Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the P85D's top speed be changed to 155 mph?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, am I correct that on Autobahn the Tesla's top sustained speed is 135MPH, basically 5MPH over the regular Mercedes/BMW/Audi (which limit most their lower end and mid range vehicles to 130MPH sustained), and that the Tesla has a brief "passing" mode of up to 155MPH for those moments when you want to pass one of those regular cars (only doing 130MPH sustained) but want to get out of the way quickly of the expensive cars that do much more than 135MPH sustained?

So, am I correct that on Autobahn the Tesla's top sustained speed is 135MPH, basically 5MPH over the regular Mercedes/BMW/Audi (which limit most their lower end and mid range vehicles to 130MPH sustained), and that the Tesla has a brief "passing" mode of up to 155MPH for those moments when you want to pass one of those regular cars (only doing 130MPH sustained) but want to get out of the way quickly of the expensive cars that do much more than 135MPH sustained?

There is no 130mph limit imposed on any Mercedes/BMW/Audi in Germany (or anywhere else in Europe. This seems to be a US, Canada, Australia thing. Don't know where else they do it.). Don't know why they do it for the US and in other places, perhaps because of the all seasons tires preferred in some markets?
Even a 520d does 145 mph and a bog standard Golf GTI will exceed 150 mph.

Last edited:

No the P85D limits it’s power but I haven’t seen a limit on the car’s top speed yet. It can go 250 kph even with the 240kw limit on and it can stay there for quite some time.
I pulled away from a brand new Audi Q7 TDI yesterday easily. Remember the Tesla’s cw is 0,24.

There is no 130mph limit imposed on any Mercedes/BMW/Audi in Germany (or anywhere else in Europe. This seems to be a US, Canada, Australia thing. Don't know where else they do it.)..

There is actually an 155mph limit on many performance cars (250 km/h), even high-performance cars like the BMW M5 (who definitely has the motor power to go faster). Fact: BMW M5 Sedan : Tekniska data

I pushed hard yesterday night and saw the 217kph limiter for the very first time. The car won't allow more than 120kw than. It took me about 7km full throttle to see the Speed Limit.

With full power the P85D still pulls away from a 306hp Audi A6 TDI above 200kph. This is respectable perfomance.

I pushed hard yesterday night and saw the 217kph limiter for the very first time. The car won't allow more than 120kw than. It took me about 7km full throttle to see the Speed Limit.

With full power the P85D still pulls away from a 306hp Audi A6 TDI above 200kph. This is respectable perfomance.

I should sure hope so. With more than double hp, claimed, it should have left the Audi like it was standing still at any speed up to 155.

I should sure hope so. With more than double hp, claimed, it should have left the Audi like it was standing still at any speed up to 155.

That's the thing here: It isn't delivering that much more. And if it does, it's for a very short period of time. (Realist said for 7 km driving 250km/h. That's just 1min40secs. After that, just 120kw (173?!?!?!hp) was available.

Just to compare:
Audi is coming with RS5 TDI shortly. "Just" 381HP, but will accelerate to 100kmh (61mph) under 4 secs. 0-200kmh below 16 secs. That's including shifting.
About the same as P85D. How come?