Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Overheat Protection - Necessary?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd much rather ditch any moon roofs and replace them with solar panels. As it is I have aftermarket reflective shades for the moon roof and half the rear roof of our Model 3.

People say solar panels on the roof won't generate much and maybe that's true but half the benefit is keeping the heat out of the car in the first place.

Solar on our house cuts down the heat into our attic tremendously which cuts down the heat into our house and lowers AC bills.

I agree that it's not going to be comfortable sitting in a ~100F car, but then what is it good for? :)
Exactly! It's honestly a very confusing feature because they say right in the owner's manual it's not needed for the electronic components but as we've already stated, it's too hot for life forms to be in there. So I don't really understand what the feature was implemented for in the first place

Exactly! It's honestly a very confusing feature because they say right in the owner's manual it's not needed for the electronic components but as we've already stated, it's too hot for life forms to be in there. So I don't really understand what the feature was implemented for in the first place

I can’t speak for everyone but I live somewhere with a lot of sun and heat and it makes a difference in terms of comfort.

Even if I pre-cool the car down to the 70s a couple of minutes before I get in, there will still be surfaces in the car that are nearly twice as hot. So as I’m driving, I have cold air blowing in my face but I can still feel heat radiating from those surfaces (the dash, side panels, seats, etc).

COP (I use “No A/C” which only activates the fan) helps because it keeps the temperature of those surfaces lower while I’m parked.

Is it necessary? No but it’s a pretty nice quality of life perk IMO.

Last edited:
I'd much rather ditch any moon roofs and replace them with solar panels. As it is I have aftermarket reflective shades for the moon roof and half the rear roof of our Model 3.

People say solar panels on the roof won't generate much and maybe that's true but half the benefit is keeping the heat out of the car in the first place.

Solar on our house cuts down the heat into our attic tremendously which cuts down the heat into our house and lowers AC bills.
That's one thing I really like about the Fisker Ocean. It's pretty cool having the solar panel roof up there, IMO. That's also something I like about the Aptera (if that ever enters production), though in that case they're not putting it on a window/glass.

Reactions: Falcon73