Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow Border

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was away for a week and my car was in the driveway; in that time the yellowing got a lot worse, but also just time seems to do it. Much of my yellowing occurred in the cold Colorado winter where the car never really got warm. Other people have said they've had them yellow while garaged for several months.

There's really no pattern to it, it seems. But just as a safety measure, since it seems that Tesla will never actually address this, (I may pay to have the screen replaced tomorrow when mobile service arrives to repair the MCU bezel they damaged at the last service) - I've been putting a towel over my screen when it's in the driveway.

You know, a reasonable thing that car owners should have to do.

The car's pretty new and I should be getting tint soon, but I'm between choosing this month getting tint and paying out of pocket for the new screen.

(Every reasonable Tesla owner knows that getting tint should be required to protect the LCD screen. This is obvious, and if you choose to not tint then any damage to the screen is your responsibility.) (The preceeding was sarcasm.)

I have tint, my car is garaged, but I also have the yellow border. Tint won't help.

Im really curious to see if the new screens will really hold up.

This is Tesla were talking about.
They never get stuff right the first time around.

Lucky for me my car is still new, so i can afford to wait a year unless the yellow band gets terribly bad, to have you guys beta test the new screens.
Anyhow im really thinking a class action law suit will most definitely happen, especially in the state of California.
Us Californians are entitled SOB's so this is most definitely an entitlement issue from both Tesla Vs Owner.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
If anyone ends up having to pay to get the defective display fixed, which should be fixed under warranty to match a non-defective display that is shipped currently in cars, it should be very easy to get those funds back in small claims court.

Well after tomorrow, that'll be me. Though I can't see it being 'very easy' to get funds back in court unless you happen to be a lawyer. (I'm not.)

From what I understand the screen I am buying is the same one that youtube influencers are receiving. So if it yellows too, after I pay for it, (I'm guessing I'll have no recourse there since they've told me they won't warranty it) - I'll report back here so that nothing can continue to happen 6 months to a year from now.

To be fair, it's the 5th time around. The Pre-Mid-2016 models had two revisions, -A and -B, (leaking and non-leaking) and the post-mid-2016 models have had three revisions, a different part number followed -A, -B and -C. (-A and -B have a warmer colored backlight, less reflective glass, and one or both of these may yellow.)

Lucky for me my car is still new, so i can afford to wait a year unless the yellow band gets terribly bad, to have you guys beta test the new screens.

Or there may not even be an option to pay for a replacement and we may be stuck with lotions and flashlights. Or a really big fat bezel. I really would absolutely be non-shocked if there were to suddenly announce this option.

Anyhow im really thinking a class action law suit will most definitely happen, especially in the state of California.
Us Californians are entitled SOB's so this is most definitely an entitlement issue from both Tesla Vs Owner.

Guessing those of us outside of California will be SOL and this will never be resolved without a cost. Class actions rarely get much for the class, anyways. Maybe we'll receive a voucher for $500 off our next Tesla.. (heh...) or something. Free floor mats!!! 250 miles of supercharging.

Well after tomorrow, that'll be me. Though I can't see it being 'very easy' to get funds back in court unless you happen to be a lawyer. (I'm not.)

From what I understand the screen I am buying is the same one that youtube influencers are receiving. So if it yellows too, after I pay for it, (I'm guessing I'll have no recourse there since they've told me they won't warranty it) - I'll report back here so that nothing can continue to happen 6 months to a year from now.

To be fair, it's the 5th time around. The Pre-Mid-2016 models had two revisions, -A and -B, (leaking and non-leaking) and the post-mid-2016 models have had three revisions, a different part number followed -A, -B and -C. (-A and -B have a warmer colored backlight, less reflective glass, and one or both of these may yellow.)

Or there may not even be an option to pay for a replacement and we may be stuck with lotions and flashlights. Or a really big fat bezel. I really would absolutely be non-shocked if there were to suddenly announce this option.

Guessing those of us outside of California will be SOL and this will never be resolved without a cost. Class actions rarely get much for the class, anyways. Maybe we'll receive a voucher for $500 off our next Tesla.. (heh...) or something. Free floor mats!!! 250 miles of supercharging.

Let us know what you decide to do.

I can't imagine any rational excuse that holds any water for not honoring a warranty fix when they are shipping cars with screens that don't have yellow border. Our yellow border makes it hard to read some of the screen contents :(

• Love
Reactions: yak-55
MCU screens, rattling air-suspension and shruddering drive axiles. Anyrhing else I forgot?

These need to be fixed. No questions asked. If Tesla wants to scale.

P.S. Fanboys get the benefit of enjoying all this staying as is and even getting worse. Boom! Time to get the "benefits". ;)

Last edited:
Do they? "lol, no, sucks to be you" seems to be a satisfactory response so far; they do claim that the new screens don't yellow, but you have to pay for them.

So, there is a fix, it's just expensive.

I had no idea that Tesla could just selectively and dynamically decide what's in warranty and what isn't, but I guess they can! I've even read over the warranty repeatedly which sure seems to make me think that a screen with defective workmanship or materials would be covered, but I guess each one of those words could be debated.

If I do decide to pay to get my screen replaced tomorrow, I fully expect the fanboys in this forum to thank me greatly for donating to The Cause, since I'm paying Tesla a profit for maintaining status-quo through no fault of my own on a <6 mo old vehicle.

But they probably won't, because I won't post a pic of me happily signing the check for the new screen and saying "Thanks, Elon!"
But that’s the point, we actually don’t know for sure if new revised screens really exist. One SC says they do and another says they don’t.

Reactions: croman
They're available, but you have to pay for them. $1345. Tesla no longer considers the yellow border a warranty issue. People are angry about this (including me) but that isn't changing Tesla's position on it.

I don't understand how its not a warranty issue - what is Tesla's explanation for this?

Do new cars come with the yellow band? If no, then its not normal, therefore its defective. Seems pretty cut and dry.

They're available, but you have to pay for them. $1345. Tesla no longer considers the yellow border a warranty issue. People are angry about this (including me) but that isn't changing Tesla's position on it.

If this is in fact the policy, I feel like the policy is one small claim court filing away from being changed after much embarrassment.

The position you state, if it is really the current position, is indefensible. I'm not sure how even the biggest Tesla fan would be okay with having a newly bought car under warranty with a discolored yellow LCD screen when the display is the main feature of the car's interior and UI.

They should really do the right thing and get ahead of this with a hardware fix before it ends up being a huge mess.

Reactions: Matias
If that logic is valid then the greatest damage would occur when the car is off and just sitting outside.

Different state of operation.

When an LCD is on, there is a light behind it that is used to illuminate the entire panel. To control the lightness/darkness/color, various elements of the display are altered to allow certain colors of light to pass through and at certain intensities. This is why LCD panels (such as in televisions) tend to be good at displaying white/bright things (let the light through) and struggle (relatively) with darker things (block as much of the light as possible). Think of it sort of like window blinds, which can be easily switched to "open" to let in basically all light, but even "closed" will still let some light pass. When the LCD is in "Night Mode"...it is attempting to block much more of the light to make the display dark/black.

When the LCD is off, the light is also off. There is no light to pass.

Different state of operation.

When an LCD is on, there is a light behind it that is used to illuminate the entire panel. To control the lightness/darkness/color, various elements of the display are altered to allow certain colors of light to pass through and at certain intensities. This is why LCD panels (such as in televisions) tend to be good at displaying white/bright things (let the light through) and struggle (relatively) with darker things (block as much of the light as possible). Think of it sort of like window blinds, which can be easily switched to "open" to let in basically all light, but even "closed" will still let some light pass. When the LCD is in "Night Mode"...it is attempting to block much more of the light to make the display dark/black.

When the LCD is off, the light is also off. There is no light to pass.
Yes, I realized later the poster was talking about the display being on and the night mode not allowing as much heat to escape as day mode might.

On first reading I thought he was talking about the black screen absorbing more heat generated from external sources. Although we can come up with logical ideas as to what’s causing the yellowing, to say with 100% certainty is still anyone’s guess.

BTW, as someone who’s passionate about video, your description of an LCD’s operation is precisely why I now only own OLEDs as my main TV displays. For serious viewing, there’s nothing like self-emissive displays with their pixel by pixel pinpoint precision, especially when the scenes are dark. I wish our Model S display was OLED. ;)

If this is in fact the policy, I feel like the policy is one small claim court filing away from being changed after much embarrassment.

The position you state, if it is really the current position, is indefensible. I'm not sure how even the biggest Tesla fan would be okay with having a newly bought car under warranty with a discolored yellow LCD screen when the display is the main feature of the car's interior and UI.

They should really do the right thing and get ahead of this with a hardware fix before it ends up being a huge mess.
Exactly.

Recently mine has deteriorated to the point where even in night mode it’s not a pretty sight. I’m shocked that Tesla hasn’t considered the negative PR aspect arising out of non-owners sitting in our cars and looking at these screens. “Wow, that’s what you get for spending that kind of money on a Tesla?”. If the situation was reversed, that would be my reaction.
It's unclear if the new screens fix the problem permanently
The problem is we don’t know if they’re ‘new new screens’ or ‘new old screens’. There’s so much BS flying around this issue, that each day the waters get more and more muddied.

Reactions: PhilDavid
which should be fixed under warranty to match a non-defective display that is shipped currently in cars,

That is not an obligation. Manufacturers are allowed to improve their vehicles without doing retrofits on the entire fleet, and Tesla is no exception. Their obligations are to keep the screen functional (and obviously to get rid of the yellow bands for aesthetic reasons to improve customer satisfaction.)

Some people report that the screen's functionality is impaired, so Tesla must do something, but you're not entitled to decide what they do.

This is typical Tesla, changing strategies on hourly bases while not communicating clearly (or at all) with anyone. So, the resulting information vacuum is filled by people going to the internet sharing their frustrating experiences and conflicting messages they got. Elon has a history with Tesla of just sticking his head in the sand and pretending an issue doesn't exist, hoping it just goes away counting on people not having sufficient determination to sue or otherwise force the issue.

Class action lawsuit in California may not cover the rest of the customers. Tesla got sued in Europe for the 691hp and settled out of court, but the same settlement (or any settlement) was never offered to any US customers, they'd have to sue separately.

That is not an obligation. Manufacturers are allowed to improve their vehicles without doing retrofits on the entire fleet, and Tesla is no exception. Their obligations are to keep the screen functional (and obviously to get rid of the yellow bands for aesthetic reasons to improve customer satisfaction.)

Some people report that the screen's functionality is impaired, so Tesla must do something, but you're not entitled to decide what they do.
You are right, they need to bring it back to original functionality, not the latest car functionality. However, it seems they are not doing anything, hence people will try to force their hand.

Reactions: PhilDavid