Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to lose it with rats in my Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I park my car in an old shed/garage and noticed the smell of urine two weeks ago. Took out the frunk and found droppings that are typical of what you see on Tesla forums and YouTube tutorials.

This week I went ALL OUT on rat prevention. Took out the drunk and thoroughly cleaned, disinfected with a wet-dry vac, multiple times. Installed repellent diffusers, sprayed peppermint oil nightly, and installed TWO Ultrasonic audio emitters as well as double sided tape. Additionally I emptied my whole garage, cleaned and disinfected, decluttered, and installed chicken wire around the entire interior perimeter about a foot high, over some holes in the Sheetrock that I assumed were the entry point.

After a week of busting ass on this today I walked in and there was a fresh rat turd under the car, approx right under the center console location. I popped the frunk and two more fresh poops were 6” from the diffuser can and the feint smell of urine.

Absolutely at my wits end. The shed is old but I cannot afford to tear it down/rebuild another. I have absolutely no clue how it got in, unless it jumped down from the ceiling?!

The only thing I can think is that the rat(s) never left the car for the entire week it took to do all this work? Where else do rodents go in the car? Can I easily remove other panels to access common problem areas?

Also, is it possible to let the car sit somewhere “cold” and unplugged so the rat(s) lose interest b/c there’s no heat generated? Or will it still kick out a heat source?

Other clues: There’s no food source anywhere. I dont eat in, or allow eating in my car. The opposite side of the glove box has nibbles in the frunk area, but they haven’t gotten inside the car or glovebox.

Any help appreciated b/c I just invested about 25 hours of work into this and failed. Driving me crazy.

Last edited:
I've concluded audio emitters, oil, etc. do almost nothing.

The holes in chicken wire that I'm familiar with are too big.

My recommendations:

If possible, seal the structure, with steel wool, Great Stuff, etc.

Go wild with traps. 10-20 traps, snap, glue, bucket, etc.

I feel for you. Those rats are almost invincible.

I park my car in an old shed/garage and noticed the smell of urine two weeks ago. Took out the frunk and found droppings that are typical of what you see on Tesla forums and YouTube tutorials.

This week I went ALL OUT on rat prevention. Took out the drunk and thoroughly cleaned, disinfected with a wet-dry vac, multiple times. Installed repellent diffusers, sprayed peppermint oil nightly, and installed TWO Ultrasonic audio emitters as well as double sided tape. Additionally I emptied my whole garage, cleaned and disinfected, decluttered, and installed chicken wire around the entire interior perimeter about a foot high, over some holes in the Sheetrock that I assumed were the entry point.

After a week of busting ass on this today I walked in and there was a fresh rat turd under the car, approx right under the center console location. I popped the frunk and two more fresh poops were 6” from the diffuser can and the feint smell of urine.

Absolutely at my wits end. The shed is old but I cannot afford to tear it down/rebuild another. I have absolutely no clue how it got in, unless it jumped down from the ceiling?!

The only thing I can think is that the rat(s) never left the car for the entire week it took to do all this work? Where else do rodents go in the car? Can I easily remove other panels to access common problem areas?

Also, is it possible to let the car sit somewhere “cold” and unplugged so the rat(s) lose interest b/c there’s no heat generated? Or will it still kick out a heat source?

Other clues: There’s no food source anywhere. I dont eat in, or allow eating in my car. The opposite side of the glove box has nibbles in the frunk area, but they haven’t gotten inside the car or glovebox.

Any help appreciated b/c I just invested about 25 hours of work into this and failed. Driving me crazy.

It doesn't matter whether your car is warm or not, rats are still a car problem.

A cat is the best. They don't need to eat rats, but its presence would keep them away.

Then, of course, you can use traps and poisons (in the form of yummy food for rats).

Keeping rats out of an older structure is a losing proposition. Your only real solution is to trap and kill or relocate the vermin. A cat will do this for you.
I think this is the way. I forgot to mention I have a humane trap so I might need to buy more. They somehow ate the food without triggering the trap the first go round. There’s an opening in the sheetrock in the ceiling but I’ve closed off all the low exits. Hopefully if they’re parachuting in I can trap them this time. What a pain

• Funny
Reactions: afadeev
Is your car running ok?
First thing. Steel wool does not work for rats. I have first hand knowledge of this. You literally need to put those green rat poison cubes everywhere.
And, keep a few cats.
BTW how did you install the ultra sonic repellent? I need to install one also.

Reactions: PianoAl
Is your car running ok?
First thing. Steel wool does not work for rats. I have first hand knowledge of this. You literally need to put those green rat poison cubes everywhere.
And, keep a few cats.
BTW how did you install the ultra sonic repellent? I need to install one also.
I did use the ultrasonic rellepant in the past with no success.

What works for me is those green cubes. The rats love to eat them and die. But you just have to replenish them because there seem to be unlimited numbers of rats no matter how many got killed.

The most effective way is a cat. I raised it as an outdoor cat. I keep its food and water in the garage.
It roams around garage and the garden as well. It didn't kill even one single rat but they all got scared off and make a living in other homes that don't cats.

Is the car running ok? Hope the rats have not chewed up any critical wiring.

Reactions: jeremymc7
Is the car running ok? Hope the rats have not chewed up any critical wiring.
Yeah no issues (yet) thank god. I did see some nibbles on the plastic conduit though so time is of the essence.

Judging by the amount of poop I’m guessing 1 or 2 uninvited guests. I looked everywhere that’s accessible without taking apart the interior and can’t seem to locate them. Most activity seems like the front but there were droppings where the condensate comes out too.

With the soy wire harnesses, water and a warm battery it seems like a great home in the winter. I actually unplugged the car today and set up a humane trap with a trail of marshmallows leading from the front end. I don’t want any dying in the car, so no poison. Plan is catch and release!

There’s no way to escape now in the garage unless they pull some serious climbing acrobatics; and I use the car for Rideshare so it’s always moving except for stops. Hard to imagine they’ve been driving around with me.

Reactions: nicksp
I've concluded audio emitters, oil, etc. do almost nothing.

The holes in chicken wire that I'm familiar with are too big.

My recommendations:

If possible, seal the structure, with steel wool, Great Stuff, etc.

Go wild with traps. 10-20 traps, snap, glue, bucket, etc.

I feel for you. Those rats are almost invincible.
Thanks yeah I don’t want dead rats to deal with either in the car or in traps so going humane. Bought a big trap and might try the bucket option too.

The chicken wire is more like heavy screen with 1/4” gaps so they def can’t fit. If they try to leave now they can’t escape, unless they go up. If the trap doesn’t work I guess I’ll need a camera to assess where they go. Right now it appears they’re content living inside. My guess is they’re huddled up keeping warm for the winter! Really hope I don’t capture one that leaves babies behind 👎🏽

I think this is the way. I forgot to mention I have a humane trap so I might need to buy more. They somehow ate the food without triggering the trap the first go round. There’s an opening in the sheetrock in the ceiling but I’ve closed off all the low exits. Hopefully if they’re parachuting in I can trap them this time. What a pain
Rodents can climb. Ever seen a squirrel? Assume a rat can do all the same things.

A cleaned out shed is actually a space you could seal off, but no, you can't leave any openings at all. Everything has to be hard sealed. They can still easily break through weakly sealed areas but then at least you'd see where you'd sealed it too weakly.

Reactions: afadeev
There was a mouse stuck in a trash can in the garage. I was feeling humane, so I released him 100 yards from the house. The next day he was in the trash can again! I can't fathom that he went in there again--he had to climb up something and jump in. It was empty. No food.

Anyway, I improved the mouse gene pool by humanely dispatching him.

Learn their habits by watching. We found calling cards in the pantry. Set up a live trap and moved the Blink security camera. Reviewing camera footage and found him ... so cute. Live trap no good. Spent three hours putting the food in a plastic bag hoping to catch him napping in a box of foof during the day. Nope, we just put the food back and sealed the space under the door. Aimed camera at sealed space, saw him trying to get in pantry. Then set up kill traps. Got him, took three days.

So ... use motion detecting cameras to see their habits.