Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winning The Hearts of the People In a Politicized World: An Open Letter to Elon Musk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Word of mouth" works well in the music scene. Two great examples are the Grateful Dead and the Dave Matthews Band. Each gained popularity through recording lives shows and trading them for free. It seems for Tesla this has worked so far, with test drives, but it now seems the process must be turned up a notch. The test drives are few and far between due to the laws. People really can't get a grasp of what it's all about until they are physically in the car. I see people going to trade shows/fairs in their home towns, which is great, but what about if the few of you guys that are lucky enough to not have to work get a group together and get out there and go city to city for a few weeks?

"Word of mouth" works well in the music scene. Two great examples are the Grateful Dead and the Dave Matthews Band. Each gained popularity through recording lives shows and trading them for free. It seems for Tesla this has worked so far, with test drives, but it now seems the process must be turned up a notch. The test drives are few and far between due to the laws. People really can't get a grasp of what it's all about until they are physically in the car. I see people going to trade shows/fairs in their home towns, which is great, but what about if the few of you guys that are lucky enough to not have to work get a group together and get out there and go city to city for a few weeks?

Logistics will be a problem and it's not only having the time to pursue it but also the expense of advertising the event and renting a facility.

I've found car shows are idea because people who display their cars already have a habit of spending money on cars--and many cars shown are just show cars.

To Elon, the stock market is currently an externality. It was a source of funds required in the past to achieve critical mass. Tesla attained critical mass - and proved in on Q3 earnings by cash flow positive expansion.

It would slow Tesla's growth not 1% if the stock crashed to $10. It is for sensible investors to appreciate the enormous merit of holding something pretty darn precious: Some of the last ground-floor shares that a massively growing company ever needed to sell while it was still a start-up.

Elon is entirely free to concentrate on the business without excessive reference to the mood of the press, analysts or the market as a whole, that is a problem for external investors, not Elon.

The two, by far, largest shareholders in Tesla are in no mood to sell: Tesla and Elon. The market can squabble amongst itself. That said, who the heck passes up an opportunity to buy shares at a depressed value in a company with 100% compound growth rates that absolutely does not need the money - and just proved it.

Soooo, well, sorry. I just don't get this whole 'open letter' thing.

If you truly wanted to give Elon some advice, why would you do it in front of the world? Why wouldn't you just send it to him privately, instead of lecturing him publicly like this in a forum and tweeting it out for everyone to read? That's not the way to get someone to listen, at least not in my world.

By the way, I'd rather let Elon be Elon. He's unique. I don't want him to play by the same rule book as every other CEO. And I liked the line about arsonists not using batteries to start fires.

Last edited: