Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Problems...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you really see a difference between normal and Range driving mode on the heater consumption. I see the same energy burnt if ON (ECO) or OFF. I see the term ECO on my ventilation screen but today with 3-5C, I still see the car burning 4KW when I'm at light or stopped. Am I missing something?

I saw about a 30 kWh drop in the average during my 25 mile one-way commute between range and non-range. I don't think you can use an instantaneous number to give a good value because it might have been heating the pack at that time. (AFAIK, it still heats the pack with range mode, just not as aggressively.) Winter range mode compared to summer driving (non-range mode) is about 40 kWh hours more.

All cars have a huge difference between winter and summer, it's just that most cars don't tell you about it so you'll never know unless you keep a logbook. Many Prius owners were surprised at the difference as well, but it's really normal.

Do you really see a difference between normal and Range driving mode on the heater consumption. I see the same energy burnt if ON (ECO) or OFF. I see the term ECO on my ventilation screen but today with 3-5C, I still see the car burning 4KW when I'm at light or stopped. Am I missing something?

I've given up on Range/Eco mode. I found on Range/Eco the battery wouldn't heat up and I'd have power and re-gen limits on my whole 40 or so one way commute. I really don't see any difference in consumption over the course of my commute (Wh/mi Since Last Charge) so just leave it on Normal. I get better cabin heating and better battery performance.

Maybe if I was stretching it on a long drive, but for day-to-day it's not worth the bother to me.

I've given up on Range/Eco mode. I found on Range/Eco the battery wouldn't heat up and I'd have power and re-gen limits on my whole 40 or so one way commute. I really don't see any difference in consumption over the course of my commute (Wh/mi Since Last Charge) so just leave it on Normal. I get better cabin heating and better battery performance.

Maybe if I was stretching it on a long drive, but for day-to-day it's not worth the bother to me.

Well I think I'll follow your advice mknox

@jerry33, the 4kW consumption was really due to cabin heater because I shut down the HVAC and the 4KW consumption disapeared. Today, at 2-3C outside, was getting around 2kW when I started HVAC at 18.5C. I will do a couple more tests with and without Range Driving for my curiosity only but as mentioned above, I will put back normal mode for my regular driving.

On a New England discussion thread (Model S Boston Winter Driving Wish List - Page 3), the general conclusion is that Range/Eco is useful for when you're doing a lot of short trips during the course of a cold day. That way you don't waste energy heating the battery only to have it sit and chill again, then the cycle repeats. Recently I'm doing a lot of short runs and Range/Eco seems to make sense.

I've stopped using Range Mode on long trips. If you forget to turn it off while charging it interferes with prewarming and pack heating. Once you're underway and everything is toasty the HVAC doesn't use that much power anyway.

^What he said.

If you're staying overnight then there are several Best Westerns with CS-40 and CS-60 chargers, which are okay for overnight use. For a faster charge you'll want to come to my office. Or the Canada Museum of Science and Technology, but they charge for parking.