Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the ludicrous upgrade improve P85D performance by only 0.2 seconds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a fee of $22,500, for the new 90 pack, and an additional "core" charge of $2500 if you keep the 85 pack, (though some have reported being told that's not even an option.)

My point is that if you pay Tesla this $22,500 or $25,000 and then also pay an additional $5,000 for the Ludicrous upgrade, you shouldn't also have to pay the $2500 labor on the Ludicrous upgrade, since the 90 pack already has the Ludicrous parts in it.

That makes sense.

For what it's worth, I may be a fool but I cannot believe, I absolutely cannot believe, that a car company that has all the other things on their plate that they do would set up this whole elaborate infrastructure for reworking hardware for customers if they were just suckering us out of $7500 to produce a 0.2s improvement (the subject of this thread). It has to end up better than that.

You'd think, but I can think of 691 other reasons why that might not be the case.

I think most of us were assuming our cars would have to spend a number of days at a service center, but it would be a single trip. This would mean two different trips to a service center. For those of us who don't live near one, that's a significant difference.

I don't think you thought that complaint through. If you leave your P85D with loaner battery parked at the service center for a number of days and you can have just one multi-day trip as you seem to want - same as if they just kept your car for a number of days. No? ;-)

I don't think you thought that complaint through. If you leave your P85D with loaner battery parked at the service center for a number of days and you can have just one multi-day trip as you seem to want - same as if they just kept your car for a number of days. No? ;-)

I thought the situation through.

Here's part of the original post with the new information:

However, I learned that the P85D battery will be removed at the local service center and replaced with a loaner battery. The battery will then be shipped to one of several regional centers trained to perform the upgrade, after which it will be shipped back and reinstalled at the local center.

This does not sound like a process that is going to take two or three days, which is what I think the general consensus had been with respect to how long the upgrade would take, assuming it was being completed at a single location. For those of us that live a distance from a service center, we may have been able to plan a short trip--to visit friends or relatives, etc. The above, though, definitely sounds like a much longer process than a couple of days. I'm guessing it'll wind up being at least a couple of weeks, if not longer. I think if true, that does change things significantly.

This does not sound like a process that is going to take two or three days, which is what I think the general consensus had been with respect to how long the upgrade would take, assuming it was being completed at a single location. For those of us that live a distance from a service center, we may have been able to plan a short trip--to visit friends or relatives, etc. The above, though, definitely sounds like a much longer process than a couple of days. I'm guessing it'll wind up being at least a couple of weeks, if not longer. I think if true, that does change things significantly.

The original complaint was only about the number of trips. That said, $2500 in labor can easily be spread over be 3 days worth of work, add 1 day to drain the battery, so 4 days, possibly add a weekend, so 6 days max. Would you rather have a single trip and have to stay there for 6 days, or one round trip to drop the battery off, and another round trip with few hours stay to pick it up one or two weeks later?

Of course, this may all be moot. If the new wording added to the P85D Ludicrous pre-order page turns out to be true (i.e. you only get 0.2s better 0-60, but the same 0-155 (which implies 0.2s slower 60-155)), that means that even with the new fuse, the old battery cannot take advantage of it (kind of like the battery cannot supply power to fully utilize the motor potential, it won't be able to use the full fuse capabilities). Then, it may be easier for them to charge you $7500+tax and just mail you the badging underline and send you an over the air update to rename the a "Insane" button to "Ludicrous" - much easier on you (no trips whatsoever) but pretty much the same result.

The original complaint was only about the number of trips. That said, $2500 in labor can easily be spread over be 3 days worth of work, add 1 day to drain the battery, so 4 days, possibly add a weekend, so 6 days max. Would you rather have a single trip and have to stay there for 6 days, or one round trip to drop the battery off, and another round trip with few hours stay to pick it up one or two weeks later?

As I said, I was figuring on a two day trip, and even if that stretched into a three day trip it could still easily be doable with planning, etc. For those of us living a good distance from a service center, a day shouldn't be required for battery draining as long as we're informed what SOC they'd like us to arrive with. The weekend also isn't an issue, as they don't pop up randomly in the middle of weeks. (Meaning someone who was concerned with minimizing the length of the trip would not schedule it to involve a weekend.)

So I'll stick to my original point that the change may be significant for people who may have wanted to make one trip, and wait two or even three days with the car, as opposed to making two trips.

Check out my most recent report, from 24 February testing of two (2) upgraded P85D Model S sedans:

Tesla Model S: From Insane to Ludicrous to slice 1/4-mile times

What has happened to the original "promise" in the Tesla website from when the P90D(Ludicrous) was advertised of "sub 11 second quarter mile" performance???? The ONLY Model S cars to run sub-11 second quarter mile times have been LOANER cars from Tesla to Motor Trend and Car and Driver. I have yet to see ANY owner cars that have run faster than our upgraded P85D(L) sedans did last week.

hey good data point there George, i've been asking for some weight info. Was that with you in it?

"Actually over 5000 pounds. At Bandemere in Denver they had a scales for the cars and I was 5190 pounds after my first run there. Of course I got lighter as I used up those "heavy electrons." 8 - )"

Check out my most recent report, from 24 February testing of two (2) upgraded P85D Model S sedans:

Tesla Model S: From Insane to Ludicrous to slice 1/4-mile times

What has happened to the original "promise" in the Tesla website from when the P90D(Ludicrous) was advertised of "sub 11 second quarter mile" performance???? The ONLY Model S cars to run sub-11 second quarter mile times have been LOANER cars from Tesla to Motor Trend and Car and Driver. I have yet to see ANY owner cars that have run faster than our upgraded P85D(L) sedans did last week.

The Car and Driver car managed an 11.1 according to the article.

Those 1/4 mile times for the Ludicrous upgraded P85Ds are just crazy fast!! Hard to imagine that I had to launch my 8 liter V10 Viper carefully feathering the throttle and clutch to prevent wheel spin, with lots of practice, to get a 12.2 and with these, a simple, mindless mash on the throttle gets you 11.3's! Simply amazing!

jca,
If you check out the data logging threads you will see that Tesla put a bucket load of time into managing the first one second. Both motors go to pre-determined torque levels which are carefully controlled. The P85D, DL and P90DL motor torque curves overlay near perfectly. The result is exactly as you describe, benign. Neat stuff.