Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow Border

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If this is in fact the policy, I feel like the policy is one small claim court filing away from being changed after much embarrassment.

The position you state, if it is really the current position, is indefensible. I'm not sure how even the biggest Tesla fan would be okay with having a newly bought car under warranty with a discolored yellow LCD screen when the display is the main feature of the car's interior and UI.

They should really do the right thing and get ahead of this with a hardware fix before it ends up being a huge mess.

Yeah I have 2 cars, late 2017 S and late 2017 X, both with the yellowing border very soon after delivery, both promised screen replacement, both with cancelled service visits and the same line about the UV light "fix." Last week my X fob died (under warranty) but they charged me $200 claiming that "100% it was run through the washer in your pants" even though it hasn't been and it's on the SAME keychain as the S key which works JUST fine. They held me hostage until I paid, otherwise underivable car, but they're clearly doing a 180 degree U-turn from being PERFECT service people to now refusing to do what's clearly warranty work. In the past, they'd replace or fix ANYTHING, no questions asked. Now, they're denying what's clearly warranty defects. This is NOT a good long-term strategy for their highest-profit-margin customers.

As much as I hate to do it, I think filing a small claims here in Los Angeles (2 screens at $1350 apiece is a $2700 claim) might be the right thing to do -- would also create a precedent for everyone else here in the state at least. Has anyone here filed a small claim yet, and if so what's been the outcome?

Just picked up a new inventory Model S today and noticed as I drove off the yellow border (although not prominently). After googling and seeing all of these posts I am considering returning it for a refund or at least seeing if I can exchange. Asked service about it and they provided the same response as many claimed - known issue with no fix at this time but there should be a UV light fix in fall. They did reference that it’s cosmetic so probably wouldn’t qualify for a warranty replacement if I kept it and the UV light method doesn’t work. It’s really not bad now but I’ve read it worsens over time and I am not getting a good vibe that there is a real solution in the future. This was at the Miami SC btw. Thoughts? Keep it and hope for a fix, ask for a full refund or exchange it? It’s a shame because I already sold my Model 3 last week.

Just picked up a new inventory Model S today and noticed as I drove off the yellow border (although not prominently). After googling and seeing all of these posts I am considering returning it for a refund or at least seeing if I can exchange. Asked service about it and they provided the same response as many claimed - known issue with no fix at this time but there should be a UV light fix in fall. They did reference that it’s cosmetic so probably wouldn’t qualify for a warranty replacement if I kept it and the UV light method doesn’t work. It’s really not bad now but I’ve read it worsens over time and I am not getting a good vibe that there is a real solution in the future. This was at the Miami SC btw. Thoughts? Keep it and hope for a fix, ask for a full refund or exchange it? It’s a shame because I already sold my Model 3 last week.

The yellow border is happening to many people. Tesla will have to do something.

May I ask why you got rid of your 3 for the S?

If you can find a comparable deal, I would exchange it before the 7 day exchange period is over.

The border will worsen over time, and consume your driving experience - it has for me anyways even though some may find that silly.

If you can find a comparable deal, I would exchange it before the 7 day exchange period is over.

The border will worsen over time, and consume your driving experience - it has for me anyways even though some may find that silly.

Every newer car will sooner or later have the yellow border. To return the car to pick another one which will experience the yellowing few weeks later doesn't make any sense, or does it?

• Helpful
Reactions: MP3Mike and re04586
Yeah I have 2 cars, late 2017 S and late 2017 X, both with the yellowing border very soon after delivery, both promised screen replacement, both with cancelled service visits and the same line about the UV light "fix." Last week my X fob died (under warranty) but they charged me $200 claiming that "100% it was run through the washer in your pants" even though it hasn't been and it's on the SAME keychain as the S key which works JUST fine. They held me hostage until I paid, otherwise underivable car, but they're clearly doing a 180 degree U-turn from being PERFECT service people to now refusing to do what's clearly warranty work. In the past, they'd replace or fix ANYTHING, no questions asked. Now, they're denying what's clearly warranty defects. This is NOT a good long-term strategy for their highest-profit-margin customers.

As much as I hate to do it, I think filing a small claims here in Los Angeles (2 screens at $1350 apiece is a $2700 claim) might be the right thing to do -- would also create a precedent for everyone else here in the state at least. Has anyone here filed a small claim yet, and if so what's been the outcome?

I guess what would be your end goal? money? are you going to be any happier going through the small claims process? because if no one out there can make a replacement that won't have this problem for this size screen, what do you achieve in the meantime other than depleting Tesla of some funds? We have a 3/2017 MS which has had it's screen replaced once for this issue and the replacement has some light yellow around the border now too. I wouldn't say that Tesla has ignored this but tried a replacement for many of us already and clearly as one person's post from SvC said, swapping out screens is not a solution. I don't think our new screen is as bad as our other screen however and had it longer but clearly it's there. It's my husband's car so he's the primary driver but we just came back from a weekend trip where I was in it and took turns driving and honestly I don't recall even focusing on any screen border issue for any reason. I suspect the refreshed cars will end up with the Model 3 size screens with big black borders around them. I'm guessing this is an issue of the sealant discoloring at the screen edge. At this point I at least feel that the yellow border is preferable to the older MSs that had the adhesive forming bubbles and leaking out into a gooey mess.

As far as what are they doing, it sounds like someone came up with possibly this UV light treatment and they are probably treating a batch of screens and seeing what the results are over a given period of time. Otherwise what's the point? Don't see that right now there's much we as owners can do other than at least let them know your car has been affected.

I'm sure other manufacturers are out there watching how this goes. No doubt Tesla's large screens have had a wow factor and something owners have enjoyed having in their cars for maps and other car features; and something other manufacturers would love to follow to stay competitive. Most of these guys are still designing their cars for production in a few years so have some flexibility what they end up installing and surely don't want to be faced with the same issue.

There are those big giant jumbotrons at ball parks that face extreme heat from the sun and hot temps. Wonder how they do over time.

Last edited:
Every newer car will sooner or later have the yellow border. To return the car to pick another one which will experience the yellowing few weeks later doesn't make any sense, or does it?

Excellent point.

I would add though that we are not certain "every newer car will sooner or later have the yellow border."
However, we are certain his/her current car has it. If it's not too much a hassle, and there is a similar inventory deal to be had, I wouldn't rule out the exchange.

The yellow border is happening to many people. Tesla will have to do something.

May I ask why you got rid of your 3 for the S?

A few minor gripes that bothered me over time (no power lift trunk, tired of explaining to valet and passengers how to use the door handles and the key or how to get out, hands free blue tooth had an echo sometimes for the other caller, had to do satellite radio via app, glove box had issues opening randomly) but mainly found that I wanted more space for the family.

Overall loved the 3 and how it drove (much more responsive than the S) but it came down to that I wanted more room and started longing for the comforts of the S. When they did the free super charging for inventory S’s then I jumped on it. I own an X as well but to me the S has always been Tesla’s best looking car.

Yes, that same thought occurred to me but I haven’t been able to confirm if all cars are/will be affected. Appears to be random or people are not noticing and reporting issues.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16
I just went to my service appointment today. One of the items on the issues list was the yellow screen. The service adviser told me "we'll order the part for you", when I asked when it will be available, I was told "we don't know, we're waiting for a part which we are sure won't yellow". I pushed for "when is it expected to be available" I got "you're now on the list, once it starts shipping you'll get according to your place on the list". I asked what place on the list am I, and when it's it's expected to ship - they don't know, but when I mentioned that I read Tesla has been trying to solve it for 2 years now, she did say "it won't take two years, but if it bleed into a year that's ok" WTF? The tech I spoke to on the side while waiting (it took 2hrs and 25 minutes to drop my car off, quick diagnosis on another issue, then to get a crappy rental car, but that's an Elon-style, deteriorating by the hour, service experience for another thread) told me the story of a magic light/heat machine. He also mentioned it apparently is a very common problem everywhere, except in places like Arizona for some reason (theory is the heat cures the screen before it goes yellow?). Based on what I heard, even if there is a list, it's a long one (thousands of cars), unless I get on a list in Arizona.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Inside
We know it is a defect.

More importantly Tesla has admitted this being a defect because they have replaced screens to address this defect. After treating the defective yellow screens as a defect, they can't claim the defect is no longer a defect, because they have in the past fixed this defect.

This is part of an email I received from Tesla Legal a few days ago:

We recently learned the genesis of the issue from the supplier so that’s why we’ve changed course on our position re warranty coverage. Our warranty language remains the same, and now we’ve determined from our supplier that the issue falls under an exclusion and therefore it is excluded from the warranty. The fact that we previously did not know that and thus previously replaced some touchscreens doesn’t change that.

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy
LMFAO. If this is a legit response, it is truly special.

What exclusion is that exactly? And although this revelation came at least a few days ago, they have not yet told their service centers since even today they are giving different explanations...seems odd.

The exclusion would probably be for automotive use and it is irrelevant if their supplier has an exclusion on the warranty, that is Tesla’s problem, not ours.