Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X announcement on Stephen Colbert?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He's going to announce a personal apology to this forum, and invite the most outspoken members to join the team as the new software directors.

I was thinking the EXACT same thing! :)

- - - Updated - - -

They pulled the clip. I'm pretty sure he'll do that with the X. Free marketing at its finest and I know Colbert owns a Model S so he probably wouldn't mind

Joking? Hard to pick up the tenor sometimes. But you're joking, yes?

Last edited:
I think he should show the car. That last mule sighting was pretty open. It's a small step further to bring one on the show and have Elon arrive and step out of the falcon doors. You then have another one sitting on the street with all the bells and whistles, an Model X90D, and rocket Colbert to 60 in 3.3 seconds. C'mon, having millions see that in action would drive demand into a frenzy with a simultaneous design studio opening. Even a couple days later would be fine.

We still have one week of August left and I hope the design studio arrives this month. Showing the X on the Late Show would just be icing on the cake.

Agree! Why reveal via a webcast when you could reveal on one of the most-watched programs on the planet? Why settle for hundreds of thousands of eyeballs when you could have tens of millions, including people who would never plan their day around a webcast?

I think he should show the car. That last mule sighting was pretty open. It's a small step further to bring one on the show and have Elon arrive and step out of the falcon doors. You then have another one sitting on the street with all the bells and whistles, an Model X90D, and rocket Colbert to 60 in 3.3 seconds. C'mon, having millions see that in action would drive demand into a frenzy with a simultaneous design studio opening. Even a couple days later would be fine.

We still have one week of August left and I hope the design studio arrives this month. Showing the X on the Late Show would just be icing on the cake.

I agree. This is a tremendous opportunity to showcase Tesla's product to millions of people. This is a rare opportunity and Elon should make the most of it.

I remember reading that Tesla will do their own event for the first Model X off the line (just like they did for Model S). It could be possible they unveil a production intent design, but I believe for the Model S they did that at their own event also (the Beta Model S event).

I belive Elon could show of the Model X on the show, but still call it a "demo" car. Then announce the date for the final reveal. This way he can show of the car, generate enthusiasm, but still maintain control over where and how he wants to reveal the final product. :cool:

But not as a reveal. Only for a test drive. Definitely not the same thing. :)

\\2012 Ford Focus Gives Letterman a Late Show Test-Drive

Elon said they wouldn't show the MX until deliveries started. IIRC, he either also said or intimated that there wouldn't be a "launch" event the way there was for the D.

Assuming that they put up the configurator in the next couple of weeks (which would be consistent with what Elon said), and start doing deliveries shortly thereafter (maybe just Founders cars), showing the MX on Colbert would be a pretty good idea.

Announcement? Heck, he should ride out onto the stage in an X, and hop out from the backseat via the Falcon door. And the camera should then zoom in and the audience discover there is no driver. It drove Elon out on its own.

That would be worth watching.

Better yet, Elon will walk out to applause, congratulate Colbert on his new show, then announces the new Tesla Model X, and - eyes left, summons a driverless Model X onstage. To audience raves, everyone watches as an awaiting metal snake plugs in and starts charging.