Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will EAP ever be different from FSD?

If you originally purchased your car with EAP, what has happened since then?

• I haven't upgraded, and will never upgrade

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • I haven't upgraded, but will upgrade before the price hike on November 1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I upgraded recently for $3k

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • I upgraded during the $2k sale

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • I upgraded for $5k

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered my Model 3 with EAP in November 2018, and took delivery in December, during the downtime while Tesla was trying to figure out how to repackage and price AP. I missed the first fire sale for $2k upgrade to FSD when they first relaunched it, definitely didn't purchase the upgrade when it was $5-6k after that, but have been wavering on the fence at the current $3k upgrade cost.

In the summer, when the first price hike scare (that ultimately got delayed until this Friday) happened, I visited my local service center and a separate store, trying to get any kind of informed knowledge about the future of EAP. I had multiple Tesla employees say without certainty, but with strong confidence that EAP was at it's end as far as development goes. FSD will branch from here, and no new features will be added. Lo and behold, I stand here now with the full v10 software upgrade, including Enhanced Summon, which several Tesla employees nearly swore I would never get without upgrading.

Does anybody have any idea what the future of EAP is? At this point, I don't think anybody can be any less informed than someone who actually works for Tesla, so I'll listen to anything. When will it be different from FSD? Should I just wait out Tesla, until they "force" me to upgrade to FSD at no cost? I'm getting the sense they wish they never did EAP, and having it still out in the wild is more inconvenient for them than not having FSD is for me. If I just don't play the upgrade game, is that how I actually win?

Does anybody have any idea what the future of EAP is? At this point, I don't think anybody can be any less informed than someone who actually works for Tesla, so I'll listen to anything. When will it be different from FSD? Should I just wait out Tesla, until they "force" me to upgrade to FSD at no cost? I'm getting the sense they wish they never did EAP, and having it still out in the wild is more inconvenient for them than not having FSD is for me. If I just don't play the upgrade game, is that how I actually win?

Just my personal opinion:

I think EAP is basically done at this point. If you look at the old EAP order page, Tesla has finished all the features that they wanted for it. Tesla might add traffic light detection to EAP to be nice to EAP owners but after that, I doubt EAP will get anything more in terms of "big features". "Automatic City Driving" will most likely be FSD only. EAP was basically "FSD light". Once FSD is "feature complete", I expect Tesla to really focus on FSD and basically abandon EAP.

The better question is when will FSD be different than EAP? FSD is the future. So FSD will diverge from EAP, not the other way around. Tesla won't add stuff to EAP to make it better than FSD. That would defeat the whole purpose of doing FSD.

Just my two cents.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Just my personal opinion:

I think EAP is basically done at this point. If you look at the old EAP order page, Tesla has finished all the features that they wanted for it. Tesla might add traffic light detection to EAP to be nice to EAP owners but after that, I doubt EAP will get anything more in terms of "big features". "Automatic City Driving" will most likely be FSD only. EAP was basically "FSD light". Once FSD is "feature complete", I expect Tesla to really focus on FSD and basically abandon EAP.

The better question is when will FSD be different than EAP? FSD is the future. So FSD will diverge from EAP, not the other way around. Tesla won't add stuff to EAP to make it better than FSD. That would defeat the whole purpose of doing FSD.

Just my two cents.

Elon said EAP will get Smart Park. That will probably be the final feature before FSD exclusive features.

Since we are dealing in opinions, my opinion is that EAP is feature complete right now, and no other features will come for EAP only tesla owners. So, no navigation on city streets, no red light detection, etc. I bought EAP with my car in december of last year, and originally only intended to buy FSD when it had a tangible difference from EAP.

When the price for the upgrade was 2k, I changed my mind, thinking that was an excellent price to guarantee I would get the new hardware. I figured that even if I wanted "just the new hardware" at some point later, it would likely cost me more than 2k so I jumped on it... even though I dont really use NOA, etc.

I suffer from FOMO (fear of missing out) and plan to have this car for a long time (6-8 years). One thing that normally drives me to feel like I need to replace a car is, "the new versions do XXX and YYY but mine doesnt, and there is no way to add it". Yeah I know, not the best way to look at it, but I love technology. Anyway, back on thread topic, I feel its feature complete now, and development for all autopilot features will only be released for FSD.

You left another option off your ballot - have EAP, haven't upgraded to FSD, maybe will in the future. Since EAP today has the same feature set of FSD, no reason to pay now. If there is a FSD that I like and is distinctly "more" than EAP, I probably will upgrade.

Current NoA is unsatisfactory on about half the highway intersections I frequent. FSD has to prove itself to me. I want it only if it works consistently.

Reactions: notsure11
I bought EAP with the car because at the time you had to get it to get TACC
I bought FSD at the time out of FOMO.

What's funny is I haven't received what I'd consider to be a passable EAP feature since I got the car, and I haven't gotten a single FSD feature.

Basically it's been $8K for TACC, and sometimes I use basic summon when I need the car moved so I can get the garbage bin around the car to the curb.

Yet, I'm undeniably excited for the city NoA, and Smart Park.

What the heck is wrong with me? :p

It's so bad that I'm going to obsessively map parking lots I use using OpenStreetmaps in hopes that it updates the Smart Summon maps. The theory is that will fix it so I'll at least have that.

$8K spent, and yet I'm the one walking around a parking lot with an mapping app.

Oh, well. I guess it gives me something to do.

I have EAP and FSD for the same reason, I paid Tesla thousands of dollars to flip a HasFSD=true flag in a database somewhere and for them to use my vehicle as a mobile research/experimentation platform to build future features that will probably drop sometime after I trade the car in for a new one. And on top of that, like you, I am also fixing their maps for them, free of charge, at least that helps out a non-profit organization at the same time.

Does anybody have any idea what the future of EAP is

I personally think EAP wont diverge from FSD until the new hardware is required for the features to work. Then EAP will naturally split from FSD since EAP doesnt get the upgrade. I personally dont think Tesla will limit features until then since they havent shown that inclination as of yet.

Elon said EAP will get Smart Park. That will probably be the final feature before FSD exclusive features.

This was originally listed as an FSD only feature, not an EAP one. #stillwaitingforFSD

The Autopilot page used to have an "Enhanced Autopilot" section before "Full Self-Driving Capability" with these headers:

Enhanced Autopilot
Navigate on Autopilot
Autosteer+
Smart Summon

Full Self-Driving Capability
From Home
To your Destination

With the inclusion of Smart Park, the general distinction seems to be high speed and low speed situations for Enhanced Autopilot while FSD handles intermediate speed decisions.

Perhaps the answer to this question can be determined from the company financials. When a company sells something they have not fully delivered, due to GAAP they must put that money into a reserve, and cannot put the money into revenues. Tesla has been open that they have a large reserve for FSD. The are very anxious to get FSD feature complete so they can take most of that money. Before year end, would have a substantial financial benefit. There has been no indication of an EAP reserve, which would suggest obligations met. Though it is possible it is buried in with FSD somehow.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Perhaps the answer to this question can be determined from the company financials. When a company sells something they have not fully delivered, due to GAAP they must put that money into a reserve, and cannot put the money into revenues. Tesla has been open that they have a large reserve for FSD. The are very anxious to get FSD feature complete so they can take most of that money. Before year end, would have a substantial financial benefit. There has been no indication of an EAP reserve, which would suggest obligations met. Though it is possible it is buried in with FSD somehow.

According to the report I saw, the FSD deferred revenue is around $500 million. So definitely a lot of money that Tesla will want to claim as soon as possible. Which is why they are eager to release FSD features as soon as possible.

Reactions: Kmartyn
Think the biggest difference is that Tesla has said they will upgrade those FSD owners to the new, more powerful V3 Computer.

Think this will make the most difference going forward.

All the new cars come now with V3 and many have already posted about getting their upgraded installed for free.

Reactions: Kmartyn