Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Model 3 Performance Announced - Discussion thread post announcement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They didn’t low ball my trade in. They gave me well within the KBB value.
Tesla offered me within the KBB value also, but it was $20,000 less than what I paid and my M3P is less than one year old with 5,000 miles. I'd love to buy the refreshed M3P, but not for a $20,000 loss (not to mention the money I invested in PPF, ceramic coating and all-season tires).

I think people are going to be pleasantly surprised when they actually put a Dragy on it without any passengers. I think Tesla has sandbagged that 0-60 mph time a bit. With a fully optimized battery I believe this car will be capable of running the 2.9 time without rollout subtracted.

Adding 16% max torque to the rear motor is very significant. That is something like a 10% overall improvement. That is more than a .2 second difference.

View attachment 1042685

People here act like subtracting .2 seconds form a 3.1 sec car is so easy.

The interest rates right now are crazy. Making me second guess my order. The lowest I have been able to find is 4.95% which is better than Tesla’s advertised rate of 6.39%. It’s painful to see the amount of interest paid over the loan.
I'm with you on this. I was actually getting ready to pay cash on a pre-owned 22 m3p in early April until I saw the speculation thread and kept up with it. I figured, why not just see what the new m3p will be about and what kind of price it will have and then really decide from there. Then, lo and behold, the new features and price (esp with it being eligible for tax credit) was enough for me to decide to just use the cash I had for a pre-owned one towards the down payment instead. With interest rates as high as they are, I fully recognize it's not the best choice to make financially. But the overall value of this car and the tax credit make it too good to pass up for me. Now I just need to decide whether or not to use the full amount I have towards the down payment or only put 20% and pocket the rest for now. I'm leaning towards the former to lower the monthly.

Last edited:
I think people are going to be pleasantly surprised when they actually put a Dragy on it without any passengers. I think Tesla has sandbagged that 0-60 mph time a bit. With a fully optimized battery I believe this car will be capable of running the 2.9 time without rollout subtracted.

Adding 16% max torque to the rear motor is very significant. That is something like a 10% overall improvement. That is more than a .2 second difference.

View attachment 1042685
I look forward to seeing your Dragy results from Rockingham (I assume that's the dragstrip you frequent.)

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
I look forward to seeing your Dragy results from Rockingham (I assume that's the dragstrip you frequent.)
I go to Rockingham, Piedmont, Galot, and Fayetteville. I am really lucky to have 4 tracks within 60 miles of me. I am keeping both cars for a week or two to test them head to head if I can find another driver. I also am going to have several sets of wheels to try on both cars in various sizes.

I'm with you on this. I was actually getting ready to pay cash on a pre-owned 22 m3p in early April until I saw the speculation thread and kept up with it. I figured, why not just see what the new m3p will be about and what kind of price it will have and then really decide from there. Then, lo and behold, the new features and price (esp with it being eligible for tax credit) was enough for me to decide to just use the cash I had I was going to use for a pre-owned one towards the down payment instead. With interest rates as high as they are, I fully recognize it's not the best choice to make financially. But the overall value of this car and the tax credit make it too good to pass up for me. Now I just need to decide whether or not to use the full amount I have towards the down payment or only put 20% and pocket the rest for now. I'm leaning towards the former to lower the monthly.
Agreed, for what we would be getting the new M3P is an insane deal. It really isn't the best financial decision and the $7500 tax credit is eaten up in interest. So I guess you’d end up just paying retail lol. My 23’ M3P is for sure totaled and not sure if I can wait until June anyway. But the new M3P would make me very happy 😊

People here act like subtracting .2 seconds form a 3.1 sec car is so easy.
It is. I went from 3.23 to 3.01 by just removing 205 lbs of weight. Nothing else. That is one passenger's worth of weight. I didn't increase power at all. Just removed weight.

Removing the weight helps but not as much as increasing power. Remember the car weighs over 4,000 lbs and has over 500 HP. If I remove 200 lbs I improve acceleration by approximately 5%. They are claiming a sustained 22% power increase and 16% more max torque for the rear motor with the new car. Not to even mention the 32% increase in max rear HP. Those increases in Power and Torque are extremely significant.

Last edited:
Reactions: juliusb and TehEno
Agreed, for what we would be getting the new M3P is an insane deal. It really isn't the best financial decision and the $7500 tax credit is eaten up in interest. So I guess you’d end up just paying retail lol. My 23’ M3P is for sure totaled and not sure if I can wait until June anyway. But the new M3P would make me very happy 😊

Yep my thinking too. The tax credit basically pays for the tax. Haha

If you can't wait until June, what are your options?

Reactions: selby and mpgxsvcd
So LG or BYD can’t make a good NCA battery like Panasonic? That was my question/point.

The comment you are replying to is wrong.

Originally (starting 2018) all Teslas were made in the US with Tesla batteries. They were designed by Tesla and help made by Panasonic in the US and nowhere else. Panasonic is not making Tesla batteries in Japan. As volume increased rapidly worldwide and the Shanghai planet up and running, the US just couldn't make enough batteries. Tesla then made deals with CATL in China and then with LG in South Korea to make LFP and NCA batteries to meet demand. Once the Shanghai plant ramped up, all cars not sold in the US are made in Shanghai. The cars shipped to Europe from China used the LG batteries and the Chinese cars used the CATL batteries.
Then as volume increased even more, the US Standard Range 3 and Y started using the LG batteries. This then moved in to the Long Range version of the 3 also. That is why only the Performance Model 3 with the Tesla batteries made by Panasonic qualifies for the federal discount.

There are differences between the Tesla/Panasonic batteries vs the LG batteries mostly with the chemistry and not necessary that they can't make good batteries. The Tesla/Panasonic NMC battery has a higher energy density and can dump and take energy faster than the LG NCA and CATL LFP batteries. That is why they are good for the Performance cars. The drawback is probably slightly higher battery degradation and shouldn't be charged to 100% too often. The LFP batteries SHOULD be charged to 100% at least once a week but is a weaker battery overall.

Last edited:
Yep my thinking too. The tax credit basically pays for the tax. Haha

If you can't wait until June, what are your options?
Great question! Well I guess a RWD model that’s in inventory? Don’t yell at me on this one, but Ford is offering zero percent on Mach E GT’s and $3k off. I went to a dealer and looked at one and they were offering another $5k off. The Mach-E GT is surprisingly nice. The zero percent is tempting, but unsure if I want to go outside of Tesla for an EV.

Great question! Well I guess a RWD model that’s in inventory? Don’t yell at me on this one, but Ford is offering zero percent on Mach E GT’s and $3k off. I went to a dealer and looked at one and they were offering another $5k off. The Mach-E GT is surprisingly nice. The zero percent is tempting, but unsure if I want to go outside of Tesla for an EV.

Fords are good I guess but their software and BMS are still not good at all. Like you can run out of juice before you get to 0% battery on the display for example.

Reactions: selby
Fords are good I guess but their software and BMS are still not good at all. Like you can run out of juice before you get to 0% battery on the display for example.
Yeah, I am skeptical. Plus the slow fast charging speeds and the infotainment screen was pretty laggy. There’s also a reason 2023’s are still on the lots. I’d hate to go just for the deal and absolutely hate it in real world living or on the flip side it could be fine.

The comment you are replying to is wrong.

Originally (starting 2018) all Teslas were made in the US with Tesla batteries. They were designed by Tesla and help made by Panasonic in the US and nowhere else. Panasonic is not making Tesla batteries in Japan. As volume increased rapidly worldwide and the Shanghai planet up and running, the US just couldn't make enough batteries. Tesla then made deals with CATL in China and then with LG in South Korea to make LFP and NCA batteries to meet demand. Once the Shanghai plant ramped up, all cars not sold in the US are made in Shanghai. The cars shipped to Europe from China used the LG batteries and the Chinese cars used the CATL batteries.
Then as volume increased even more, the US Standard Range 3 and Y started using the LG batteries. This then moved in to the Long Range version of the 3 also. That is why only the Performance Model 3 with the Tesla batteries made by Panasonic qualifies for the federal discount.

There are differences between the Tesla/Panasonic batteries vs the LG batteries mostly with the chemistry and not necessary that they can't make good batteries. The Tesla/Panasonic NMC battery has a higher energy density and can dump and take energy faster than the LG NCA and CATL LFP batteries. That is why they are good for the Performance cars. The drawback is probably slightly higher battery degradation and shouldn't be charged to 100% too often. The LFP batteries SHOULD be charged to 100% at least once a week but is a weaker battery overall.
I think you meant LG NMC and Panasonic NCA.

It is clear the LG battery is limiting the power output for the MIC Model 3 P. So the question is - why is the LG battery “not as good” as the Panasonic NCA USA made battery? Why is the LG battery not made to the same standards as the Panasonic USA battery? I understand part of it is NMC vs NCA, but the crux of the question is why is there not a battery available for MIC cars on par with the Panasonic battery made in the USA?

Reactions: M109Rider
I think you meant LG NMC and Panasonic NCA.

It is clear the LG battery is limiting the power output for the MIC Model 3 P. So the question is - why is the LG battery “not as good” as the Panasonic NCA USA made battery? Why is the LG battery not made to the same standards as the Panasonic USA battery? I understand part of it is NMC vs NCA, but the crux of the question is why is there not a battery available for MIC cars on par with the Panasonic battery made in the USA?

Yes NCA.