Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

YouYou Xue crashed while on autopilot (aka Model 3 Road Trip)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm glad Xue is fine and I'm sorry to hear about the accident.
Each person will spin the story how they see fit. My take is that he pushed AP too far and eventually the house odds won over.

This is my biggest gripe with AP, and it is not against AP per se at all: people somewhat naturally give it more independence than it can handle. This is going to be the storyline for years to come until AP really is autonomous and not just an assist.

I agree, he’s a ris taker and really pushed the car to its limits. Here’s a video I’d him testing AP with the head lights off. Please slow it down Youyou, I’m glad you’re doing ok.

Tesla Model 3 Road Trip

This example proves how effective FUD can be, especially in unverified anecdotal experiences. :(
Ok, anecdotal aside, we have 2 deaths(X & one in China) plus You You's account. The uncertainty/doubt does come from no reassuring response to the previous instances. When I hear that these 3 accidents were investigated and AP changes made, then there will be less uncertainty. Right now I'm not sure that the benefit from AP justifies the risk that comes with it.

Ok, anecdotal aside, we have 2 deaths(X & one in China) plus You You's account. The uncertainty/doubt does come from no reassuring response to the previous instances. When I hear that these 3 accidents were investigated and AP changes made, then there will be less uncertainty. Right now I'm not sure that the benefit from AP justifies the risk that comes with it.
How many deaths do we have when people are using it correctly with their hands on the wheel? That’s the bar.

I’ll tell you what, if you want to be afraid of something, be afraid of cell phones in cars. Are you freaking out about that in in an exponential fashion? Hope so.

Yet people will continue to text while driving, with or without AP. Pick which one you prefer, AP helps but it’s still only at level 2.

• Disagree
Reactions: Pkmmte and chinnam3
How many deaths do we have when people are using it correctly with their hands on the wheel? That’s the bar.
I think the problem with exit + center divider incidents is that it happens too quick. Few seconds after a car starts following the wrong line on the road. I do space out sometimes for a few seconds looking at some land marks on the side of a highway, but normally your course wouldn't deviate too much during that time frame, b/c you're not actively turning the wheel. When a car picks a wrong navigation pattern, this deviation may happen much sooner (You You claims he didn't have time to react w/ one hand on the wheel). We can call him a liar, but the pattern of X misbehavior was verified by a few people afterwards.

The 2nd most known issue is stationary(fire truck) or slow moving objects(truck in China responsible for fatal accident). I guess these we can blame on driver not paying attention, although it would be nice if AP could at least emergency brake... @0:10

3rd issue - hills/curves. I have not read the AP manual, maybe this isn't supported. At some point in time it should be. @1:23

Notice that the problem, which Edmunds brought up was addressed by Tesla @0:40+

I’ll tell you what, if you want to be afraid of something, be afraid of cell phones in cars. Are you freaking out about that in in an exponential fashion? Hope so.
If I use the phone there's no reason to blame Tesla, right? Why do I have to be afraid of something? The question is whether EAP in it's current form w/ known deficiencies is worth $5K.
Problem is, it is pretty good. To the point when you might start trusting it more and take breaks/distractions long enough to kill you. It happens pretty rarely, so your own experience might just give you enough confidence.

Last edited:
If I use the phone there's no reason to blame Tesla, right? Why do I have to be afraid of something? The question is whether EAP in it's current form w/ known deficiencies is worth $5K.
Problem is, it is pretty good. To the point when you might start trusting it more and take breaks/distractions long enough to kill you. It happens pretty rarely, so your own experience might just give you enough confidence.

Just because a person own me AP doesn’t mean they can break the law.

Reactions: Runarbt
I just saw this video he posted on Facebook evidently. Wow, stupid. Not sure how anyone in their right mind could say he’s using autopilot correctly.

IMG_4670.GIF

Tesla had a part in this by banning any type of support for Youyou and lack of software updates.

How do you expect them to support him in his Model 3, on another continent? It's already hard enough to get repair parts etc here in North America, they haven't begun training service centers in Europe much less stocking parts or even getting the vehicle certified to drive there yet.

20 years ago, if you bought a brand new Skyline GT-R and then imported it to the US (ignoring the fact that this would be illegal and other such obstacles), and then had problems with it, would you fault Nissan for not supporting the vehicle in the US? Skylines (that model - many years later the 350Z descended GT-Rs came to the US) were never sold here. Even importing a foreign vehicle that they sold locally (i.e. 300ZX / Fairlady Z) would probably not be supported - beyond selling you the parts they have in common over the counter. You'd have no warranty support, no service center assistance on account of no training or even reference materials. And if they don't have the parts in the local parts system, they can't even order them!

I have no idea why you have to be afraid of Autopilot, I was simply quoting you. You said "this scares me". I also have no idea where you're going with your phone argument. My experience as an owner with Autopilot is that it makes me a safer driver when I use it correctly. Full stop. In the event that I do "space out", Autopilot is an added layer of safety for me and my family; and I sure hope I have it engaged if that happens. I'm far more afraid of idiots driving while on their phones than I am of Autopilot. And the stats back up my fear. Unfortunately I'm not hearing the same level of outrage about distracted driving.

Honestly, this scares me - the X accident and this one and other people claiming their Teslas were trying to kill them; there's a statement in comments in You You's facebook page like this:
" I had this happen to my 2017 Model S a few weeks ago and glad I had my hands on the steering wheel as it could have been very bad......but just sold the car last week anyways and just bought a 2018 Audi RS5 today as my replacement."

I haven't followed much of the You You saga - but I have to wonder how he can say both that
  • He's fallen asleep in the car under AP about 15-25 times, AND,
  • He finds AP unsafe.
I could see saying 'whoa, I fell asleep once in the car and AP saved my bacon'. But 15-25 times? That's 'I'm relying on it" territory.

When did he say this? Do you have a link?

Reactions: cwerdna
I haven't followed much of the You You saga - but I have to wonder how he can say both that
  • He's fallen asleep in the car under AP about 15-25 times, AND,
  • He finds AP unsafe.
I could see saying 'whoa, I fell asleep once in the car and AP saved my bacon'. But 15-25 times? That's 'I'm relying on it" territory.
I think I read enough of his tour to say he was driving night and day for weeks on end. He was exhausted and should not have kept driving. Your comment is spot on.

I have no idea why you have to be afraid of Autopilot, I was simply quoting you. You said "this scares me". I also have no idea where you're going with your phone argument. My experience as an owner with Autopilot is that it makes me a safer driver when I use it correctly. Full stop. In the event that I do "space out", Autopilot is an added layer of safety for me and my family; and I sure hope I have it engaged if that happens. I'm far more afraid of idiots driving while on their phones than I am of Autopilot. And the stats back up my fear. Unfortunately I'm not hearing the same level of outrage about distracted driving.
You brought up the phone, so my comment to that is - it has nothing to do with Tesla.

As far as "scared" - I am scared of becoming too trusting to AP and then pay the price. This does not have to happen if $5K is not paid.
So this is my choice that has to do with Tesla.

I agree You You behaved highly irresponsible, although I didn't follow his whole saga esp. with lights off EAP driving...Nevertheless, I do not believe he would do this all the time - drive w/o lights. I.e. his past stupidity should not be a reason to brush aside the specific crash circumstances. It does look very similar to X crash - car starts to follow incorrect line markings.

I do wish that Tesla would follow up very aggressively on these AP mishaps, apart from full-fledged NHTSA investigation - try to-recreate and release a fix in a very short time frame.

You're joking, right? I hope you're not seriously saying that Tesla was obligated to support an owner that decided to take his vehicle to a geo where he knew his vehicle wasn't supported.
You guys do of course realize that Tesla's factory is in California and parts are shipped on a daily basis from the US to EU. In addition some repairs (like suspension repairs) are purely mechanical. I am sure YouYou would have understood if they could not repair the car. My point is Tesla did not need to ban it's service centers from performing repairs on this car. In any case it makes the case for independent dealers, and lets assume that the person in question was a service member. Should the same apply? Then we also have to consider that Tesla will not sell you parts or components. They have a complete monopoly on parts, service and software.

You guys do of course realize that Tesla's factory is in California and parts are shipped on a daily basis from the US to EU. In addition some repairs (like suspension repairs) are purely mechanical. I am sure YouYou would have understood if they could not repair the car. My point is Tesla did not need to ban it's service centers from performing repairs on this car. In any case it makes the case for independent dealers, and lets assume that the person in question was a service member. Should the same apply? Then we also have to consider that Tesla will not sell you parts or components. They have a complete monopoly on parts, service and software.
Of course I realize that Tesla ships parts all over the world. But that's for cars that have been gone through the homologation process for the country so they can be legally sold. That was not true in this case. When you take a car into a country where it has not yet gone thru that process, you're pretty much on your own.

YouYou’s Model 3 was the very first one I saw in person and was able to sit in it as well. I’m very thankful for his North American road trip as it enabled myself and many other reservationists to see and experience the Model 3 before pulling the trigger on their own orders.

However, I never thought his European road trip was a good idea. Too many obstacles and unknown variables. I can’t say that I’m surprised that something like this happened. Glad to hear that he was not injured. Whether the net effect of his combined Model 3 adventures will lean more towards positive or negative for Tesla in the long run, I’m not very sure at the moment. I appreciated many of his efforts but also share many of the concerns others have mentioned here about his wrecklessness at times.

Side note; no dash cam video of the incident? Does anyone know if he actually had a dash cam installed? To go on a road trip like this without a dash cam sounds like insanity to me.

Of course I realize that Tesla ships parts all over the world. But that's for cars that have been gone through the homologation process for the country so they can be legally sold. That was not true in this case. When you take a car into a country where it has not yet gone thru that process, you're pretty much on your own.

And just imagine what would have happened if Tesla DID provide support for him overseas? What’s to stop more people from also bringing Model 3’s from the US to unsupported countries? That would open a whole new can of worms that Tesla doesn’t need/want to deal with. Tesla had no choice but to explicitly deny him any sort of support to dissuade other potential “copycats”.