Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why doesn't the younger generation "love" cars like the older?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From BobW: The reason is that cars don't impress girls anymore....

Bob, This thread is about why the younger generation don't love cars....so, you assume 'the entire younger generation are guys?" and that no girls like cars themselves? (besides the biological inconsistencies of an entire generation that is all male!!)

I love buying cars even at regular dealers (though admittedly I am not young). Probably because as a scientist, I don't put up with traditional stereotypes. When a dealer says to me, "what color do you want?" I change the subject to car specs. If the salesperson can't answer my questions and/or asks again about color, I simply walk out and go someplace else.

I even had one experience (2009) where I found the car I wanted (VW Jetta), was all set to buy it and drive out that day, but I didn't get the respect I thought I deserved, so I simply called another VW dealership and said, "Hey, there's a car I want at the dealership across town. I didn't like the way I was treated. If you give me the price he quoted, I will buy it from you". That second dealership was the one that got my business. Easy commission for the second guy, just for treating me like a person and not a barbie doll.

I even had one experience (2009) where I found the car I wanted (VW Jetta), was all set to buy it and drive out that day, but I didn't get the respect I thought I deserved, so I simply called another VW dealership and said, "Hey, there's a car I want at the dealership across town. I didn't like the way I was treated. If you give me the price he quoted, I will buy it from you". That second dealership was the one that got my business. Easy commission for the second guy, just for treating me like a person and not a barbie doll.
The guy move would have been to place that call while at the first dealership. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I already at 15k miles in less than a year. I'm pretty sure that's quite a bit higher than every year since getting out of school.

"So like a couple years." ;)

Well I do i've been playing racing games since i was 5 and am 19 now... soon to be 20.

I've always loved cars in general... Now, im not completely against gas cars but Tesla is pretty much the best car company ever so all the other cars i use to drool over (lambo's, ferrari's, etc.) they don't really do anything for me anymore so its just like ehh whatever. I still appreciate them but i love electric, Tesla has intrigued me like no other. The Model S is by far my favorite car and the greatest car ever made IMO.

http://asymcar.com/r/?p=112

Possibly the greatest cinematic celebration of cars and youth, American Graffiti, celebrates its 40th anniversary this month.The story of California teenagers’ lives revolving around their cars rang true once but would seem hopelessly contrived if made today. Nowadays, increasing numbers of teenagers across the developed world don’t even bother getting a driving licence, let alone a car.

A little contradictory. Early on he says Millennials want cars with more automated features so they can drive themselves for example so you can text and drive without causing an accident. Then later he says make cars more affordable. We don't care if they have any gadgets or electronics...

Last edited by a moderator:
From BobW: The reason is that cars don't impress girls anymore....

Bob, This thread is about why the younger generation don't love cars....so, you assume 'the entire younger generation are guys?" and that no girls like cars themselves? (besides the biological inconsistencies of an entire generation that is all male!!)
Maybe I'm just an old fashioned boy. OTOH, even if it's only 50% of the population that loses interest somebody will notice.

I don't think you understand how vital impressing girls is to men's motivation. It's probably why interest in the STEM fields is so low, too. The meme that science and technology are uncool has poisoned it.
I love buying cars even at regular dealers (though admittedly I am not young). Probably because as a scientist, I don't put up with traditional stereotypes. When a dealer says to me, "what color do you want?" I change the subject to car specs. If the salesperson can't answer my questions and/or asks again about color, I simply walk out and go someplace else.

Good show! I wish more people would do that. The customer has the real power. It's time we used it.

A little contradictory. Early on he says Millennials want cars with more automated features so they can drive themselves for example so you can text and drive without causing an accident. Then later he says make cars more affordable. We don't care if they have any gadgets or electronics...
As I remember it without going back to check, he could probably have been a little clearer than he is in the video. But I think he meant to say that besides the self driving features, he doesn’t really care about additional gadgets/electronics. He’ll be immersed in his phone anyway… And guess I can’t really comment on how realistic the proposal for ‘affordable above everything else’ is.

Personally I have no idea how representative his opinions are. I guess I kind of would be rather surprised if they really are representative at all for “millennials”. I of course do like his pro-environment stance and the pro-Tesla shout out though. (And ftr I haven’t been keeping track on this thread, but it just seemed like a too good fit not to post…)

Yeah that video basically made the problem seem worse. Even a millennial can't tell you what they want in a car. I would HATE the car he is describing, and I am a millennial.

I could tell you what I want. We would need about an hour (then a follow-up session a few days later of about 15-30 minutes). And that car would be something that only a few thousand people would want. The real problem is that most drivers don't really care what they drive. They want a transportation appliance. They don't want to drive a car.

The real problem is that most drivers don't really care what they drive. They want a transportation appliance. They don't want to drive a car.
Exactly how I interpreted that opening. And why I pray that car makers continue to respect drivers in what they make rather than left front seat passengers.

If you want to be transported and you don't want to call a taxi or wait for a bus, then perhaps a new breed of "personal taxi" needs to be born. Leave my car alone. :)

Exactly how I interpreted that opening. And why I pray that car makers continue to respect drivers in what they make rather than left front seat passengers.

If you want to be transported and you don't want to call a taxi or wait for a bus, then perhaps a new breed of "personal taxi" needs to be born. Leave my car alone. :)

oh, Brianman! Does this mean I don't get to ride shotgun at the next TESLIVE? :eek:

I think one reason cars are not as big with this generation is that cars are much more expensive and a LOT more expensive to run than I was growing up. Many younger people simply can't afford one.

When I started to drive an hour at minimum wage purchased 6 gal of gas. Now one is lucky to get 2 gal for an hour of work.

I think one reason cars are not as big with this generation is that cars are much more expensive and a LOT more expensive to run than I was growing up. Many younger people simply can't afford one.

When I started to drive an hour at minimum wage purchased 6 gal of gas. Now one is lucky to get 2 gal for an hour of work.

Bingo.

The reason young people have registered 30% less cars is because of low income levels and high unemployment among the young.

Almost everyone wants personal freedom. Average new car $31k, gallon of gas ~$4/gallon, maintenance, plus mandatory insurance.

Trendy neighborhoods that have grocery stores, restaurants, bars, bookstores, movie theaters within walking distance are also expensive.