Post
    Can we get this post edited to remove the specifics? (Ref: Please Enter Access Code - Page 3)
    One other thing for folks who *did* read the specifics is that IIRC Tesla uses 3rd party car management software, and it's quite possible/likely that those screens are generic for the platform, and have nothing to do with every feature installed in the Model S. Bottom line, don't get too excited

Quote Originally Posted by jhs_7645 View Post
    One other thing for folks who *did* read the specifics is that IIRC Tesla uses 3rd party car management software, and it's quite possible/likely that those screens are generic for the platform, and have nothing to do with every feature installed in the Model S. Bottom line, don't get too excited
    Source on this? I'd imagine Tesla would want to control as much as possible? And isn't it likely, that even if they don't control the underlying stuff, the interface is theirs? So why write an interface for functionality you have no plans on using?

Quote Originally Posted by AnOutsider View Post
    Source on this? I'd imagine Tesla would want to control as much as possible? And isn't it likely, that even if they don't control the underlying stuff, the interface is theirs? So why write an interface for functionality you have no plans on using?
    I'll see if I can find the source, as I recall there was a press release from a company shortly after S started shipping that they were the provider for this software. On the 'why write an interface for functionality ...' question. If it *is* a 3rd party provider, it's quite likely that it's harder to customize the software than to deliver it with all the features where only a subset of those features are used. Of course, in the customer facing interface, you would only expose the features that are used, but that's not what we're talking about here.

- - - Updated - - -

Found it:http://www.cypress.com/?rID=70833

The touchscreen in Model S seamlessly integrates multimedia apps and content, sound system, communication and HVAC controls, navigation, and vehicle data into one central location. Cypress’s automotive TrueTouch solution provides unmatched flexibility providing the ability to track ten fingers at once. To learn more about Cypress’s automotive solutions, visit www.cypress.com/go/automotive
    Now... this could be all wrong.. who knows. I'm just theorizing here.

Found it:http://www.cypress.com/?rID=70833

The touchscreen in Model S seamlessly integrates multimedia apps and content, sound system, communication and HVAC controls, navigation, and vehicle data into one central location. Cypress’s automotive TrueTouch solution provides unmatched flexibility providing the ability to track ten fingers at once. To learn more about Cypress’s automotive solutions, visit automotive - Cypress Semiconductor

Now... this could be all wrong.. who knows. I'm just theorizing here.
    This is just the lowest layer software for turning the outputs of the touch sense hardware into useful key-press/gesture events, nothing to do with the main user interface or vehicle systems. Note that the key feature of their software that they call out in the release is "the ability to track 10 fingers at once".

Quote Originally Posted by arg View Post
    This is just the lowest layer software for turning the outputs of the touch sense hardware into useful key-press/gesture events, nothing to do with the main user interface or vehicle systems. Note that the key feature of their software that they call out in the release is "the ability to track 10 fingers at once".
    Yes, that's what the press release babble says, but if you read their web site, they offer software that integrates automotive sensors and the OS.

But whatever, my real point was this: just because it's in a screen somewhere in the admin UI doesn't mean it's a coming feature. So people shouldn't get their panties in a bunch if their Model S doesn't have feature X because some admin screen had that option on it. That's all I'm really saying.

Yes, that's what the press release babble says, but if you read their web site, they offer software that integrates automotive sensors and the OS.

But whatever, my real point was this: just because it's in a screen somewhere in the admin UI doesn't mean it's a coming feature. So people shouldn't get their panties in a bunch if their Model S doesn't have feature X because some admin screen had that option on it. That's all I'm really saying.
    I think that was understood from the beginning and was never in question. What I personally disagree with though, is why make an ADMIN interface for something you won't use? Admin tools are usually rawer and more spartan than any user facing thing (given how the menu operates, it's pretty clear they didn't bother with too much polish). As a developer, if I have access to an API and I build admin tools to access that API, I'm NOT going to build admin tools to interface with pieces of the API I have no desire to use.

Again, it doesn't mean we'll ever see the features there, but I highly doubt they ARE there because some software exposed a hook to it so they figured "let's write a UI for it!".

...why make an ADMIN interface for something you won't use? Admin tools are usually rawer and more spartan than any user facing thing (given how the menu operates, it's pretty clear they didn't bother with too much polish). As a developer, if I have access to an API and I build admin tools to access that API, I'm NOT going to build admin tools to interface with pieces of the API I have no desire to use.
    I agree with that 100%. Which is why I was theorizing it was a 3rd party app. That would explain why there are things in there that might not be part of the car. Otherwise, I think it's just wishful thinking that Tesla has already written admin screens for features that are just lying in wait to be deployed in the car. Either way, I think we're closer to saying the same thing that not.

What I personally disagree with though, is why make an ADMIN interface for something you won't use?
    Economy of scale is one reason. Perhaps they took the S, X, III, and Roadster (tentative) feature sets and wrote the UI once for all 4?
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by brianman View Post
    Economy of scale is one reason. Perhaps they took the S, X, III, and Roadster (tentative) feature sets and wrote the UI once for all 4?
    Doubtful bman, its software. Ignore it for now and touch it when you HAVE to. One thing to note, is that power folding mirrors was missing off the lists, and from rumors, it sounds like its not in the works

Thread Information