Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow Border

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2013 P85 (original owner). The original screen developed a long black line about a 1/2 inch from the left edge and started to drip a clear liquid. Tesla promptly replaced the screen with a new one. After a few months (November 2018), the replacement screen developed the yellow border band. I called Tesla and they had a mobile technician replace the screen on December 6. The replacement screen part number is SX-MCU SUB-ASY, SHIP. OGS DSPLY, RMN (1084333-00-A). I’ve had this screen for nearly 7 months with no yellow birder band issue. Anyone know whether the “A” screens are immune to the yellow border banding problem?

I have a 2013 P85 (original owner). The original screen developed a long black line about a 1/2 inch from the left edge and started to drip a clear liquid. Tesla promptly replaced the screen with a new one. After a few months (November 2018), the replacement screen developed the yellow border band. I called Tesla and they had a mobile technician replace the screen on December 6. The replacement screen part number is SX-MCU SUB-ASY, SHIP. OGS DSPLY, RMN (1084333-00-A). I’ve had this screen for nearly 7 months with no yellow birder band issue. Anyone know whether the “A” screens are immune to the yellow border banding problem?

My new replacement screen that was the “fixed” screen had a ‘d’ designator at the end.

Back in 2016, were they getting replaced?

Yes, the issue showed up again, but did they know at that time that it would?
Why does it matter if they knew? Either way they should be replacing the screens until they hit one which doesn't turn yellow. Since the entire fleet is not yellow, that means some parts are ok, so it's just a matter of swapping them. The better the part yield, the less replacements will be needed.

Reactions: PhilDavid
Why does it matter if they knew? Either way they should be replacing the screens until they hit one which doesn't turn yellow. Since the entire fleet is not yellow, that means some parts are ok, so it's just a matter of swapping them. The better the part yield, the less replacements will be needed.

They should repair/replace once they have a viable solution. Back in 2016, I think they were replacing them. But that is expensive if another option is available. I have the same issue with mine. Will see how this plays out.

They should repair/replace once they have a viable solution. Back in 2016, I think they were replacing them. But that is expensive if another option is available. I have the same issue with mine. Will see how this plays out.

The way Elon operates, is to ship untested parts and fix them later, as opposed to the traditional model of exhaustive testing before production. It does save him a lot of money and time to market, but it also comes with a risk of things costing to fix. Elon is very proud of this Sillicon Valley software model he is applying to hardware, and claims credit for whenever it works out, so he should own the failures too, and fix it now (not the famous "soon" or like the coast to coast FSD drive to happen by end of 2017). Heck, he got paid nearly $2.3B in 2018 (Elon Musk made more in 2018 than the next 65 highest-paid CEOs combined, according to a report), maybe he should cover it himself.

Reactions: P100D_Me
I don’t think that is accurate.

Twitter
I'm sorry, Elon provided no tangible data in the tweet you linked. In any case, it's somewhat tangential, my point was, Elon comes up with genius ideas, like using agile software method for hardware, she should own the failures, not push them onto the customers with "if you want a fix, you have to pay for it yourself".

Reactions: croman
I'm sorry, Elon provided no tangible data in the tweet you linked. In any case, it's somewhat tangential, my point was, Elon comes up with genius ideas, like using agile software method for hardware, she should own the failures, not push them onto the customers with "if you want a fix, you have to pay for it yourself".

Did you read what he replied to? I don’t think he had to provide any extra “tangible data”. He has been paid zero. Kind of a slight difference.

Will see how this plays out with the yellow border. I do agree that paying for the fix (if their UV fix doesn’t work), is a raw deal.

In regards to your other point, I wouldn’t go as far as saying that other manufacturers are more tested (as far as hardware). I have had several recalls for other vehicles over the years.

Teslas Software on the other hand should require more testing before being rolled out.

Last edited:
The way Elon operates, is to ship untested parts and fix them later, as opposed to the traditional model of exhaustive testing before production. It does save him a lot of money and time to market, but it also comes with a risk of things costing to fix.
Sadly from what I read on here that attitude exists on the production line as well, doors out of alignment, cracked roof, bubbles in the paint....no problem the service centre will fix that in between telling customers whatever operational issues they have will be fixed in the next software update.
I agree with what you said though, those risks definitely pay off for them in some instances but when it goes pear shaped they should be owning that as well.

I have no first hand knowledge, only that BI claims that (hence I linked it). As as I said above, this was not my main point. Even if BI's claims was "Elon style" and completely exaggerated, it doesnt affect my main point.

Uh.....ok.

Will see how this plays out with the yellow border. I do agree that paying for the fix (if their UV fix doesn’t work), is a raw deal.

In regards to your other point, I wouldn’t go as far as saying that other manufacturers are more tested (as far as hardware). I have had several recalls for other vehicles over the years.

Teslas Software on the other hand should require more testing before being rolled out.

Sadly from what I read on here that attitude exists on the production line as well, doors out of alignment, cracked roof, bubbles in the paint....no problem the service centre will fix that in between telling customers whatever operational issues they have will be fixed in the next software update.
I agree with what you said though, those risks definitely pay off for them in some instances but when it goes pear shaped they should be owning that as well.
The factory attitude comes from Elon too. When your metrics (car production volume) value quantity over quality, guess what, your workers will prioritize quantity.

Reactions: P100D_Me
Uh.....ok.

When Porsche was testing the Taycan, their test cars were spotted in snowy and freezing mountains, blistering hot desert, urban environments, etc. Model 3's first encounter with snow was by customers encountering frozen doors, chargers, windows, etc. Even driving in the rain was apparently new to Model 3, as some bumpers fell off in heavy rain, and nobody at Tesla realized that changing wiper speeds though multiple menu levels on the touch screen was not a great idea (AFAIK they fixed it by forcing the correct final menu screen up whenever you turn on the wiper stalk) - I guess it doesn't rain much in California. So, both software and hardware at Tesla follows the agile methodology. The problem with hardware is that fixes cost money to deploy per customer.

Last edited:
When Porsche was testing the Taycan, their test cars were spotted in snowy and freezing mountains, blistering hot desert, urban environments, etc. Model 3's first encounter with snow was by customers encountering frozen doors, chargers, windows, etc. Even driving in the rain was apparently new to Model 3, as some bumpers fell off in heavy rain, and nobody at Tesla realized that changing wiper speeds though multiple menu levels on the touch screen was not a great idea (AFAIK they fixed it by forcing the correct final menu screen up whenever you turn on the wiper stalk) - I guess it doesn't rain much in California. So, both software and hardware at Tesla follows the agile methodology. The problem with hardware is that fixes cost money to deploy per customer.

This is the only reference I could find testing the Model 3 in winter conditions. Albeit a bit late for the “early” adopters.

https://electrek.co/2017/07/28/tesla-model-3-spotted-testing-snow-new-zealand/

Tesla does have this facility. I don’t know when they started testing the 3.

Tesla's Winter Testing Facility In Alaska Is Pretty Incredible

• Informative
Reactions: EarlyAdopter
This is the only reference I could find testing the Model 3 in winter conditions. Albeit a bit late for the “early” adopters.

https://electrek.co/2017/07/28/tesla-model-3-spotted-testing-snow-new-zealand/

Tesla does have this facility. I don’t know when they started testing the 3.

Tesla's Winter Testing Facility In Alaska Is Pretty Incredible
Well, if they did test them, why didn't they catch and fix the problems that the first M3's encountered? Or is that they tested, found the problems, but decided to ship it without fixing them?

Don’t know. I’d only be guessing.
Exactly. Regardless of test facilities they may have, what matters is the results. Which brings us full circle, back to screens are deteriorating and Tesla decided it's the customer's responsibility to pay for the fix, or wait for someday, maybe, possibly, only if they can make it cheap like a software fix, the customer (or one of the subsequent owners of the car) might get some, possibly partial, fix for free.

Reactions: croman