Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free FSD for 1 Month

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CRAP!

I really doubt I would be enthusiastic enough after a month trial to pay for FSD, but timing could not be worse.

Was this tied to the software update I just did, and if I had waited to do the update until I returned from my trip would I have gotten a month free trial of FSD in May? As is, I will test it out for a few day and then fly out of the country. In total I will get about a week of driving out of my 1 month trial.

Keith

Tried it the last two days and just turned it off. Drives me nuts how it refuses to stay in the righthand lane, even when there is more traffic a lane over. The final straw was when I was coming up to a red light at an intersection (just me, two lanes in each direction), it insists that it wants to move to the left hand lane even though I'll be needing to turn right in the next block. No one in front of me and still it hates being in the "slow" lane. Between that, the stopping WAY before the limit lines, the seemingly refusal to turn right on a red (maybe it eventually will do this after getting honked at by people behind me?? I gave up waiting to see), the inconsistent ways it turns right, etc, not worth my time and definitely not worth any amount of money.

BTW, version 11.1. Maybe 12 is better but if this is how Tesla is trying to get more people to buy FSD(supervised), it's a pretty dumb move to do the 30 day trials with inferior SW.

• Informative
Reactions: ChuckM3P and KenC
Tried it the last two days and just turned it off. Drives me nuts how it refuses to stay in the righthand lane, even when there is more traffic a lane over. The final straw was when I was coming up to a red light at an intersection (just me, two lanes in each direction), it insists that it wants to move to the left hand lane even though I'll be needing to turn right in the next block. No one in front of me and still it hates being in the "slow" lane. Between that, the stopping WAY before the limit lines, the seemingly refusal to turn right on a red (maybe it eventually will do this after getting honked at by people behind me?? I gave up waiting to see), the inconsistent ways it turns right, etc, not worth my time and definitely not worth any amount of money.

BTW, version 11.1. Maybe 12 is better but if this is how Tesla is trying to get more people to buy FSD(supervised), it's a pretty dumb move to do the 30 day trials with inferior SW.
What, the version they're sending out is 11.1?!? Idiots! That version must be over a year old!

What, the version they're sending out is 11.1?!? Idiots! That version must be over a year old!
V11.1 is likely the UI software version not the FSD version (a common mistake by people unfamiliar with the differences). It's more helpful to post the actual full software version.

Here's an example from a quick Google. The FSD version is not the V11.1, it's the number under FSD (V12.3.3 in this case). Or just post 2024.3.10 and there is no confusion.
fsd-supervised.jpg

I really wish they had given you an option to choose when to activate it.
I have a road trip just after my trail expires where I would love to see how it does.

Sometime, when I get a software update, I prefer to wait until I complete my trip
and I am back at home. in case there would be a problem with the update and I could be stranded.

I wonder then, for the FSD trail, if you will need to click and to agree
to some kind of agreement before you can start using it?

So I wonder if you can just ignore it until you decide using FSD?
But it might be annoying to see some pop up everytime you start your car?

Is there any starting date and expiration date listed?
I imagine that if you are travelling and no driving for a while,
it would be stupid to see that your FSD trail already expired
before you could be able to use it?

More info: Version 12.3.3 and it sucks pretty bad. If this is an improvement over v11 then you people using 11 were risking your own lives and the lives of other commuters!

It wants to camp out in the fast lane, unless of course I am in the slow lane and come up behind a car going 10 mph slower than me. In that case it slows down rather than changing lanes and passing the slower car. On my morning commute it complains every couple minutes about the side cameras being occluded... they are occluded by the EARTH being between the sun and the car (we call this nighttime driving). With standard auto pilot I "set it and forget it" and only have to take action at intersections, or when passing slower traffic. With FSD, I still have to take action to pass slower traffic, and take action to switch back to the slow lane when it tries to camp out in the fast lane, and I have to actually pay more attention at intersections (prepared to take over if it screws up) than I would without FSD.

The ONLY thing I like are the improved visualization, and that the 5 mph over the posted limit restriction is removed when using FSD, so I can actually not hold up traffic while using auto pilot on two lane roads.

Keith

PS: I have never understood the "we only use half the cameras for standard AP" idea. For safety shouldn't it use all cameras all the time and just software limit non-safety related functions?

After two days of using the freee FSD, I was moderately impressed. It worked well on the interstate. As I approached a car ahead of me in my lane, the moment my speed dropped by 1 MPH, it would turn on the car's blinker and move into the left lane to pass. It handled 5 different roundabouts perfectly. It stopped at crosswalks for pedestrians. But somehow, when making one particular left hand turn near my house, it would consistently turn into that street's oncoming lane. Final notes: I sort of liked it and would use it occasionally if I had it, but it is definitely not worth the money Tesla is charging for it. TACC and auto steer are enough for me. I wouldn't order FSD unless I could subscribe to it and pay no more than $10 a month

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
More info: Version 12.3.3 and it sucks pretty bad. If this is an improvement over v11 then you people using 11 were risking your own lives and the lives of other commuters!

It wants to camp out in the fast lane, unless of course I am in the slow lane and come up behind a car going 10 mph slower than me. In that case it slows down rather than changing lanes and passing the slower car. On my morning commute it complains every couple minutes about the side cameras being occluded... they are occluded by the EARTH being between the sun and the car (we call this nighttime driving). With standard auto pilot I "set it and forget it" and only have to take action at intersections, or when passing slower traffic. With FSD, I still have to take action to pass slower traffic, and take action to switch back to the slow lane when it tries to camp out in the fast lane, and I have to actually pay more attention at intersections (prepared to take over if it screws up) than I would without FSD.

The ONLY thing I like are the improved visualization, and that the 5 mph over the posted limit restriction is removed when using FSD, so I can actually not hold up traffic while using auto pilot on two lane roads.

Keith

PS: I have never understood the "we only use half the cameras for standard AP" idea. For safety shouldn't it use all cameras all the time and just software limit non-safety related functions?

agreed. FSD makes stressful driving even more stressful as it doesnt lighten your workload and instead you have to constantly supervise it at prevent from doing things a human driver wouldn't/shouldn't be doing (...) like camping in the fast lane or sitting behind a slow car with no real attempt to overtake or take turns so tight you nearly hit the curb.

Reactions: Shelburne
V11.1 is likely the UI software version not the FSD version (a common mistake by people unfamiliar with the differences). It's more helpful to post the actual full software version.

Here's an example from a quick Google. The FSD version is not the V11.1, it's the number under FSD (V12.3.3 in this case). Or just post 2024.3.10 and there is no confusion.
fsd-supervised.jpg

The issue is that FSD compatible cars without FSD paid for (either sub or having paid $$$$$) do not have the Full Self-Driving (Supervised) Software line.

They will see it when they pay, but until then, they don't know what version they are subscribing to.

It happens that Hell'sKitchen took the financial hit for the team yesterday. He was stuck on 2024.8.7 which no tesla software tracking service identifies the FSD version (even after 2 weeks.) By subscribing he learned he has FSDb V11.4.9 on his car. But until he subscribed, it appeared that his vehicle did not have any FSDb capability (which he knew was false as he had subscribed in the past.)

I'm quite pleased on the free trial!

So I only subscribe 30 days at a time, when a good update comes I try again just to have fun with FSDb.. I happen to be on a current 'subscribed' cycle, so I thought I may lose out on the free trial since I'm already in-the-loop. Turns out, I got the trial and it begins on the day my current subscription ends! So I'll be getting a bonus month after all

PS - I really don't have much real-world use for FSD, as I do love love to drive. But I love to watch the development, and critique the car as if it's a real personality (often sending recordings to Tesla as needed). Once FSD is no longer needing supervision, that'll be a different story. I do enjoy the idea of reading or otherwise not paying attention whatsoever, while on long trips. I'm sure we're some years away from that kind of level of trust, and legislature..

PPS - FSDb is now FSD (Supervised). The FSD 12 cycle is PHENOMENAL.. I'm shocked, genuinely, as to how much better it is than FSDb 11. I use auto-speed setting and find feathering the energy pedal to pick it up a bit works PERFECTLY well, and encourages the Tesla to keep up nicely (feather up to the better speed, then let go.. it tends to hold the faster setting) .. but beware lights turning yellow. The Tesla at this point would rather abruptly stop then cruise through a legal turning yellow light..