Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow Border

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is not an obligation. Manufacturers are allowed to improve their vehicles without doing retrofits on the entire fleet, and Tesla is no exception. Their obligations are to keep the screen functional (and obviously to get rid of the yellow bands for aesthetic reasons to improve customer satisfaction.)

Some people report that the screen's functionality is impaired, so Tesla must do something, but you're not entitled to decide what they do.

They have an obligation to make sure the MCU display is physically clear with no yellow border.

If someone has trouble reading the screen because of the yellow border, then the functionality is indeed impaired.

And even if something is only aesthetic, it should still be fixed under warranty. What if white seats start yellowing out in certain areas after barely a few months of use. Any reasonable person would consider that a defect to be fixed under warranty.

Talked again in depth here to the mobile service guy; who's here right now; they aren't budging on this position, and he did confirm this was due to cost cutting edicts from the top down.

Line item cost of the screen is $1100. With $189 labor it comes to $1289, with tax, in the neighborhood of $1350 depending on where you are.

So I am probably going forward with it; even though I really feel they should not be charging me for it, at this point its likely "get it resolved today" or fight with an indefinite status.

Mobile tech says that I'm the first one he's seen doing customer pay for this screen, which is, yes, supposed to be the non-yellowing version.

Talked again in depth here to the mobile service guy; who's here right now; they aren't budging on this position, and he did confirm this was due to cost cutting edicts from the top down.

Line item cost of the screen is $1100. With $189 labor it comes to $1289, with tax, in the neighborhood of $1350 depending on where you are.

So I am probably going forward with it; even though I really feel they should not be charging me for it, at this point its likely "get it resolved today" or fight with an indefinite status.

Mobile tech says that I'm the first one he's seen doing customer pay for this screen, which is, yes, supposed to be the non-yellowing version.
You should have them put in writing that if the new screen yellows, they will absolutely, positively, have to pay for the replacement.

Based on the history of decision making with Tesla, if they have a good quarter financially they are likely to do a u-turn and start replacing them for free again (eg, free supercharging is back for now).

I can understand them wanting to control expenses for a quarter or two but their blanket policy of not honoring warranty repairs for an obvious defect will not end in their favor.

If they have a solution that will fix it, i am ok with that solution over replacing it the entire screen.
I am not OK with them just shafting us and telling us we have to live with the boarders tho.
The yellow when it glares against the sun is very obvious and very annoying.

So if the fix works, then im fine with it.
If they ignore us, i am not, and i will be one of the first people to sign that class action law suit.

If they have a solution that will fix it, i am ok with that solution over replacing it the entire screen.
I am not OK with them just shafting us and telling us we have to live with the boarders tho.
The yellow when it glares against the sun is very obvious and very annoying.

So if the fix works, then im fine with it.
If they ignore us, i am not, and i will be one of the first people to sign that class action law suit.

I agree with you and I too am okay with waiting a bit but I need some assurance of a hardware solution that physically removes the yellowed border of the display.

If you decide to take legal action, a far easier outcome would likely be small claims court.

It should be very straightforward to show this is a defect that should be addressed by the warranty.

If a black dashboard suddenly turns yellow in places due to a manufacturing defect, would that not be covered under the warranty? Of course it would be. Any notion that this is not a warranty repair because the screen can show content is nonsense.

I can understand them wanting to control expenses for a quarter or two but their blanket policy of not honoring warranty repairs for an obvious defect will not end in their favor.
Funny you should say that, Elon even tried that on Tesla suppliers in the past, expecting them to pay for part of what Tesla owed them. After all, Elon's mission is bigger than measly money.

• Disagree
Reactions: AMPd and MP3Mike
That is not an obligation. Manufacturers are allowed to improve their vehicles without doing retrofits on the entire fleet, and Tesla is no exception. ...
Just experienced this on our 2016 Chevrolet Volt. It has a bogus msg about not being in Park when all other indicators show you are in Park. Car won't shut off. Cost me over $450 to get a shift assembly replaced a couple weeks back. Took them 2 tries as they put in a broken part then called and said it will take another day as they wait for another part.

GM even had a service bulletin on it to fix cars in their inventory. Well known issue on some years of Volts, Malibus and perhaps otehrs.

43940 - Brake Transmission Shift Interlock (BTSI) - Transmission Won’t Shift Out of Park - 2016 Chevrolet Malibu & 2016-2017 Chevrolet Volt

n3MywDW.jpg

&
fy0YhyH.jpg

sigh.. i am having a problem with my DRL. The eyebrow, on our head lights.
Seems like i blew out a led inside so its uneven.

I am worried about if i should get it replaced NOW, or should wait until a fix for my screen comes so i can do them both at the same time.
But seeing how this thread goes, i am really leaning on getting it replaced ASAP, because i feel tesla will pull another BS saying that DRL failing is a cosmetic issue and charge me for a new headlight assembly.

You guys should check your headlights as well. It seems its another common big issue like the yellow boarders on our screens.
Late 2016 / Early 2017 S Owners: How Are Your Daytime Running Lights Holding Up?

We are calling it Schrödinger's Headlights, as you are not aware that its blown until you actually look.

Reactions: Gt1948
In my mind, this very much devalues the 4yr extended service agreements. Hard to say what if anything they would cover, so best to self-insure at this point. Luckily they are fully refundable until 4yr/50K. I will now be asking for my refund of $4800 and using $1300 of it once I am convinced the yellow fix is long lasting.

Re
Im really curious to see if the new screens will really hold up.

This is Tesla were talking about.
They never get stuff right the first time around.

Lucky for me my car is still new, so i can afford to wait a year unless the yellow band gets terribly bad, to have you guys beta test the new screens.
Anyhow im really thinking a class action law suit will most definitely happen, especially in the state of California.
Us Californians are entitled SOB's so this is most definitely an entitlement issue from both Tesla Vs Owner.
Respectfully disagree. Tesla has no higher failure rate than everyone else. They're just 1) under the microscope 2)doing things no one has risked doing before. And as stated elsewhere, if I were to add up to all my gains in the 100+ class actions I have been a part, it might add up to $500. Most commonly I get a sticker and a tiny discount on a future purchase, which I have never used. Only the lawyers do well with class actions.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16
In my mind, this very much devalues the 4yr extended service agreements. Hard to say what if anything they would cover, so best to self-insure at this point. Luckily they are fully refundable until 4yr/50K. I will now be asking for my refund of $4800 and using $1300 of it once I am convinced the yellow fix is long lasting.
Another issue is what if the screen you pay for gets the yellow ring after 6 months?
If originally it wasn’t covered under warranty then are you on the hook to pay again for a replacement?

I understand tesla is trying to cut costs but I feel like this issue will cost them more in the long run in lost sales and loss of loyal customers.
You just can’t treat your customers this way and expect them to want to buy your car again

According to https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...sories-body-repair-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf the warranty on the microcontroller and the touchscreen is 4 years if you pay for the part. If it is replaced under warranty, it is covered for the remainder of the original (car) warranty or 90 days, whichever is longer.

Coverage Period
This Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty begins on the Part(s)’ purchase date and coverage extends for the period of 12 months. Specific categories of parts have unique warranty coverage periods as outlined in the table below:
Sheet Metal
Limited Lifetime
Drive Unit*
4 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 km), whichever comes first
Vehicle High Voltage Battery*
Wall Connector
4 years
Touchscreen and Microcontroller
4 years
*Excludes the Tesla Roadster which has a warranty of 2 years or 25,000 miles (40,000 km), whichever comes first.
Labor Coverage
If the Part was installed by Tesla, this Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty also covers any labor charges to repair or replace the covered Part.
Tesla will not cover any labor charges or costs associated with work performed by any non- approved third-party vendor, including power wall installers and certified technicians.

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
According to https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...sories-body-repair-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf the warranty on the microcontroller and the touchscreen is 4 years if you pay for the part. If it is replaced under warranty, it is covered for the remainder of the original (car) warranty or 90 days, whichever is longer.

Coverage Period
This Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty begins on the Part(s)’ purchase date and coverage extends for the period of 12 months. Specific categories of parts have unique warranty coverage periods as outlined in the table below:
Sheet Metal
Limited Lifetime
Drive Unit*
Vehicle High Voltage Battery*
Wall Connector
4 years
Touchscreen and Microcontroller
4 years
*Excludes the Tesla Roadster which has a warranty of 2 years or 25,000 miles (40,000 km), whichever comes first.
Labor Coverage
If the Part was installed by Tesla, this Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty also covers any labor charges to repair or replace the covered Part.
Tesla will not cover any labor charges or costs associated with work performed by any non- approved third-party vendor, including power wall installers and certified technicians.
That’s great and all but if tesla is not honoring the original vehicle warranty, why would they honor this warranty?
If they are saying it’s a cosmetic issue and not covered under warranty, wouldn’t they say that the next time even if you had paid for it?

Reactions: Dan Baldwin