Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does Model 3 need CCS/CHAdeMO adapter? This is why.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm very curious as to the usage habits of people in California that have access to free unlimited supercharging but also have easy charging at home. I don't see how it can be worth anybody's time to go to a SC to save $5-10 when they could easily charge at home. However, people are really cheap :)
Free makes many people do crazy things. Also electricity is a lot more money in CA so they are likely saving more.

I completely agree with this too. I-95 is one of the most heavily traveled highways, yet there’s a 310 mile stretch between Jacksonville, FL and Florence, SC that only have 12 stalls between two stations and all had lines of 2-3 cars this weekend. Not as much as seen in California I’m sure, but still frustrating. Especially when there’s no one to help manage the line or limit charging time. Once you get north of Florence, they are more frequent and often have 10-20 stalls per station. I’ve haven’t had a problem traveling between NC and NY, but NC to FL proved difficult.

On another note, it looks like they finally changed all of their many “Target Opening 2018” stations on the Supercharger map to now say 2019.
I'm all for more superchargers, but I doubt you will see any more expansion along that particular 310-mile stretch for a good while. To be fair, in that stretch there are actually 18 stalls at 3 sites (Kingsland, Savannah, and Santee) so there's no real need for people to charge for long periods of time if they are simply sticking to I-95 for their road trip. I know that Savannah had big issues over the recent holidays, but I've used these sites many times over the last 3 years, and usually I'm all alone (or nearly so) when I do.

I doubt it. Granted, I'm not in an area with a high level of EV ownership, but almost every CCS and CHAdeMo station I've come across has been almost eternally empty.
I am absolutely sure people will complain! I have seen it already with Leaf owners at Nissan dealerships against non-Leaf owners even though the Dealerships were OK with it. That is just one example. No one wants to wait to charge and it leads to people being upset and unfair to each other.

I want a CCS adapter. Most sites (except Nissan dealers) have both CCS and Chademo, and Nissan is not exactly burning up the charts lately. Seems like a no brainer - Tesla gets to claim more support with less money spent on SC stations. Yeah ?

Reactions: Galve2000
I am absolutely sure people will complain! I have seen it already with Leaf owners at Nissan dealerships against non-Leaf owners even though the Dealerships were OK with it. That is just one example. No one wants to wait to charge and it leads to people being upset and unfair to each other.

man....what did those people do at OEM-agnostic gas pumps?

:cool:

I agree - even Leaf owners against Leaf owners. Nissan service plugged in our Leaf a couple years ago to the one CHAdeMO quick charger and another Leaf owner drove up, unplugged our car and then plugged in his car. Didn't even ask us or the dealership, as we would have let him do it.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
I agree - even Leaf owners against Leaf owners. Nissan service plugged in our Leaf a couple years ago to the one CHAdeMO quick charger and another Leaf owner drove up, unplugged our car and then plugged in his car. Didn't even ask us or the dealership, as we would have let him do it.
Yea, I sometimes get some bunk on Plugshare, because my profile shows a Tesla while I also have Leafs and they think I am charging the Tesla even though I may be charging the Leaf. Can't all of us early adopting Band of Brother/Sisters just support each other?:) Nope!! Not when it comes to using (MY) charger and (I) have to wait for it.;)

Last edited:
I live in CA (Bay Area) and I have never used a SpC. I live 10 from the Dublin SC, and 15-20 mins away from the Fremont factory, so I have access, but I have a wall charger at home and get free charging (4 hour limit) at work. My co-worker lives in Fremont and uses the SpC exclusively. They live in a rental, so can't install a wall charger at home (only option is 120V). They also don't have a charger at work (it my co-worker's husband). Point is, there are a lot of Tesla owners who don't have access to chargers except for SpC.

Last edited: