Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Return of the Yellow Border

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my screen replaced about 4 years ago under warranty. I waited maybe 9 months to get this screen that supposedly would not have the problem. A year later I had MCU2 installed, and I'm not sure if they replaced the screen or not, but either way this had the newer screen "without the problem" per Tesla.

Today the yellow border came back. It seems a bit more subdued than before but a bit wider. Maybe two inches wide instead of one. Its really not visible at all in dark mode at all unless you bring up one of the menus.

Anyone else seen it come back, and can they still treat it with the UV lamp, or do I need a new screen?

I had my screen replaced about 4 years ago under warranty. I waited maybe 9 months to get this screen that supposedly would not have the problem. A year later I had MCU2 installed, and I'm not sure if they replaced the screen or not, but either way this had the newer screen "without the problem" per Tesla.

Today the yellow border came back. It seems a bit more subdued than before but a bit wider. Maybe two inches wide instead of one. Its really not visible at all in dark mode at all unless you bring up one of the menus.

Anyone else seen it come back, and can they still treat it with the UV lamp, or do I need a new screen?
Me. er. Me too. I was one of the first to get MCU2 - that was Mar '20. And yes, the yellow border has returned on mine too.
I reached out to my bud, Teslatap and he has some experience with this. He fixed his and can fix it again if needed. And he did it for just a little more than $20. Take a look at his article on the Yellow Border Screen Fix.
I intend to try this on mine, particularly since its $20ish.

And if you are comfortable, there's a new 17" screen (screen only) on Amazon for $399.

I owed an update about this. Bottom line: Worked. Made a big different. Screen looks brand new. Well worth twice/thrice the cost of the lamp. I bought two of the lamps that show in the Teslatap.com article. I want to make sure its understood. I left these lamps plugged in and 4" from the screen for 24 hours EACH time. Each time I re-positioned them, I left them 24 hours.
I taped them together so the lamps are end to end. Then I used them on my screen. First used them across the bottom. that covered the bottom half of the screen. Then, because there were two bunted together, the gear shift lever would not allow graceful coverage of left lamp across screen. So, I turned them longways to match the screen. Turned on for 24 hours. Longways, the two lamps are not wide enough to cover the width of the screen. So, I had a final session of 24 hours with the lamps longways just along the left side of the screen. So, total - three sessions 24 hours each.
Nice being able to do this at home, at my leisure. and not pressed for time. Nice to have the lamps in case needed again. Well worth the $23-$46 for one or two lamps. Highly recommend.
For more over all instructions, refer to the link of Teslatap.com in my Post #3

Reactions: 1speed
For more over all instructions, refer to the link of Teslatap.com in my Post #3
Nice to see there are some good copies out there of my work. 👍🏻

Reactions: 1speed