Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where's the charge port?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know where the Model 3 charge port is?

In one of the videos, someone asked the driver during one of the rides if the charge port was still under the rear side reflector as it is now.

He replied that it was.

No, I am not going to search all the videos, so it's my word against the other guy's. I mean, where else would they put it?

Reactions: MP3Mike
I once saw a MS with twin faux tailpipes, perhaps it was the prototype dual charger?

In a faux tailpipe.

MS Tail pipes.JPG

• Funny
Reactions: tracksyde
You joke, but I see a benefit to having a charge port at a fixed height in the rear of the car. Envision a largish iPhone lightning or USB 3 connector. The car could back in and align itself, negotiating with the charge port. Yeah, it seems ridiculous - but it also seems easier than a robotic charging arm.
My Tesla has a hard time doing a good job parking in a two space garage now. I don't see that kind of precision anytime soon.

I would love to see them add 2 charge ports, one on the front and one on the back. But that would be more expensive. Personally, I think they should put it in the front since most average folk like to park nose in to parking spaces, but knowing Tesla, they will probably put it in the back.

They will keep the location of the charging port standard between all Tesla models. This will allow you to easily charge while at home. The charging port will be located on the rear left fender close to where you would put in gas on an ICE.

They will keep the location of the charging port standard between all Tesla models. This will allow you to easily charge while at home. The charging port will be located on the rear left fender close to where you would put in gas on an ICE.
Not necessarily. My EVSE is on the garage back wall, and I have to back in to charge my S. Not as easy as just pulling nose in (but thankfully, the back up system in the S is pretty good so it's not a huge pain). The EVSE is on the back wall of the garage for 2 reasons -- (1) it makes sense for all other EVs that have charge ports on the front, and (2) it's the easiest place to install an EVSE; in many house designs, including mine, it is easier to access the back wall for installing new wiring and outlets, and provides the shortest wiring run as well (typical for midwest houses that have a basement and garage where the basement does NOT extend under the garage; the back wall is the only garage wall accessible from the basement). The back wall also allows the option of centering the EVSE between parking spaces in 2+ car garages so that the same EVSE can easily service multiple parking spaces.

Reactions: ohmman
Not necessarily. My EVSE is on the garage back wall, and I have to back in to charge my S. Not as easy as just pulling nose in (but thankfully, the back up system in the S is pretty good so it's not a huge pain). The EVSE is on the back wall of the garage for 2 reasons -- (1) it makes sense for all other EVs that have charge ports on the front, and (2) it's the easiest place to install an EVSE; in many house designs, including mine, it is easier to access the back wall for installing new wiring and outlets, and provides the shortest wiring run as well (typical for midwest houses that have a basement and garage where the basement does NOT extend under the garage; the back wall is the only garage wall accessible from the basement). The back wall also allows the option of centering the EVSE between parking spaces in 2+ car garages so that the same EVSE can easily service multiple parking spaces.

Understandable for your situation but what about superchargers? They are built to charge any Tesla a certain way

Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Understandable for your situation but what about superchargers? They are built to charge any Tesla a certain way
You almost always have to back into parking spaces for the superchargers too. I'm sure there are many people out there who would rather nose in to the supercharger parking spaces.

EDIT: HOWEVER, there is a legit issue with supercharger placement. Given how the S is set up, the supercharger is usually positioned on the right hand side of it's associated parking space (looking at the parking space from behind), which means if a port were put in the front of a Tesla, it would probably need to be placed on the passenger side, which some would not find ideal.

Last edited:
Some Superchargers are built to drive in nose first and others to back in. I suggest some practice. The backup camera on the Model S makes it moderately easy with some practice. I also have to back in my car when charging from home which was daunting as I never backed into a garage before, had a car this big, and rarely backed into a parking space. You'll also save yourself some embarrassment at a Supercharger.

I was coming back after a day in Monterey and stopped in Gilroy to Supercharge. They have some chargers where you drive straight in and the rest of the chargers you have to back in. All the nose in chargers were taken and I think there was one other car that backed in to the Supercharger. This left quite a bit of gap between chargers. Apparently people don't like into things unless they have to. It was easy backing in without any other cars to worry about. Just before I left another Model S had pulled up and had to back in to charge. It did not go very well for him. I'm thinking he didn't have much practice backing in and was all over the place. His embarrassment was minimized with only two Teslas that saw him. The rest were blocked by the giant transformer that separated the nose in spaces.

• Funny
The port position matters for non-super public charging too. At my office, we have four spaces centered on each two-headed EVSE. Volts and Fusions with their front-driver-fender charger have to back in to use the far left spot, and Teslas have to back into either left-side spot. I've never seen a Tesla take a right-side spot, so I'm not sure if the cable would reach the back of the far-right spot. Leafs can use any spot with their charge port in the nose, but can't back in, at least on the outer spots.

Great point. Given the known ability for the model 3 to supercharge and the already in place supercharger network, the charging port will "have to" be in the same location as the MS and MX. The supercharger cables are very short and there is no leeway whatsoever.

Some kind of standard placement across all EVs would be nice. We have a Chargepoint+ dual-charging stand at my apartment. If the left stall is occupied, there's no easy way to get the Tesla to charge in the right stall without dragging the cable over the trunk or along the bumper.

More infuriating, still, are the plug-in hybrids with ports on the driver's-side front fender that park in the left stall and then need to toss the cable over their hood. Why not park on the right so your port is right by the charger?!? Drives me batty.

I would really, really like two ports. One on each side in the back, which wwould seem easier to implement than Front and Bck.
But I can see the benefit of having one in front as well.

I'd pay $500 it were an option.

Too bad the dual charger option doesn't put another plug on the right side of the Model S where the second charger box goes.