Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hit a new cold weather problem - my charging connector had frozen solid so would not rotate to attach to the car.

Solution:

defrost.jpg

I hit a new cold weather problem - my charging connector had frozen solid so would not rotate to attach to the car.

Solution:
<image removed to reduce bandwidth>

Pretty funny. I got sick of that thing freezing the first winter I had my car so I took matters into my own hands. I designed and built a new Roadster connector that is much less prone to freezing, and better yet, you can slide the switch with mittens on.

This was the first version. The latest version is black anodized and has an arrow for orientation. I've got several of these. Let me know if you want one.
ConnectorOnly.JPG

Bare Connector 1 Cropped.JPG

Yesterday we got 2-3 inches of snow and i visited a friend with a less than flat driveway. They have a BMW and Mercedes along with a 4WD truck and they wer certain i could not make it up their drive. To their amazement i drove right out with NO problem.

> I designed and built a new Roadster connector that is much less prone to freezing [hcsharp]

Instead of just reaching for WD40 or silicone spray? Creative juices trump those!!

Btw, any progress on the adapter: S plug > Roadster socket?? [So S cable can charge Roadster]. :smile:
--