Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does PEM on 2.5 Roadster support 3.0 battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2011 Roadster and I am going to upgrade 3.0 battery. Tesla asked me to replace the PEM with the 3.0 battery upgrade. My PEM is working fine. Do anyone know that whether it is just recommendation, or it is a must for replacing the PEM in order to support 3.0 batter?

Another question. Tesla said they don't offer new PEM anymore (they said they used to offer new PEM but recently discontinued). They can only provide remanufactured PEM and it is really expensive (around 10K USD). Anyone having experience with the remanufactured PEM? Do Tesla replace all capacitor/transistor/isolation/connector.... for the remanufactured PEM, or they just replacing parts that necessary for supporting 3.0 battery.

That sounds unusual that they would ask to replace the PEM unless it currently has issues going into your R80 upgrade. Have you asked them for clarification why? Here in the US, they just send your PEM board to HQ for reman. into the 3.0 board then return it back for install, which takes a couple of months.

The upside to the reman. PEM is that they typically carry a warranty of 2 years or 24K miles. They are rebuilt at HQ and I’ve had a great experience with them functioning without issue on my Roadster.

When I had my 3.0 v2 installed, they replaced my PEM with a "new" PEM. It was new in that it was never used, but according to some sources, these "new" PEMs were just PEMs manufactured 10 or more years ago that had been sitting in storage.