Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying to understand my options for a second set of rims for a '23 MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking at a second set of rims and winter tires for my 23 MYP. I would like to go down to 19 or 18 inches. Looking at the MY 19" Gemini rims and tire packages at www.tesla.com, it says (see underlined section below): Any idea why it isn't compatible?

"
Description

Model Y 19" Gemini Wheel and Pirelli Winter Tire Package provides maximum safety and grip when driving in wet or dry conditions and on icy or snow-covered roads. The winter package guarantees a high level of traction, stability, and braking efficiency under 45° F, so you can enjoy wherever you drive with confidence and comfort.
Includes:
  • 4x 19x9.5J ET45 Gemini Wheels
  • 4x 255/45R19 Pirelli WINTER SOTTOZERO 3 Tires
  • 4x BLE tire pressure sensors
Note: This package is not compatible with Model Y Performance Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive configured with 21" Performance Wheels. Lug nut covers and center caps not included.Model Y Gemini Wheel Cover and Model Y Gemini Wheel Cap Kit can be purchased separately. Should you need to purchase an individual wheel or tire, please contact your preferred Tesla Service Center. Shipping to your preferred Tesla Service Center and installation are included with purchase. For additional questions about scheduling your Service appointment, visit Shop FAQ."

They will fit for sure. I also have no idea why they state this. I also see this in my country at the online Tesla shop.
But when they were out of 21" uberturbine winterwheel packages they offered me the gemini's as well as an option ...... strange right, but they fit perfectly with no problems what so ever

IMG_9773.jpeg

Reactions: TL:DR
They will fit for sure. I also have no idea why they state this. I also see this in my country at the online Tesla shop.
But when they were out of 21" uberturbine winterwheel packages they offered me the gemini's as well as an option ...... strange right, but they fit perfectly with no problems what so ever
I think the Gemini's looks great on your car. It could only look better if the car was Midnight Silver Metallic....

The Gemini wheels fit the MYP but I'm pretty sure the reason Tesla say it's not compatible is because of the speed rating of the tires that come with the Gemini wheels is not high enough for the MYP. Of course, unless you live in Germany or routinely drive well over 100MPH, I don't think it really matters. It has to do with liability. Discount Tires wouldn't sell me a set of 255 width Pilot Sport 4S for my aftermarket 20" wheels because of the speed rating so I had to go up to 265 width to have enough speed rating to match the car.

In Europe they sell the gemini's only with:
Winter Pirelli Winter SottoZero 3 255/45 R19 104W XL Elect, PNCS, T0
summer Hankook Ventus S1 Evo 3 EV K127E 255/45 R19 104W XL 4PR EV, SoundAbsorber, T0, SBL

So both are in the W speed scale so up to 260 km/h or 162 mph with the weight rating 104 = 900kg or 1984 pounds

The MYP has a top speed of 250 km/h. So I see no issue at all with these tires on the MYP

The Gemini wheels fit the MYP but I'm pretty sure the reason Tesla say it's not compatible is because of the speed rating of the tires that come with the Gemini wheels is not high enough for the MYP. Of course, unless you live in Germany or routinely drive well over 100MPH, I don't think it really matters. It has to do with liability. Discount Tires wouldn't sell me a set of 255 width Pilot Sport 4S for my aftermarket 20" wheels because of the speed rating so I had to go up to 265 width to have enough speed rating to match the car.
Correcting myself here. For my Discount Tire purchase, it was due to the load index for the rear tires that they wouldn't sell me the 255 width tires (101Y). If Gemini's come with 104W rated tires now, I have no idea why Tesla says it's not compatible with the MYP.

I am looking at a second set of rims and winter tires for my 23 MYP. I would like to go down to 19 or 18 inches. Looking at the MY 19" Gemini rims and tire packages at www.tesla.com, it says (see underlined section below): Any idea why it isn't compatible?

"
Description

Model Y 19" Gemini Wheel and Pirelli Winter Tire Package provides maximum safety and grip when driving in wet or dry conditions and on icy or snow-covered roads. The winter package guarantees a high level of traction, stability, and braking efficiency under 45° F, so you can enjoy wherever you drive with confidence and comfort.
Includes:
  • 4x 19x9.5J ET45 Gemini Wheels
  • 4x 255/45R19 Pirelli WINTER SOTTOZERO 3 Tires
  • 4x BLE tire pressure sensors
Note: This package is not compatible with Model Y Performance Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive configured with 21" Performance Wheels. Lug nut covers and center caps not included.Model Y Gemini Wheel Cover and Model Y Gemini Wheel Cap Kit can be purchased separately. Should you need to purchase an individual wheel or tire, please contact your preferred Tesla Service Center. Shipping to your preferred Tesla Service Center and installation are included with purchase. For additional questions about scheduling your Service appointment, visit Shop FAQ."

Because of the speed rating of the snow tires is lower than the max speed of the MYP... at least the ones available from Tire Rack (in 255/45/19) are V speed rated... not sure why a higher speed rating is available in Europe for the Pirelli WINTER SOTTOZERO 3.

If they will not sell them to you for this reason just get a set of Gemini's from someone selling theirs and put snow tires on them... heck of a lot cheaper than a set directly from Tesla. There are sets available for sale here in the forums... not being to obvious am I? :D

Keith

Last edited: