Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow Border

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla coming tomorrow to replace mine. They are 3.5 hours away doing a mobile service call. I'll update tomorrow with what happened.

Maybe you'll be one of the completely random lucky ones. These screens can't cost Tesla that much. This isn't 1995 where an LCD costs thousands.

If you want to talk cutting off your nose to spite your face, it's saving small amounts while p*ing off customers who have obviously committed a lot to your product and model.

Maybe you'll be one of the completely random lucky ones. These screens can't cost Tesla that much. This isn't 1995 where an LCD costs thousands.

If you want to talk cutting off your nose to spite your face, it's saving small amounts while p*ing off customers who have obviously committed a lot to your product and model.

Very conservatively, $500 a pop parts and labor times 100,000 cars is $50 million bucks. To fix a minor cosmetic issue.

Like it or not, that’s a terrible decision for a company teetering on the edge.

Totally, why focus on sales when you can instead spend $50 million you don’t have on a minor issue that has no impact to core functionality?

I do think Tesla needs to correct that border issue. Especially when under warranty. But if the UV fix works for years until the next mobile visit, I’d be fine with that.

The software fix to cancel out the color does seem like a silly option.

So they told me they would for months. Then told me they wouldn't, then the SC told me "we got one of the new screens for you" - then today, minutes ago, they called me back and said nope, it'll just be a "software fix". Which is a lie.

So as of today, they aren't doing replacement, at least for me, after going back and forth on it several times.

Other people saying UV: that's "temporary". What, a week? Hell, I think UV is *causing it*.

I'm about to get profane here so I'll just step away and let the fanboys believe that a "software fix" will be able to fix physical defects in adhesive.

Temporary in that they "age" the rest of the screen to be the same color then they tweak the software in the screen driver to add the inverse to the entire screen :rolleyes:

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
It would be funny (in a sad way) if the "software" fix was to add a blue border to the screen cancelling out the yellow color. Then people without the yellow border start complaining about a blue one.

You laugh, but other product manufactures that make devices with OLED have done exactly this where they take a picture of the screen with a calibration image and the produce a mask for the graphics driver that has precisely the inverse at each pixel they want to "software correct".

• Love
Reactions: Electroman
You laugh, but other product manufactures that make devices with OLED have done exactly this where they take a picture of the screen with a calibration image and the produce a mask for the graphics driver that has precisely the inverse at each pixel they want to "software correct".

The yellowing is visible when the car is off. The yellowing is *reflective* in the daytime. It's only transmissive at night. So yeah. I laugh.

I wonder if this is one of the "cost cutting" elements elon wrote to all Tesla staff? He said all departments have a couple weeks to account for every $ spent. Maybe the president of service decided he could save a sh*tpile of money by not replacing the screens for people.
Lucky for me my 2 AP1 cars are unaffected. I would be livid if I was. I'm really anal about stuff not being right on my cars though.

Is this true or a joke?

It looks like that's how it would have to work. The material in the screen is organic and likely decaying for some reason; (backlight heat, external UV, etc.). So the only way to really "heal" it visibly, and what sounds right (putting together everything we've heard; a 'software fix', a 'UV fix', - this approach would combine both) - would be to essentially apply a lot of UV to the screen to yellow the whole thing.

Then, add a blue cast to the displayed image to counter the yellowness.

This would come at the cost of brightness and contrast pretty significantly, and clarity during the day since the yellowing is reflective.

So no, it's not a joke.

• Informative
Reactions: Matias
It looks like that's how it would have to work. The material in the screen is organic and likely decaying for some reason; (backlight heat, external UV, etc.). So the only way to really "heal" it visibly, and what sounds right (putting together everything we've heard; a 'software fix', a 'UV fix', - this approach would combine both) - would be to essentially apply a lot of UV to the screen to yellow the whole thing.

Then, add a blue cast to the displayed image to counter the yellowness.

This would come at the cost of brightness and contrast pretty significantly, and clarity during the day since the yellowing is reflective.

So no, it's not a joke.

Doesn't jive with the story that the process may need to be repeated. So the screen keeps getting more and more yellow?

I'm curious if anyone who always runs their screen in night mode has encountered any yellow banding. Asking, as I only operate my screen in night mode to aesthetically match the rest of the black dash interior, and no issues after 50,000 miles on my 2016 Model S.

Doesn't jive with the story that the process may need to be repeated. So the screen keeps getting more and more yellow?

Well it would seem that way. This starts at the edges and works its way in, and seems to get darker over time. If UV could make the adhesive clear again, though, the sun would fix it.

But either way this is a bad precedent. Does the 4 yr / 50k warranty only cover "safety issues" now? Where's the line drawn, and is it going to keep moving? The warranty states 'defects' and 'workmanship' - Can they even do that? (I guess they can.)

• Love
Reactions: croman
Yeah let's save 50 million to lose your primary advertising avenue and future customer base, the owners.

Decisions that impact the future are irrelevant if the company doesn’t exist.

I also fundamentally disagree with your perspective that this will have broad sustained impact on future sales and brand loyalty and attribute it to forum-induced hyperbole. I’d wager that there are many owners with yellowed screens that haven’t noticed and probably never will unless someone points it out to them. An even larger proportion has noticed and views it as a minor annoyance that they’ve already moved on from. A small minority with vocal representation here are the pearl-clutching set that cant believe they’ve been so horribly wronged by a soulless company that just can’t understand the psychological and emotional distress this defect has caused their delicate psyche. Those folks will never be happy - it’s poor business to make decisions to the detriment of the company to try and keep them pleased.

Decisions that impact the future are irrelevant if the company doesn’t exist.

I also fundamentally disagree with your perspective that this will have broad sustained impact on future sales and brand loyalty and attribute it to forum-induced hyperbole. I’d wager that there are many owners with yellowed screens that haven’t noticed and probably never will unless someone points it out to them. An even larger proportion has noticed and views it as a minor annoyance that they’ve already moved on from. A small minority with vocal representation here are the pearl-clutching set that cant believe they’ve been so horribly wronged by a soulless company that just can’t understand the psychological and emotional distress this defect has caused their delicate psyche. Those folks will never be happy - it’s poor business to make decisions to the detriment of the company to try and keep them pleased.

And then there's the set of people who think it's *perfectly fine* for a the primary display in a brand new car to go sh*t brown-yellow in 90 days and everyone who has a problem with it should shut up, because it's not a problem that bothers ~you~, and feels that purchasing a Tesla should be a tithe to a company's long-term vision, come what may.

You just said that if anyone at all has a problem with their screen yellowing, they're the exceptional minority, and they're being unreasonable and have psychological problems. I take it you'll stand by that assertion. That's one hell of an accusation.

That'd also stand to reason that you feel that if you buy a car, something like this should be expected to happen (again in my case within 90 days) - and considered normal and reasonable.

So what isn't "pearl clutching" to you. Give us your list of acceptable warranty claims, professor.

Last edited:
And then there's the set of people who think it's *perfectly fine* for a the primary display in a brand new car to go sh*t brown-yellow in 90 days and everyone who has a problem with it should shut up, because it's not a problem that bothers ~you~, and feels that purchasing a Tesla should be a tithe to a company's long-term vision, come what may.

So what isn't "pearl clutching" to you. Give us your list of acceptable warranty claims, oh great one who's above it all.

I don’t think it’s acceptable to leave as-is. I think they’re working on a financially viable solution and should be given the time to develop it, even if it’s not perfect in the end.

I also don’t think it’s necessary for purchases to be considered a tithe, or that inexcusable service and communications should be excused. My post history should speak pretty strongly to that point. But I’m also a pragmatist - I’d rather have a yellow screen and a company that is still in existence in 5 years to support the rest of the car than a crystal white panel that I’m completely on my own with.

I’m not intending to be hyperbolic. I really do believe Tesla as a company is on the brink of existence as we know it and that is going to mean some hard decisions in the short term.