Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worst moment since owning my S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing that Tesla could have done is updated the status of the supercharger. When I left the one before I clicked on the Shamrock Supercharger in the navigation. Tesla knew at the point it was out. The person on the phone said it was out for 6 hours. I would have stayed in the other town that still had power and got a room in a hotel that had power ;/

Looks like several options near you: PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find a place to charge your car! look for Shamrock, TX. There are RV parks where you can at least get 30mph or so. Long wait, but better than nothing....maybe you can get enough in a few hours to get you to the next supercharger.

Only 96 miles to Weatherford...even with snow, 2 hours charging on a NEMA 14-50 should get you there.

3rd edit...didn't see about I-40 being closed. But if it reopens before power is restored at your location you should have options for NEMA 14-50 charging close enough.

Last edited:
My hope is that once Tesla starts using their battery systems to decrease the amount of peak draw at the superchargers that these batteries will also provide backup to a limited degree. While the rest of the area is black and gas stations can't pump, the supercharger would then still be able to supply some amount of power.

Sorry to hear. We had planned to leave Dallas on Sunday to head back to Arizona but having looked at the weather forecast decided to leave a day early to try and outrun the storm before it hit Amarillo. When we got to Amarillo we still had a few hours of daylight and the storms was still several hours away so we decided to push on to Albuquerque. The storm hit hard just as we arrived at Santa Rosa and got our last charge and headed to overnight in Albuquerque. Although the car performed impeccable I was nervous the whole drive and shortly after leaving Santa Rosa I40 closed. We were very lucky not to get caught in it like you.

Thanks everyone for looking for alternatives to charge. Unfortunately all these alternatives were out of power as well or not reachable. The two RV parks close by were out of power. The Alanreed station half way to Amarillo also had no power. Going back to Elk city was not doable with the range I had left. It was also very dangerous to drive in these conditions at night. I did check all alternatives but decided it was best to just stay put and hope for power to come back and wait for the roads to clear up and have daylight to drive.

Again, the blizzard isn't Tesla's fault but giving the driver real-time status updates about stations is really important. It would have saved me from a lot of trouble. It would have given me alternatives.

Snow

Somedays I really miss my Jeep.
71479_10202216872596124_1978676819_n.jpg
(this was my 3rd one lol).

I was able to pull into the lot and plug in. The power company said they will have service back up at 11 am. I called them at noon LOL
The blizzard is indeed historical and the conditions have nothing to do with Tesla. I'm not blaming them or anyone. It's just a very unfortunate situation for anyone to be in. Being in an EV just makes it extra bad. Once you are down on your battery, you can't just drive to another gas station or have someone bring you gas. The problem with having one charger every 100 miles means each station is absolutely vital. If one fails you are stuck. If you run out of gas, it's trivia to have someone bring a canister.
Btw, I got on the I40 before it was closed. It was scary! I passed many cars that slid in the ditches. The wind blew across the road like I have never seen in my life. Black ice everywhere. At anything over 20 kW the traction control kicked in. But amazing how well the Model S behaves!

- - - Updated - - -

So its a few hours later, did the supercharger come online? Are you back on the road or still waiting for power?

Again, the blizzard isn't Tesla's fault but giving the driver real-time status updates about stations is really important. It would have saved me from a lot of trouble. It would have given me alternatives.

Real-time status would have helped, but as a stop-gap Tesla Motors also could have simply contacted everyone heading to Shamrock. (Eastbound traffic in Santa Rosa or Tucumcari and Westbound vehicles in OKC or Weatherford). I guess there's no process setup for this.

Real-time status would have helped, but as a stop-gap Tesla Motors also could have simply contacted everyone heading to Shamrock. (Eastbound traffic in Santa Rosa or Tucumcari and Westbound vehicles in OKC or Weatherford). I guess there's no process setup for this.
Auto-pilot takes over, displays "That's far enough, Buster -- we're turning around!" on the console, and drives you back to the closest town until the emergency is over... :scared:

It should be noted that if the power is out no one is getting gas for their ICE vehicles either. This made the national news during the big East Coast power outages when EV owners were ferrying around their friends that were trying to get gasoline for their ICEs.

So how would an ICE have been better? you plan on that location for fuel, you don't have enough to go back where you came from, you're stuck.

I haven't seen anything here that would explain how an ICE would have had any better luck.

Once power is back and the roads are clear an ICE could fuel up in 5 min assuming the are not gas lines.

Interesting. I hadn't really given this much thought, but if Tesla has the Navigation talking to the mothership as I've suggested they should before (intended to be for the purpose of sorting out and managing supercharger load/delay and possibly update range estimates with real time weather,) they could do something like that - post an update to all cars with routes through a location, and offer re-routing around the locations affected - similar in principle to the real time traffic monitoring and avoidance systems.

This is indeed a super unfortunate situation. Hopefully the OP will put in some constructive advise to Tesla on how to improve the scenario. As a soon to be owner (hopefully) I am shocked that they don't have real time updates to the Tesla fleet when an SC is out of service and/or out of power.

Car is on the flat bed and we are on the way to the Amarillo supercharger. Tesla service found a great tow company. They said I was hard finding one because all local tow companies are out of gas because all gas stations are down.

Still no power, so don't go to Shamrock.

Great news OP!

Good point. Although, when I had an ICE, I always waited until I was past empty before I would refuel. About 6 months before I bought my 1st Tesla, we had a power outage that lasted for 5 days, so we had to drive about 5 miles to refuel (I know, big deal).

Thats actually potentially really bad for your vehicle. You typically dont want to run lower than a 1/4 tank unless necessary.

Should point out that each set of treads costs more than that Subaru.