Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas heat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It can gets extremely hot in Texas is there anything you can do to prevent the heat from getting in the cabin if you cannot park in the shade? Also is that a problem for areas where it’s hot (the top is glass) The cabin protections already kicked on when it’s 80° outside.

It can gets extremely hot in Texas is there anything you can do to prevent the heat from getting in the cabin if you cannot park in the shade? Also is that a problem for areas where it’s hot (the top is glass) The cabin protections already kicked on when it’s 80° outside.
Cabin Overheat Protection by default comes on when the cabin temperature exceeds 100°F to keep it under triple digits. Newer cars have an option to lower that to 95°F or even 90°F if you want. I wouldn't invest too much time being concerned about this topic though, it's not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

It doesnt get appreciably hotter in this car than it did in any other car you owned in the same area. The main difference is, you have data that shows you how hot the car is.

EVERY CAR you had was hot inside when it was 80 degrees outside, which is why there are always those public safety announcements to not leave kids and pets in the car, even for a short time, even when "its not that hot" outside.

You can use cabin overheat protection, but you already are. There isnt any reason to worry about how hot it gets in the car though, unless you thought about that a lot in the other cars you had.

Reactions: Royal27 and E90alex
It doesnt get appreciably hotter in this car than it did in any other car you owned in the same area. The main difference is, you have data that shows you how hot the car is.

EVERY CAR you had was hot inside when it was 80 degrees outside, which is why there are always those public safety announcements to not leave kids and pets in the car, even for a short time, even when "its not that hot" outside.

You can use cabin overheat protection, but you already are. There isnt any reason to worry about how hot it gets in the car though, unless you thought about that a lot in the other cars you had.
Thanks

i bought the 2 piece roof shade. i could feel the heat on the top of my head while driving even with the A/C on max fan spd, and pointed up. i have fan only cabin protection on.

all my previous vehicles had the WeatherTech window visors and i would leave the windows about 1/2" open. the available window visors for Tesla's look a bit iffy.

i also LLumar Air80 windshield tint, and use a full coverage windshield shade by Magnelex. the accordian style ones usually a few inches too short for the tall Tesla windshields, and get floppy and don't hold up after one summer.

20240413_140036.jpg

Reactions: Ben W and BC-LR
It doesn't get that hot here in BC Canada. But I did Xpel 70% ceramic tint on front glass and windshield. No difference for the driver day or night... (See pic) But.. a huge difference in heat rejection. Cabin stays way cooler and even driving in direct sun - the sizzling heat is cut out. Super comfortable and definately doing this to all vehicles going forward. Glass top covers and windshield covers are also options. Otherwise, for no fuss easy heat rejection, these new ceramic tints are amazing.

Attachments

• PXL_20240504_235519501~2.jpg
    PXL_20240504_235519501~2.jpg
    1,018.3 KB · Views: 7
i got the whole car tinted with xpel ceramic. roof, front, back and all sides.

also use the roof and windshield shade when parked outside in the sun.

when you're in texas during the summer...there isn't much stopping it. it's going to get extremely hot and humid here.

i park in my garage at home and when leaving for work in the early morning, my cabin temp is close to 90 degrees at 6am during the summer

best thing to do is just remember to turn the ac on before going to the car.

Reactions: BitJam and Skavatar
Here in the high desert of New Mexico we don't have the humidity but the sun is brutal due to less atmosphere to block it. Roof shade, windshield shade, and tinting are all good but IMO, even combined, they do little to lower the final inside temperature when the car is sitting out in the sun.

Same is true of Cabin Overheat Protection because it turns off after 12 hours. It is obviously not meant to protect the interior from getting hot. The purpose is to save the life of a child or pet that was inadvertently left in the car. Tesla says:
This feature is intended for passenger comfort and has no impact on the reliability of your vehicle's components.

A year ago Elon boasted that no child (or pet?) had died due to being left inside a Tesla.

IMO the car is designed to handle the high temps. I am more concerned about other items that stay in the car such as a usb drive.

Hot Weather Best Practices

Operating Climate Controls

It doesnt get appreciably hotter in this car than it did in any other car you owned in the same area.

I'm going to test this assertion, as it doesn't seem to agree with my anecdotal experience so far. The Tesla seems much warmer sitting in the sun than previous cars, and this is still in cooler springtime weather where temperatures are in the 50s and 60s. There have been 55 degree days where the cabin was uncomfortably warm, and I don't recall that occurring with other vehicles.

My least favorite "feature" is the roof glass. Why they put so much weight on the worst location to place weight is beyond me. It's among my few engineering idiocy complaints on the best car by far that I've ever driven.

I'm going to test this assertion, as it doesn't seem to agree with my anecdotal experience so far. The Tesla seems much warmer sitting in the sun than previous cars, and this is still in cooler springtime weather where temperatures are in the 50s and 60s. There have been 55 degree days where the cabin was uncomfortably warm, and I don't recall that occurring with other vehicles.

My least favorite "feature" is the roof glass. Why they put so much weight on the worst location to place weight is beyond me. It's among my few engineering idiocy complaints on the best car by far that I've ever driven.

How are you planning on testing this? Some sort of thermometer?

All or most other manufacturers have copied this. I don't think it would have copied if it was a bad idea engineering-wise. In a model 3 thread someone says they saved 14 lbs by replacing the glass roof with carbon fiber. OTOH, I agree with you, it's my least favorite feature too.

Here in the high desert of New Mexico we don't have the humidity but the sun is brutal due to less atmosphere to block it. Roof shade, windshield shade, and tinting are all good but IMO, even combined, they do little to lower the final inside temperature when the car is sitting out in the sun.

Same is true of Cabin Overheat Protection because it turns off after 12 hours. It is obviously not meant to protect the interior from getting hot. The purpose is to save the life of a child or pet that was inadvertently left in the car. Tesla says:
This feature is intended for passenger comfort and has no impact on the reliability of your vehicle's components.

A year ago Elon boasted that no child (or pet?) had died due to being left inside a Tesla.

IMO the car is designed to handle the high temps. I am more concerned about other items that stay in the car such as a usb drive.

Hot Weather Best Practices

Operating Climate Controls

I have noticed too, that steady state values are very close... comparing with a person who has ceramic tint vs. mine which is not tinted yet besides the stained glass from factory. After a while both our cars reach around the same temperature, by mid-day.

My cars windows are tinted except for the front windshield. I live in Houston. I highly recommend getting an electrostatic roof shade (~$50). Made a huge difference for me, and I've just decided to leave it on the roof (the shade's fabric back is color-matched to the interior fabric). Also use a front windshield shade if you leave your car parked outside for any extended period of time.

• Informative
Reactions: Skavatar and BitJam
Get all your windows tinted including the windshield (I was a non believe for a LONG time, but I am 100% on board now).
It's not going to keep the peak temps down if you are parked outside for 8/10 hours in the summer. But it's going to keep it much nicer when you are driving and for shorter durations parked out in the sun.

Reactions: BC-LR
the side that faces up has some sort of metallic material, supposed to block or reflect some of the heat/light.

on regular roofs, there is a thin layer of insulation. with glass roof there isn't. driving while its sunny and even with the A/C on and pointed upwards I can definitely feel the heat on the top of my head. that was in April and it was only in the lower 80's. that's why I bought the roof shade, noticeably cooler. now its in the lower 90's, i think its worth it.

"Electrostatic"??? Uhh...seriously? Language translation issue, for sure.
They are marketed as electrostatic but the actual mechanism is surface tension like static cling stickers. IMO "electrostatic" conveys the main gist: there are no suction cups or clips needed for it to adhere. Also, due to heavy marketing of dryer sheets the term "static cling" has a lot of negative connotations.