Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X announcement on Stephen Colbert?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You guys are really bored tonight, aren't you :). Imaginations are running wild!

unicorn balloon.png

Elon arriving on set in a Model X and having the falcon doors open would certainly wow the world. Anything less would be a big missed opportunity.

Okay, we've all had our fun and now everyone can stop dreaming...
Elon Musk will not show the Model-X on TV for the following reasons:
1.) He is a control freak and wants to reveal the X in his own way without any TV producer getting in the way with his/her own ideas
2.) He wants to dedicate enough time to the Model-X, rather than the pre-determined slice he is currently allocated
3.) He wants to broadcast information on the Model-X, rather than have a question & answer session typical on this type of talk show
4.) He wants to reveal the Model-X when first deliveries occur, which will be many weeks after Sept 9th
5.) He wants to reveal the Model-X in front of a reliable, friendly, fan-based audience (e.g. employees, reservation holders), not a TV studio audience
6.) He wants to control the web-cast of the session, rather than be at the whim of the TV studios

He'll probably have an event similar to the Model-S first delivery event.

- - - Updated - - -

Or what Bonnie said with a lovely picture. Probably more concise than my rantings. :)

I agree. This is a tremendous opportunity to showcase Tesla's product to millions of people. This is a rare opportunity and Elon should make the most of it.

He's only going to get a few minutes on Colbert. A reveal would be more like half an hour or more.

You wouldn't squander the chance to control the message to pop a reveal on someone else's show.

Might be that they know they'll have revealed by then and he'll bring one on though... that's something you could do in 5 minutes.

I would not rule out showing the Model X on Colbert, but only if there has already been a public release of information on it. What surprises me is how many people have already ruled out a Design Studio release before the end of this month as Elon said at the earnings call. There's still a full week for that to happen before we know for sure it won't.

He's only going to get a few minutes on Colbert. A reveal would be more like half an hour or more.

You wouldn't squander the chance to control the message to pop a reveal on someone else's show.

Might be that they know they'll have revealed by then and he'll bring one on though... that's something you could do in 5 minutes.

I think your guess is the most likely one. That's what I meant by showcase the product. Tesla always does their full reveal at their own parties.

It's obvious what's going to happen.

Stephen Colbert and Elon Musk jump out of an airplane and do a short in-air interview travelling and comment that they experienced 1g of acceleration.

Then they cut to the air strip where they land and walk over to a P90D.
The door opens and Rick Moranis tells them to "get in the back" and proceeds to do a few 1.1g launches.

On the last launch, they slow down to a stop and a Falcon rocket lands (good end up) in front of them.

BOOM GOES THE INTERNET

(and yes, I am trolling for reputation LOL!)

But not as a reveal. Only for a test drive. Definitely not the same thing. :)

Okay, we've all had our fun and now everyone can stop dreaming...
Elon Musk will not show the Model-X on TV for the following reasons:

Everyone has ruled out that the MX hasn't already been "revealed" by then? (Putting aside what many have said about there not going to be a "reveal" anyway...)

Elon does some quirky things, but missing an opportunity to show off the X to that big of an audience, and doing a wink to his previous appearance on the Late Show the S prototype, while having a host who is interested in the car (unlike Dave)... But nah, let's just have Elon fly cross-country to chat with Stephen about rockets and South Africa or something. Right-oh.

1.) He is a control freak and wants to reveal the X in his own way without any TV producer getting in the way with his/her own ideas
2.) He wants to dedicate enough time to the Model-X, rather than the pre-determined slice he is currently allocated
3.) He wants to broadcast information on the Model-X, rather than have a question & answer session typical on this type of talk show
4.) He wants to reveal the Model-X when first deliveries occur, which will be many weeks after Sept 9th
5.) He wants to reveal the Model-X in front of a reliable, friendly, fan-based audience (e.g. employees, reservation holders), not a TV studio audience
6.) He wants to control the web-cast of the session, rather than be at the whim of the TV studios

Or

7.) The X is not yet ready to be shown

I would not rule out showing the Model X on Colbert, but only if there has already been a public release of information on it. What surprises me is how many people have already ruled out a Design Studio release before the end of this month as Elon said at the earnings call. There's still a full week for that to happen before we know for sure it won't.

Yes this was my one condition-- that the car is recently revealed by Tesla already.

With Colbert's reach (using his show), he could get a lot of references. Just saying...
I've heard a rumor Stephen is hatching a plan now to walk away from his multi-million dollar TV hosting gig, plus all the secret payola he pockets using the Colbert bump for evil. By shamelessly amassing Tesla referrals on air he plans to fill his mansion with Tesla swag, become a bearded hermit and spend his remaining days rolling in the floor to ceiling piles of stylish Tesla fleece pullovers like Smaug and his gold. I hear he also wants to teach himself to breathe fire.

I've heard a rumor Stephen is hatching a plan now to walk away from his multi-million dollar TV hosting gig, plus all the secret payola he pockets using the Colbert bump for evil. By shamelessly amassing Tesla referrals on air he plans to fill his mansion with Tesla swag, become a bearded hermit and spend his remaining days rolling in the floor to ceiling piles of stylish Tesla fleece pullovers like Smaug and his gold. I hear he also wants to teach himself to breathe fire.
Dang! He could be just like Karl Rove only with a real head on his shoulders