Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Southern Californians - do you stick with your performance tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At 45 degrees performance tires harden and can get slick on pavement. In LA it doesn't often get to 45 but it does happen, especially winter nights.

A couple cars ago I had high performance tires (Pirelli Corsas) and never swapped over to all-seasons at any point. There were a few times when I got very nervous because grip was quite bad, and I'd even say I was lucky to avoid an accident or two.

But that was a rear wheel drive car, one which was quite light in the back, so that's not terribly surprising. The new Y, on the other hand, will be a Performance, so all wheel drive, and likely the Pirelli performance tires as I'm told.

Do you think I'll need to consider all-seasons in this climate? My gut says no at this point, but you're the experts with experience.

On the BMW M3/M4 side, we have what is called the "Tire Lottery", newly-delivered vehicles will come equipped with either Michelin PS4S or Pirelli P-Zero Tires. Most everyone wants the Michelins.

It all depends on the type of driving you do. If you're a bit of a road warrior and feel you'll benefit from the performance gained, get the Michelins.

Yep, a RWD BMW M is where I'm coming from, so I know how it handles tires, and grip.

I'm purely thinking about MYP grip during cold evenings, not so much summer and 80 degrees. Whichever tires it comes with, it will perform well in those warm conditions. Pirelli vs. Michelin is always a dealer's choice sorta thing. I think Pirellis have grip second to none (at least the Corsas), but that comes at a cost in other areas of driving.

But as an all-wheel drive, the MYP has an advantage with four spinning tires, so I was curious to know whether the car as a whole does actually feel slippery when the temp dips around 45-ish. Again, assuming that it comes with the performance tires.

The car came with Michelin Pilot Sport all-seasons and I have to say that they feel like the right option. There's certainly no lack of grip around the twisties, and they're nearly as good as the Pirelli Corsas but with the added benefit of being all-season. I won't need to worry as the temp dips below 45. At full throttle from takeoff there doesn't appear to be any slipping, and the car stays planted during quick turns.

I don't know how these handle potholes (as 21s will I get blowouts?) but I'd guess that they're slightly less likely to blow than the Pirellis.