Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you set the automated blinkers one-touch to more than 3 blinks if you could?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Certainly we can blink to our hearts content by pushing lever all the way. The key here is how will AutoPilot work? Will the short push or long one key the lane change.

And this is what I do in my non-Tesla. The signal has a non-locking half stop, then a locking full stop. Most times, I take it to full stop, do my business, then flick it back off.

Anyone who says 3 blinks is sufficient is not providing adequate warning to neighboring drivers prior to the lane change.

Since the configuration discussion has run 3 pages it's time to jump on the what is adequate warning discussion :)

Agree with Steve that lane changes and turns should not force other drivers to change behavior except in certain specific circumstances. Usually significant traffic where the only way to make a turn or change lanes is to jump in a gap that requires someone to adjust a bit (not slam on the brakes).

Disagree with AmpedRealtor's statement, in his usual declarative style, that 3 blinks is simply not sufficient warning. Where I drive, giving too long of a notice of a lane change during rush hour is just asking for other cars to close the gap that you want to move into. I would be unable to change lanes. I am perfectly comfortable when every car around me gives three blinks prior to a line change ... and am simply grateful that they signaled.

3 is a bit short, when there's a lot of traffic or possibilities of cars merging into my space from another lane it usually goes like this:

1. Decide I want to change lanes, check my mirrors & blind spot
2. Hit the lever for the auto-blinker
3. Think to myself "the music is too loud, I can't hear the blinker, did I hit it hard enough? Is it blinking?"
4. Look down at the blinker indicator to see if its flashing: OK, it is... its probably already on blink #2
5. Think: "I've been looking down at the dash too long!" better double check my blind spot to make the the car in lane 3 isn't merging into my spot
6. Blinks have stopped
7. All clear, merge over

A bit exaggerated, and maybe I'll eventually not feel the need to visually as I get more comfortable with the car, but 5 blinks seems reasonable :)

There is nothing that aggravates more when driving on a highway then the lack of proper blinker use. Yes, I know I'm over reacting:smile:
Blinkers are supposed to be used before you change lanes not when you start changing lanes. I was taught to put my blinker on, then count to 3, then change lanes.
Simple and safe. A factory default of 3 is way to short.

The automated blinker is set at 3 blinks from the factory. I find this to be too short.

I know other car manufacturers, like Lexus or BMW, allow you to change that setting, and increase/reduce the amount of blinks. If I could, I would do so in the Model S to increase it to 4 or 5 blinks.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to suggest this to Tesla?

Yes I have had other cars where the auto turn signal count could be adjusted. I agree three is too short, would prefer 4 or 5.

so....the entire automotive industry got it wrong with the auto 3 count?

Skilly, apparently not everyone:smile:

so....the entire automotive industry got it wrong with the auto 3 count?

Besides the already mentioned BMW and Lexus (although it seems not all models allow to change the setting of the blinkers), I know that some Italian cars, can't remember if Fiat or Alfa Romeo, have 5 blinkers set by default - and no option of changing it.

I've driven many different cars, usually when renting them, and sometimes also by test driving them or trying friends' cars, and 3 blinks is not the rule. Many car manufacturers set it at 3 (I know Volkswagen also does it, for instance), but not all of them.

3 is fine for those who think you're supposed to signal WHEN you are making the turn.

The whole point with the turn signal is to put it on BEFORE you are about to make a turn.

So I would say 6 is a fine number: 3 flashes before you do anything, and the last 3 while you are actually changing lanes.

Laws are written such that you have to signal for a particular travelled distance along the road (typically 100 feet) before you depart your lane. At higher speeds, fewer blinks are actually needed to meet that requirement.

For a normally paced and typical 1.5 Hz blinker frequency, it takes just 3 blinks to finish while travelling at 90 kph (50 mph) or more to meet the distance requirement. You need to allow for more blinks to finish at slower speeds before you leave your lane.

So, it's actually illegal to use just one tap of the Tesla configured 3 blinks at speeds slower than this. :eek: You MUST do two taps, or a hold... to get more. Or risk a ticket.

All of this to say, it's just another good excuse to drive fast in a Tesla!! Yee ha!

Why can't Tesla provide all this function: http://www.autowindow.com/orderTAP.html ?? It's costs like what, $80 as an aftermarket add-on... would be "free" in a Tesla could do all that stuff with some software changes and user controls on the screen.

Personally, I like to continue signalling after the legal requirement has been met plus some more.

If you watch truckers, they often signal at the beginning of intention to change lanes and continue signalling all the way through to the truck getting fully into the new lane. Maybe they have different rules that say they must do so...

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised Scott. My classmate in high school got a ticket for failing to properly signal a lane change and the cop told her 100 feet before, during, and 100 feet after. To this day, I still follow this rule even though I live in a different state now.