Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has lost regen with winter tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whoa...21% SoC and the Snowflake!? My friend, I salute you. I get OCD when my car hits around the low 40% in this weather :confused:

That's nothing...

IMG_0058 2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0058.jpg
    IMG_0058.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 55
And... I'll contribute to the thread.

- LR RWD
- Stock Aero - covers removed
- Nokian Hakka H9 non studded with stock TPMS

Pretty much lost all regen over 30km/h. It starts to bite then backs the hell up with 1/2 then 1/4 then tiny amount of regen.

It's weird because there is an uptick in regen bite when the speed under 30km/h. Also... Autopilot seems to use full-regen and does not seem to be affected.

This happens on full regen capacity (ie : not dots or snowflake)

This in on 44.1. Just got 44.2 and will report back.

Reactions: chibi_kurochan
Autopilot seems to use full-regen and does not seem to be affected.

How can you tell if autopilot is using regen vs just using the brakes? Do you mean the regen bar is green? Can you tell if you get the same green regen bar when braking yourself? (As you usually get some regen when using the actual brakes, at least without this issue.)

How can you tell if autopilot is using regen vs just using the brakes? Do you mean the regen bar is green? Can you tell if you get the same green regen bar when braking yourself? (As you usually get some regen when using the actual brakes, at least without this issue.)
To the best of my knowledge you cant. Only way would be to 'feel' if it is slowing down more and no change is happening to the regen bar. In the volt/bolt there is an indicator that more or less tells you when brakes have engaged (because the brake pedal is a blended regen/physical brake pedal).

When I throttle liftoff from say 90km/h - I get some/none regen.

When Autopilot throttle liftoff (say nearing a red light) - the regen bars goes pretty much all the way to max / max capacity regen capacity if needed.

Green regen indicated motor regen.

When you press the brake pedal, energy dissipates to heat.

So, no green regen during pedal braking.

Just as reference, I had been one-pedal driving for 9k km before the regen issue after winter tire swap.

Not entirely true. Pressing brake pedal does regen and heat dissipation both. There is still some regen as you can see green bar even when manually braking

Not entirely true. Pressing brake pedal does regen and heat dissipation both. There is still some regen as you can see green bar even when manually braking

Yep - you are right. Not something I paid attention to before. But what does have to do with Autopilot getting full regen while I don't on liftoff?

There is a distinct "feel" when the Autopilot regens vs brakes.

Regardless if Autopilot is braking or blend brake/regen - the green bar shows how much regen is going on.

What does it pertain to the winter regen issue?

You said under autopilot you see regen. But under liftoff of accelerator you do not. I am wondering if under braking you get regen and that is what is happening in autopilot and the bug is that liftoff of the pedal doesn't trigger regen but under braking regen works.

That would suggest that the issue is with some traction detection that triggers with winter tires and disables regen braking on liftoff. You can't disable braking on brake pedal (except to trigger abs) so that could still cause regen even with that traction trigger.

Just speculating.

Alternately with blended braking you get braking from all four wheels and that allows regen vs pure regen has braking on rear wheels and that triggers traction issue. Would explain why rwd is affected more vs AWD.

This is my last one of this subject. I don't think this blended / hidden braking. Regen bar is regen bar - it does not "hide" or "mask" when I am braking. It either is regenning or not.

On liftoff : partial / almost no regen.
Braking : I don't see your speculated "blended" regen/braking - regen bar goes to nilch

Autopilot : can get full regen if it needs / feel like it wants it (whereas in same condition, I cannot get from liftoff).

So to me, it's not a matter of *if* full regen is available (autopilot shows me that it is) but something in the algorithm keeps me, the driver, from accessing it.

Like others have said, and this is really an awesome thing for me, is that TC is so sensitive it can detect the squirming of winter tires vs summer tires. I am no engineer, but that is awesome. What it does with that info tho is probably in play here (ie limiting regen as if the tire was slipping)

Second, I am not sure if Tesla is building in a safety zone to avoid liftoff oversteer from RWD (that AWD would have less). I have tried to get it to spin out but could not do it with current condition.

Update on some 44.2 driving. Regen has been back somewhat but not fully:

- I can one-pedal drive at urban/city ish speed (60km/h) ; regen has a lot more bite around 30km/h and I can throttle regen my way to a "stop" starting from 60kmh/h

- I still cannot modulate speed like I use to at highway/secondary highway speed (70+). I get a lot of regen bite on the initial liftoff but I drops fairly quickly to half/quarter after that.