Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge port door not opening/closing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 Model 3 and the charge port door has over time gone from "glitchy"/intermittent opening and closing to not automatically opening or closing at all. I'm still able to manually able to actuate it and doing this still usually triggers the charge port to unlock. I'm concerned that I'm reaching a point where the charge port may just stop unlocking which would leave me without being able to charge my vehicle so it seems that it's time to replace the door.

Has anyone else had this issue with a Model 3 and how have you solved it? Did you go to a service center/have Tesla mobile service perform the repair or did you try to source the part and perform a DIY repair? How much did it cost? If you DIYed it, did you order the part from Tesla or get one of the ones that is for sale on eBay?

There are only a couple of videos on performing the repair which make it looks pretty straight forward but I'd love to know if this is something folks normally just go to Tesla about due to having to unplug and replug the high voltage wires.

thanks,
John

Same year, same sequence of events; eventually stopped opening at all unless pried open with fingertips but could always charge. Fixed by Tesla mobile out of warranty - $120 part, $86 labor.

Very fast but, even though the invoice says "charge port door," it was actually the complete charge port that was replaced and they had to access it from inside the trunk. Considering there's HV lines and stupid trim clips, while I could've probably done it DIY, the labor cost was well worth it for keeping my knuckles unscraped.

Same year, same sequence of events; eventually stopped opening at all unless pried open with fingertips but could always charge. Fixed by Tesla mobile out of warranty - $120 part, $86 labor.

Very fast but, even though the invoice says "charge port door," it was actually the complete charge port that was replaced and they had to access it from inside the trunk. Considering there's HV lines and stupid trim clips, while I could've probably done it DIY, the labor cost was well worth it for keeping my knuckles unscraped.
Are you sure it's the whole charge port? That should cost way more than $120 in parts.

You can see in the parts catalog, that replacing the charge port door alone would require trunk access to replace it, given there is a wiring harness and a motor. In fact, it looks like the charge port might need to be removed to even access the door.
3CHARGE PORT DOOR1566302-10-G

The charge port itself is a different part:
16CHARGEPORT- NA-CP-M3/Y1490374-10-E
Parts Catalog

The charge port door alone costs over $100 used:
s-l1600.png

Tesla Model 3 Y Charge Port Door 1566302-10-G 2017 - 2023 Oem | eBay

Reactions: ravejads.tmc
Thanks all. I agree for about $200 it's totally worth a mobile service visit. I tried to schedule a mobile service but the app was only letting me schedule @ a SC. Unfortunately the closest SC is 2 hours away so I'd like to avoid that drive if I could.

I'm going to try and put in a service request at the closest SC and then call them to see if they can switch it to a mobile service visit. Even if they can't switch the service to mobile I can at least see what they would charge and then make a decision about having them do it or trying DIY.

The prices on Ebay for a used one is a nogo. If the current new price is $120, I'd buy it all day at the SC.

Here is a video from a Russian guy replacing the tail light asm and charge door asm. Easy peezy. Go to 4:05 for the door replacement.

Also, this is timely for me, my door is intermittently not closing after charge cable removal.

The prices on Ebay for a used one is a nogo. If the current new price is $120, I'd buy it all day at the SC.
I just requested service from the local SC and sent a message to them asking if it can be switched to mobile. I'll let you know once I get a quote to see if it's still $120 + labor. That video you posted is definitely the best one I've seen.

This is the other one I've seen but it doesn't show as much on the interior IMHO .

Reactions: Avid
As others with the same year (2018) car have mentioned, I had mine replaced, too. Intermittent operation, would open at wrong times, wouldn't open at others, didn't properly respond to clicking the button on the Tesla handle, wouldn't close on its own, etc., etc.

This, in my case, got repaired under warranty. The mobile tech showed up and mentioned, since I was watching politely and showed an interest, that the gears inside the motor housing would get out of sync and stay that way. I don't remember exactly (it was four years ago), but something might have been stripped.

He pulled off the lining in the trunk, unscrewed the motor assembly, disconnected same, and put in (what I presume to be) a new, improved widget, and plugged it in. No problems since then.

Reactions: ravejads.tmc