Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep. For me there's nothing to be pleased about with v11.x.
11.3.6 was really good for me, but maybe that was only true in the legacy models, or maybe it was only true in my conditions. Regardless, almost every step since then has been a step backwards. I mentioned an exception earlier, but I had another new experience I haven't seen mentioned here (may not be news if most people following along have other sources): I was driving in a 60 where the speed limit dropped to 55 and ego didn't lower my set speed. It was obviously intentional because the display of the set speed changed and a message popped up saying something to the effect of "maintaining speed for traffic flow."

Speaking of versions, that last Twitter post said "Hopefully V12 solves this issue." Am I out of the loop, with Elon talking about V12, or was that just a random wishful thinking type comment?

11.3.6 was really good for me, but maybe that was only true in the legacy models, or maybe it was only true in my conditions. Regardless, almost every step since then has been a step backwards. I mentioned an exception earlier, but I had another new experience I haven't seen mentioned here (may not be news if most people following along have other sources): I was driving in a 60 where the speed limit dropped to 55 and ego didn't lower my set speed. It was obviously intentional because the display of the set speed changed and a message popped up saying something to the effect of "maintaining speed for traffic flow."

Speaking of versions, that last Twitter post said "Hopefully V12 solves this issue." Am I out of the loop, with Elon talking about V12, or was that just a random wishful thinking type comment?
“Probably”

• Funny
Reactions: mxnym
What is the "dark sunglasses anti-hand nag trick"?
The degree to which dark sunglasses affect FSD varies. I have prescription sunglass with an amber tint that defeats the internal camera completely. I can stare at the display for minutes at a time and FSD will never warn me to pay attention. By the way I did this on the highway several times in very light traffic with a passenger watching for me. I have another pair of dark sunglasses, not prescription and not amber and I will get warned. Just got a new HW4 Model Y so it will be interesting to see if I can still defeat camera monitoring.

• Informative
Reactions: hybridbear
The degree to which dark sunglasses affect FSD varies. I have prescription sunglass with an amber tint that defeats the internal camera completely. I can stare at the display for minutes at a time and FSD will never warn me to pay attention. By the way I did this on the highway several times in very light traffic with a passenger watching for me. I have another pair of dark sunglasses, not prescription and not amber and I will get warned. Just got a new HW4 Model Y so it will be interesting to see if I can still defeat camera monitoring.
Is that under all lighting and traffic conditions? I've had intervals of almost 10 minutes when driving on limited access highways with good lighting and low traffic. In most cases, the sunglass trick seems to create hand nag intervals of 30 seconds to a minute in duration. My sunglasses are dark gray Cemistrie magnetic clipons.

Help us, Obi-Wan V12 Kenobi, You’re our Last Hope.

Mr Wizard... twizzle, twazzle, twuzzle, twone, time for Mr Musk to go home...

Screenshot 2023-09-04 192715.png

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
Yikes. She's having some pedestrian issues. Here's another v11.4.7 vs. pedestrian. Recall she just posted about needing to brake for a parent/child crossing the street.

This is not a failure, it's a design decision. It may be a bad design decision (like choosing at first to perform rolling stop signs), but it is one nonetheless. It was added as a feature in v11.4.1:

"- Improved ego's assertiveness for crossing pedestrians in cases where ego can easily and safely cross before the pedestrian."

What was wrong with that? The pedestrians were far away from the path of the car.

It's illegal in some states to not yield to pedestrians once they enter a crosswalk. Just like it's illegal in most states to not come to a complete stop at a stop sign.

The wrong thing is people pretending that it's a fault in FSD Beta. As if it didn't see the pedestrians, or had some sort of error that prevented it from stopping. It's not a fault, it's a deliberate feature.

It's illegal in some states to not yield to pedestrians once they enter a crosswalk. Just like it's illegal in most states to not come to a complete stop at a stop sign.

The wrong thing is people pretending that it's a fault in FSD Beta. As if it didn't see the pedestrians, or had some sort of error that prevented it from stopping. It's not a fault, it's a deliberate feature.
Perhaps we need a setting to toggle between "Obey all traffic laws" and "Drive like a normal driver". The default would be "Obey all traffic laws".

Reactions: willow_hiller
Perhaps we need a setting to toggle between "Obey all traffic laws" and "Drive like a normal driver". The default would be "Obey all traffic laws".

When FSD Beta is Level 3+, I think it will have to obey all traffic laws by default.

But for now, while it's Level 2, the "Obey all traffic laws" switch is the brake pedal.

The driver had the best view and seemed surprised which should be enough concern. And we won't pretend a wide angle lens doesn't distort distances. With the Tesla occupying the right most lane and the pedestrians arriving at left turn lane there's about 2 lane separation - maybe 40ft when FSD buzzed the turn.

If anything there's something wrong when people complain about videos showing FSD safety issues/concerns.

Reactions: jebinc
Recall she just posted about needing to brake for a parent/child crossing the street.
Personally, as someone who doesn't use Twitter, I recall no such thing, but it certainly didn't appear to happen in this video.
The driver had the best view and seemed surprised which should be enough concern.
Should we be concerned that the driver didn't read the release notes, or concerend that the driver didn't understand them?
And we won't pretend a wide angle lens doesn't distort distances.
"a wide angle lens"? A lens judging distance based on motion probably wouldn't be good enough at all. AFAIK, there are multiple lenses and stereoscopic vision involved with the field of view that this pedestrian would have occupied. Keep in mind that FSD is, in fact, NOT human, and should, accordingly, be able to accurately and consistently account for any distortion that MIGHT exist in the stereoscopic view using math, which computers happen to be pretty good at.
With the Tesla occupying the right most lane and the pedestrians arriving at left turn lane there's about 2 lane separation - maybe 40ft when FSD buzzed the turn.
"Buzzed the turn?" In my experience, you'd be hard-pressed to get FSD to do anything that might even have a remote possibility of triggering a skid outside of driving on ice, it's not even remotely aggressive when it comes to cornering, and using the accelerator in an attempt to override that will lead to a wider turn, even if it crosses double-yellows or goes off he shoulder.
If anything there's something wrong when people complain about videos showing FSD safety issues/concerns.
Who is complaining? Unless it's people on Twitter, you are being overly dramatic. Prior to this post to which I'm replying, all discussion here since you posted the link to the video has involved why this happened or distinguished between fault and feature. I certainly haven't seen any complaint about the video post.

Frankly, your post with the tweet was reasonable, but in my opinion, your arguments about why other people should be as concerned as you claim to be are a bit out there.