Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you buy the Roadster 3.0 battery upgrade?

Will you buy the Roadster 3.0 battery upgrade?

• Yes

Votes: 21 19.6%
  • No

Votes: 38 35.5%
  • Still thinking about it

Votes: 48 44.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also checked "still thinking". This is not enough information for a decision, such as a: What batteries are these - is there a track record to give us an idea as to how they'll hold up vs. what we have now? Warranty on them? b: What about the aero, brake, bearing, tire upgrades? Included? Separate? How much? c: How long will this be available? d: How much weight added/effect on 0-60? e: The original info was they did a 340 mile run, with 20 miles left = 360 miles. But 35% over the original range of 245 = 330 miles - where did those extra 30 miles go?

a) Dunno what type, and doubt they will tell us. I asked about warranty, and will post here when I get an answer.
b) That's all separate. No word on when it will be available, or how much it might be. (Tesla had to release the battery; there are cars that need one. The other stuff is optional so I'm sure it's way behind schedule).
c) Another question I asked, and will answer here when I hear back.
d) Another question I asked, and will answer here when I hear back.
e) The 360 mile run included the new tires/wheels/brakes/aero changes that are part of the separate package we have no info on.

I heard multiple people from inside Tesla say the Roadster 3.0 package would be a "compelling upgrade". I don't think the battery qualifies (it's not a surprising price, but not a compelling one either). I'm holding out hope that the "efficiency package" that is yet to come will have a compelling price; but while Tesla makes many things I really like, I have yet to see them price something in a "compelling" fashion.

My Roadster is now 5 years old and the CAC has started falling faster than earlier in its life. I can probably last with my battery for a couple more years, hitting that 7 year point. But I'm already feeling the pinch on range and it just seems like the pack runs hotter. When I'm low on remaining range, the cooling system comes on earlier and that saps the range even more.

I would like to know more technical details; but really, I expect to buy this pack. In the end, it will extend the useful life of the car.

*crossing fingers*

If the GF can make similar cells at 2/3 the price, and assuming roughly $5k is transportation and labor, then that could lower the price to $21k in, say, 2 years.

That would indeed be better for those of us that can wait. Of course, just having cheaper batteries available (and are they really available if they are all allocated for S/X/III/powerwall production?) does not necessarily mean that Tesla will lower the price right away. They took almost 7 years to lower the original $36k price to replace the battery. It would be nice if they did though; especially if their intention is not to make money on this program.

Is most of the cost the cells at this point or the labor since there are so few of these packs and I'd imagine mostly done by hand?

(I did send in email asking about other possible benefits and will update if I learn something surprising!).

I got a call from Tesla today. As you can imagine, they don't have all the details in place yet, but they tried answering my questions as well as they could. Here is how they think things look so far (I did ask for permission to post this; they were OK as long as I noted that not everything is final):

1. The new pack will include a 3-year warranty. They hope to have an additional extended warranty available for purchase, but they do not have details on that yet (including whether any sort of extended warranty will be available here in WA; we can't buy the other extended warranties)
2. The PEM modifications are small, likely just doing something like allowing for higher voltages during charging. The piece they add will have a "small" warranty, but the rest of the PEM will not.
3. The battery will be heavier, but the person I spoke with had not been told how much heavier.
4. The heavier battery will not slow down the car, because the bigger battery will provide a little more power. It sounds like they should just about cancel each other out. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they made it work that way on purpose (though that is pure speculation)
5. You are expected to turn in an old battery when you buy this new one. However, they give no credit based on condition, so it doesn't seem to matter what type of shape the battery is in. If you have to tow in the car with a non-working battery, that sounds fine. Richkae's idea (sell his good battery to somebody with a bad battery; then trade the bad battery in on a new one) might work. Of course I would have a long talk with the service center doing the work to make sure before counting on this!
6. This is not a limited-time offer. Of course they can't guarantee they will offer the same deal forever, but they plan to offer this going forward. So if the timing isn't right to upgrade now, you can upgrade later.

If you have a bad battery or need more miles now, it is great they are offering this. But for those of us that have good batteries and don't need more miles, waiting until you do need it seems like a reasonable course of action.

- - - Updated - - -

Is most of the cost the cells at this point or the labor since there are so few of these packs and I'd imagine mostly done by hand?

Tesla isn't saying, so I don't think anybody knows for sure. But I imagine that cells are the majority of the cost, though labor still a significant percentage on the Roadster packs.

Last edited:
We're on the still thinking about it. CAC has dropped this year and it's going in for its second annual (since we owned it) next week. Range is still around 176 at Standard mode charge, haven't done a Range mode in a while, but that was close to 224 last time I remember doing one.

Waiting for more range drop before jumping in to do the upgrade

So after placing my order for the 3.0 battery I received an email from Tesla confirming my deposit. The From line in the email showed as "Tesla Accessories and Charging Adapters".
I showed the email to my spouse and she exclaimed "Only Tesla would call a $29K battery an 'accessory'. I think an accessory is a matching color belt for my shoes!"

I voted "No", but that really means "not now." There should have been a choice for "Later."

My battery still has a CAC of 155.77 and gets 295 km (183 mi) on a standard charge. I now rarely drive it more than 100 km from home, so the need for more range is just not there. Our Model S's are the long-legged workhorses now...

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, I wonder if someone (else) will buy one and set a new distance record. Seems like 500 miles would be doable with planning, patience and care.

Ok you got more than I did. On this side of the pond they aren't saying anything because it seems they don't know. The currency conversion and where the work needs to be done are particularly of interest but they can't say. I was beginning to think this deposit page was a stalling tactic.

Tesla said they can build 2 or 3 packs per week, that means about 100 - 150 packs per year.
At such pace they would need more than 18 years to upgrade all roadsters produced. This is clearly a life-extending program for roadsters that actually need new battery i.e. have a dead ESS.
Not having a replacement part is a bad omen for future growth and for what will happen with old S, X, E.
If your ESS still works and you don't actually badly need the range, the upgrade was not meant for you.

On the other hand, roadsters age and are still dropping on price. Investing 29k into something worth 50k is quite different from investing 29k into something worth 30k.

Tesla said they can build 2 or 3 packs per week, that means about 100 - 150 packs per year.
At such pace they would need more than 18 years to upgrade all roadsters produced. This is clearly a life-extending program for roadsters that actually need new battery i.e. have a dead ESS.
Not having a replacement part is a bad omen for future growth and for what will happen with old S, X, E.
If your ESS still works and you don't actually badly need the range, the upgrade was not meant for you.

On the other hand, roadsters age and are still dropping on price. Investing 29k into something worth 50k is quite different from investing 29k into something worth 30k.

As an S owner, but one with a keen interest in the Roadster (I'd love one, but it doesn't quite meet my needs). I have to think the S is slightly different. It is a car that right now has no rivals, but in a decades time it will. Whatever is on the market, will likely be better in every measurable way. You'll simply scrap the car and buy a replacement, and not worry about the battery.

However I really don't think something like the Roadster will ever be seen again :(

I'm sure Tesla's business strategy would love to see you in a Model R and forgetting the Roadster. No doubt it will be convertible and have a silly 0-60, but it will be aimed at a much broader market, and so be a lot heavier, which will likely lose a chunk of the "fun factor".

With no direct rivals, spending any amount on the car to keep it on the road will seem a bit of a no brainer to some irrespective of it's market value. I guess now at least we know what this cost is! ;)

There is also the fact that the car was essentially "the one" that started the electric revolution. You can argue about what came before but the mass market and more importantly the manufacturers didn't take them seriously. For that reason alone the Roadster is worth keeping running. One day Tesla will be looking to buy them back for their heritage collection.

I don't think there is any correlation. S, X, and 3 are much higher production volume vehicles so ongoing support is more likely, and the pack chemistry is much more durable than the original Roadster chemistry. Of course what this shows is that even a low volume vehicle no longer in production can be upgraded in the future. I also expect that going forward as EV's become more mainstream and cell chemistry further improves there will be aftermarket options, allowing modifications which Tesla could never do as a manufacturer, i.e. putting in a pack with substantially less weight.

edit: response was @depeilow

Completely agree.

TBH I am watching the used prices with interest. Once they bottom out, I could be sorely tempted. I have to stay though I'm still nervous over factory support, as well as the cost of that support. I can't help feel that is at least in part why the values haven't started to climb yet. . At $29k for a replacement pack this hasn't completely settled my worries. If it were $10k for the same size pack as shipped originally I'd be a lot more comfortable (though I appreciate this is maybe unrealistic)

(Anyway getting way OT)

Last edited:
I find the 3 year warranty to be quite disappointing.
I am okay with the 3.0 battery warranty (and I have placed my order for the battery). It's difficult for Tesla to have long term confidence in how the battery will perform given it will have cells that Tesla has never used before inside an older enclosure with likely some original parts (cabling, cooling components, etc.).

It's difficult for Tesla to have long term confidence in how the battery will perform given it will have cells that Tesla has never used before inside an older enclosure with likely some original parts (cabling, cooling components, etc.).

From my perspective, that's another reason to be hesitant about the upgrade. But I'm in good shape for now with a CAC of 156. Hopefully this (or another) battery will be available indefinitely.

I have an appointment to fix my TPMS (yet again) in a week, I plan to ask questions about 3.0 then.... Of course I'll post if I learn anything.

Last edited:
Wish I knew if/how Tesla would apply a 1.5 Battery Replacement Warranty toward the 3.0. Mine is scheduled to be replaced at no cost, but if there were an attractive accommodation I'd opt for the 3.0 and pay the $$.

Wish I knew if/how Tesla would apply a 1.5 Battery Replacement Warranty toward the 3.0. Mine is scheduled to be replaced at no cost, but if there were an attractive accommodation I'd opt for the 3.0 and pay the $$.

I had similar questions concerning the Battery Replacement or the Battery Warranty so I emailed them the other day. I talked with Laura Chin at Tesla concerning the 3.0 Upgrade and she explained that if you have the Battery Replacement you could purchase the 3.0 for $6000 plus $1000 per year you have left. So, the way she explained it was if you are on year 5 of the 7 year Replacement warranty, it would cost $6000 plus $1000x2 or a total of $8000. She did not have any information on the three year Battery Warranty (but she would check for me).

She also mentioned something about a Tire Upgrade option coming later this year. She had no other information other than knowing that it was coming. I asked if she would notify me when she had more info concerning both the Battery Warranty and the Tire Upgrade.