Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who prefers a Model 3 station wagon?

What do you want?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would be OK with a hatchback but I'd prefer a wagon. I can almost guarantee Tesla won't come out with a wagon, though, as they don't sell well in the U.S..

I really can't wrap my head around that fact. I mean, car trends in the U.S. have always seemed a bit "strange" to outsiders, but especially when it comes to the dislike of wagons, I can only shake my head. Wagons are at least as practical as many of those so-called SUVs, they are more economical and many are also more austhetically pleasing. No wonder they sell in huge numbers over here. Honestly, if you had the choice between for example an Audi Q7 and an A6/S6 Avant - would you really rather have the Q7?

If you really want to go offroad in style and with ample interior space, buy a Range Rover ;-)

Source please. :tongue:

I finely found the time to find a record of Elon talking abut this Gen-III CUV/SUV...

http://insideevs.com/video-elon-mus...rger-expansion-cheaper-future-tesla-and-more/ at about 13 minute mark...
“In about three to four years, that’s when we aspire to bring into production a sedan that’s about half the price of the Model S, and then shortly thereafter a small SUV as well. These should be quite affordable. The price would be on the order of $35,000.”

More here:
http://insideevs.com/teslas-future-product-lineup-to-include-just-announced-compact-suv/
and here:
http://www.valuewalk.com/2013/05/te...nvisions-selling-around-500k-units-long-term/

I would personally prefer a wagon, but the initial version of the Model III should be a sedan, which would have a significantly larger market.
I hope you mean a sedan-shaped hatchback, like the Model S.

A sedan would completely flop over here, at least. There would be little point in offering it for sale.

The 20 most sold contains 11 hatchbacks (including Model S), 3 station wagons and 6 crossovers. (Some hatchbacks are also sold as station wagons, and the statistic doesn't separate between the different versions, but this is my best guess of what configuration is most common.)

Probably because there isn't a choice for a hatchback:smile: The difference between the wagon and hatchback isn't that great but the majority at least seem to indicate they don't prefer a regular sedan.
The "Current Model S body style" option is the hatchback option. The Model S isn't a sedan. It's a hatchback.

- - - Updated - - -

Source please. :tongue:

I finely found the time to find a record of Elon talking abut this Gen-III CUV/SUV...

http://insideevs.com/video-elon-mus...rger-expansion-cheaper-future-tesla-and-more/ at about 13 minute mark...

"In about three to four years, that’s when we aspire to bring into production a sedan that’s about half the price of the Model S, and then shortly thereafter a small SUV as well. These should be quite affordable. The price would be on the order of $35,000.

More here:
http://insideevs.com/teslas-future-product-lineup-to-include-just-announced-compact-suv/
and here:
http://www.valuewalk.com/2013/05/te...nvisions-selling-around-500k-units-long-term/
I think we've misunderstood each other. I'm not questioning whether or not there will be a small SUV based on the Model 3 platform. Of course there will be! What I was questioning was whether that car would be called the “Model Y” or not.

And since that car will be based on the Model 3 platform I included two possible body styles for that car in this poll.

- - - Updated - - -

Would you consider a Subaru Forester a wagon or a hatchback? Whatever you call it thats what I want, only with electric power and 200+ mile range. And make sure it has AWD for sure.
Forester.png

Image credit: Subaru

In Europe we call the Forester an SUV. So if that is what you want, then that would be the “A more traditional SUV/Crossover body style (à la BMW X3)“ option in this poll.

Last edited:
I think we've misunderstood each other. I'm not questioning whether or not there will be a small SUV based on the Model 3 platform. Of course there will be! What I was questioning was whether that car would be called the “Model Y” or not.

And since that car will be based on the Model 3 platform I included two possible body styles for that car in this poll.

Aha, yes we misunderstood each other there.

As I wrote earlier: «It's assumed to be called "Model Y"» - so no, it's not definitve that this will be the name of the Gen-III SUV/CUV, but it will not be "Model 3", and they have trademarked "Model Y", so it is not unreasonable to believe it will be.

Aha, yes we misunderstood each other there.

As I wrote earlier: «It's assumed to be called "Model Y"» - so no, it's not definitve that this will be the name of the Gen-III SUV/CUV, but it will not be "Model 3", and they have trademarked "Model Y", so it is not unreasonable to believe it will be.
I guess I was referring to this quote:

You know that "Current Model X body style" and/or "A more traditional SUV/Crossover body style (à la BMW X3)" is more in the line of the next model after Model 3 - the Model Y? [My bold.]
As I understand it Tesla trademarked Model Y in order to get some buzz around S-E-X-Y. But sure... You could of course be right.

I guess I was referring to this quote:

Yes, I was a bit short and hasty there, but when you asked me to elaborate I told you that the separate Gen-III SUV model was a fackt, and so was the registering of the trademark "Model Y", and that it was registered at the same time as "Model E" - planed for the Gen-III "sedan", that it was assumed that the Model Y would be for the following Gen-III SUV/CUV.

As I understand it Tesla trademarked Model Y in order to get some buzz around S-E-X-Y.

Of course. They had two models - S and X, and needed two more model names for the Gen-III, and E and Y would make a good joke :) But when the dropped the E name for the 3 name they still go by that joke. Not S-E-X-Y but S-☰-X-Y....

I am really surprised by the keenness for a station wagon! But pleased as well since they make a lot of sense - especially with an EV/Tesla. One of the issues with a hatchback/wagon is often the lack of security for stuff and the problem of opening a whole hatch in foul weather to load anything.

With the frunk this problem evaporates! So a hatchback/wagon becomes more versatile.

With my styling proposal (see Proposed Model 3 clay model thread) I deliberately raised the rear deck a lot to give a semi-fastback/sport wagon effect and far more internal space and height. I also like the look and balance - particularly with the short nose and minimal overhangs front and rear. I think any aero limitations could be minimized or over-looked.

I am now fired up to make a more wagon-like version of the model to see how it hangs together - especially as there seems to be much enthusiasm for this style...........

But I was wondering - if this was an option (and people could buy a conventional hatchback) then should it be 'extreme' and have a slightly raised roof line to make it super practical - or is that a step too far? Going for a sporty low-line wagon (somewhat like Alfa Romeo tried a while back..) may just be a halfway step and not really functional anyway.............

Any comments?

I like the Golf shape, but I don't like the golf wagon.
And I think sales statistics would agree with me ^_^
Tesla need to make both. Considering the gen3 is a smaller car a wagon option maybe the difference between high and low sales in Europe.

I would be perfectly happy if Tesla would make an EV version of the Golf. The VW attempt at this is just that, an attempt. I am driving a GTI now and it has been my favorite car so far (until the Tesla comes of course). I like the size, the handling and the performance and I can just imagine how much better this would be with a Tesla drive train, performance and even lower center of gravity. The form factor makes the car comfortable enough to drive (not too short to be all jittery), easy to park with enough room left when you fold the rear seats to haul boxes and other stuff when needed. The rear seats are really there for emergencies but how many people drive their cars with just one or two people in it?
Using the wagon version of this car would still work for me too.

Demand on SUVs is strong and particularly in the compact SUV segment, see link below. Car manufacturers including even Mercedes, BMW, Audi along with the US's and Asian's are pushing compact SUVs these days because customers are buying them. I don't object the Model 3 station wagon but I doubt Tesla will build one initially. It will probably be sedan, compact SUV and coupe (in that order, my guess). I owned 2 compact SUVs in the past (X3 and RAV4) along with the MDX which I still own, and really enjoyed the ride and the view. Model X is too big for me now while my kids are grown. I'll trade in my MS with the Gen 3 SUV at no time if available.

Ford, Chrysler Sales Exceed Estimates in October on SUV Demand

Lower Gas Prices Boost US SUV Sales in October - ABC News

I really can't wrap my head around that fact. I mean, car trends in the U.S. have always seemed a bit "strange" to outsiders, but especially when it comes to the dislike of wagons, I can only shake my head. Wagons are at least as practical as many of those so-called SUVs, they are more economical and many are also more austhetically pleasing. No wonder they sell in huge numbers over here. Honestly, if you had the choice between for example an Audi Q7 and an A6/S6 Avant - would you really rather have the Q7?

If you really want to go offroad in style and with ample interior space, buy a Range Rover ;-)

I believe that Wagons became unpopular in the United States sometime in the 1980's, when the Minivan market began to take off. Minivans offered more rows of seating, a taller cabin/cargo area, and easier loading and unloading with slide doors. The rise of the SUV in the late 1990's finished off the Wagons. Americans generally wanted big vehicles with powerful engines, AWD, and a high seating position for a better view of the road. It didn't matter than many SUVs were and still are pretty ugly. Being "powerful" on the road (realistically, few people go off-road with most SUVs. Almost everyone I know who needs off-road capability for work gets a Pickup truck) was important.

Today, in the United States, only the Subaru Outback remains as a popular Wagon, and I believe it survived only because of its excellent AWD system and because Subaru increased its size to compete with smaller SUVs.

I think Model 3 will likely be a hatchback like the Model S, as this shape is the most aerodynamic. I expect that the SUV derivative will look like a smaller Model X.

I voted for current Model S body style (sedan-like hatchback) but I think traditional hatchback design would be more practical (although less aerodynamic). However, in the US market definitely something closer in styling to a sedan will sell a lot better. If it was a station wagon, it'll be a niche product in the US. It's okay to have a station wagon variant, but I think the base model should follow the current Model S's styling.

To clarify, there are 3 distinct types:
sedan-like hatchback (like Model S)
standard hatchback (like an 1 series hatchback)
station wagon (like an 3 series wagon)