Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why anyone needs a car that does 155 mph or a roof rack good for 140 mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is a tweet from Mr Musk: MX roofrack guaranteed to 140 mph.
You keep one wing door out of action

Elon Musk on Twitter:

I wonder who how why when what they tested that thing?
Wind tunnel? Or some loon out on the road belting it until it fell off?
How many times?
Can they replicate the test?
Who is up for trying it? Don't forget to load it with something disposable (mother in law?)

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder who how why when what they tested that thing?
Wind tunnel? Or some loon out on the road belting it until it fell off?
How many times?
Can they replicate the test?
Who is up for trying it? Don't forget to load it with something disposable (mother in law?)

Got to answer my own post...
Mr and Mrs Musk tested it in England while wing-walking on the biplane in Septemberish.
Mrs M used it for a grab handle. It was still good at 140 but she nearly fell off when it broke loose after that.

• Funny
Reactions: David29
200 mph production truck?
Even in Aus, well ,
I should rephrase the OP, Why would any sane person etc

We changed the turbocharger and tuning. Pump diesel fuel, stock body.

Closed Course, Bonneville Salt Flats, Utah USA.

Yes, sanity would make it tougher. The engine exploded at 203mph, averaged 197.xxx mph. Cleaning fire suit was a problem.

One of my sponsors: Garrett News Events

We had to run it with a hurt engine for the backup pass, since we did not have spare engine parts. Ran on 7 cylinders for the record.

Last edited:
We changed the turbocharger and tuning. Pump diesel fuel, stock body.

Closed Course, Bonneville Salt Flats, Utah USA.

Yes, sanity would make it tougher. The engine exploded at 203mph, averaged 197.xxx mph. Cleaning fire suit was a problem.

One of my sponsors: Garrett News Events

We had to run it with a hurt engine for the backup pass, since we did not have spare engine parts. Ran on 7 cylinders for the record.

OK so I read the link (to Garrett News Events).
You really are mad McRat.

Incidentally, why did you buy a Tesla? Or if not, why muck around here? What interests you.
You should be in your shed with Mrs McRat building the 250 mph next truck!

Or will it be a Tesla based race car?

You should visit Germany... 155 really isn't that rare or strange...
It gets pretty strange if you are trying to cross the road with cars doing those speeds. I once needed to get to an emergency phone across the freeway because my car had stopped.
Cars coming onto me at 110 kph (70 mph) come up extremely quickly.
I imagine a pedestrian could not even see a car coming at 155 before he steps out.
What are the numbers? 155 in feet per minute?

I think that is 227 feet per second?

It gets pretty strange if you are trying to cross the road with cars doing those speeds. I once needed to get to an emergency phone across the freeway because my car had stopped.
Cars coming onto me at 110 kph (70 mph) come up extremely quickly.
I imagine a pedestrian could not even see a car coming at 155 before he steps out.
What are the numbers? 155 in feet per minute?

I think that is 227 feet per second?

Yes. 155 MPH =227.33 fps

This was an older thread. I spent my time mostly on the Tesla owned forums which have been cut (possibly due to too much infighting).
So I might spend time here.
I have orders in for a Cybertruck and a MSPlaid +...although if the market doesn't sustain the appropriate gains I may cancel one.
At 75 yo when it arrives, I wonder how I will handle 0-60 in 1.99? Of course, it will have roof racks and tow bar.

Actually the car is limited to 155mph
They Who Know figured this was the sensible speed to limit it at.
But who actually wants to drive at 155? Maybe those who want to drive fast would drive faster if it wasn't limited to 155. And those who want to drive slower...nearly 100 % of the population..want to drive slower. Maybe a top speed of half that would suit 99%. Or 2 std deviations.

I rarely go over 125 mph. And only when I am being an idiot.
I understand Elon said the roof rack on MX is good for, no, guaranteed for 140 mph.
Why would you drive with a roof rack at 140? I suppose I might have done when I was a bigger idiot than I am now.
Would you carry kayaks up there? 2x4s? 4x8 ft. plywood? Mother-in-law?

Perhaps it is just to compete with others in the market, but the same question applies. Why?

Perhaps it is because they can. (build a car that does 155).
But since they can possibly get much greater speed from S and X, why limit it so it looks like you can 'only' do 155?

I think there is one basic area you can legally do those speeds in Australia. (Northern Territory). And Germany. Where else? Antarctica?
Perhaps the cars are designed to be sold to idiots.

BTW, in 6 months on the 'other' forum, I never copped a McLary bashing. Idiot, lol. What he missed.
Perhaps I am in the minority, and possibly a wimp besides, but I have never driven any car more than about 90 mph. Here in the Boston area, there is no place I know of where that would be safe or sensible, except perhaps at a track.
I have, however, ridden in my Tesla 70D at about 115-120 mph, if only for a few seconds, and not willingly. It was shortly after I got the car, and I attended my first EV promotional event. It was a "ride & drive" event at a supermarket parking lot, but not many non-owners came over to look at the cars, and no one asked me for a ride. At the end of the event as people were packing up, one of the other EV owners approached me and asked if he could drive the car, saying he had driven many EV cars including Teslas, but never a 70D. I agreed. The event was held at a location only a mile or so from I-95, and soon we were heading south along I-95 amid the Sunday afternoon traffic. Before I knew what was happening, the car was moving incredibly fast. Glancing at the speedometer, I was shocked to see a number in the 115+ range, and I immediately told the driver to reduce his speed, which he did. Shortly after that we saw a state trooper. My guest driver was glad he had cut his speed when he did! It was a totally inappropriate place and time to drive at such a speed, with or without a nearby state trooper.
Needless to say, I learned a couple of lessons that day. One lesson was to be more careful about stating the "rules" when letting guests drive my car,. especially at EV events! Another thing I learned was how solid and smooth the car felt at high speed! But that has not tempted me to repeat the experience.
One of the aspects of this topic is that Tesla no longer offers a version of the Model S that is modest in its capabilities, including top speed. My 70D is limited to something like 125 mph, as I recall, which is perfectly adequate for me and probably most others people. It distresses me that I would have to purchase a much more capable and much more costly car if I wanted to replace my Model S with a newer Model S.

So, my view is that no, no one (in the US, at least) "needs" a car capable of 155 mph, but also, no one should be limited to only cars powerful enough to achieve that speed. So by all means, buy one capable of that if you wish, but don't make the rest of us pay for that capability if we do not want it.

This was an older thread. I spent my time mostly on the Tesla owned forums which have been cut (possibly due to too much infighting).
So I might spend time here.
I have orders in for a Cybertruck and a MSPlaid +...although if the market doesn't sustain the appropriate gains I may cancel one.
At 75 yo when it arrives, I wonder how I will handle 0-60 in 1.99? Of course, it will have roof racks and tow bar.
When I started reading this thread and commenting, I did not notice the date of the first post, so my comments are in a sort of time warp, I suppose.
Interestingly enough, I am already more than 75, which no doubt influences my feelings about the "need" for speeds of 155 mph. Glad to see you still ready to invest in another Tesla and I hope we both are driving them for many years (but I might be a bit less adventurous than you!).