Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to open charge port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

shabbstar

Supporting Member
Dec 5, 2023
Texas
I have a Tesla model s 2013 and my went down to 0% since it was off for 3 months, when I open the charge port it opens but I am not able unlock the charge port either by the screen or by the app.

What’s the solution?

Yes I have installed a brand new 12v battery, the screen and everything is working but the charging port just won’t unlock. I am able to open the charging port from the screen just fine.
Have you tried cycling the manual release in case the mechanism is stuck?
SmartSelect_20240120_101423_Firefox.jpg

Manually Releasing Charge Cable If the usual methods for releasing a charge cable from the charge port (using the charge handle release button, touchscreen, or mobile app) do not work, try pressing and holding down the rear trunk button on the key fob for 1-2 seconds. If it still doesn't release, carefully follow these steps: Ensure that Model S is not actively charging by displaying the charging screen on the touchscreen. If necessary, touch Stop Charging.
Open the rear trunk.
Open the flap on the left side of the trunk side trim. flap on the trunk side trim removed.
Press and hold the charge port's manual release lever towards the front of the vehicle to unlatch the charge cable.
https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/...UID-BEE08D47-0CE0-4BDD-83F2-9854FB3D578F.html

Upvote 0
Yes I have installed a brand new 12v battery, the screen and everything is working but the charging port just won’t unlock. I am able to open the charging port from the screen just fine.

If I understand you correctly, there is no problem opening the port, the problem is the “plug” will not lock into the “socket” on the car? That fact that you do not see a white light is certainly a problem. Pretty sure this light will not come on if the key is absent. Try using your key to lock, then unlock your car. Make sure the windows are open, just in case!

If this does not work I suggest trying a deep reboot of the car. To do this, go to the menu Controls > Service > Wheel & Tire > Wheels and change the wheel size - the car will reboot. Then change it back, the car will reboot again.

Upvote 0
If I understand you correctly, there is no problem opening the port, the problem is the “plug” will not lock into the “socket” on the car? That fact that you do not see a white light is certainly a problem. Pretty sure this light will not come on if the key is absent. Try using your key to lock, then unlock your car. Make sure the windows are open, just in case!

If this does not work I suggest trying a deep reboot of the car. To do this, go to the menu Controls > Service > Wheel & Tire > Wheels and change the wheel size - the car will reboot. Then change it back, the car will reboot again.
Is the lock pin ramped so that a charge connector can be inserted but not removed? If so, it would be a mechanical issue.

The unlock charge port button on the app should visibly actuate the lock pin.

Upvote 0
My 2013 P85 just started doing the same thing. Door opens, but that little pawl at the bottom of the charging port isn’t moving so I can’t plug in the charging cable. And I suppose if I did, but shoving the pawl out of the way with a thin shim, I would then never be able to remove it. Old version of the door - no mechanical release lever available until you disconnect HV cables and all, something I don’t want to broach. Service is quoting $85 part, plus $180 more labor to put it in, plus $250 additional for diagnostics (to prove that the new part is needed?) I’ll see if I can avoid the diagnostics and just put in the new port.

Some interesting strangeness: In the days before it failed, the charging LED ring would be one-half white (right hand and upper), one-quarter blue (bottom) and one-quarter green (left). I tried searching for what this Easter-egg meant but could not find anything. Must be some sort of fault indicator. I can replicate it now with the unlatching port by pushing down on the pawl.

Attachments

• IMG_7993.jpeg
    IMG_7993.jpeg
    389 KB · Views: 13
Upvote 0
My 2013 P85 just started doing the same thing. Door opens, but that little pawl at the bottom of the charging port isn’t moving so I can’t plug in the charging cable. And I suppose if I did, but shoving the pawl out of the way with a thin shim, I would then never be able to remove it. Old version of the door - no mechanical release lever available until you disconnect HV cables and all, something I don’t want to broach. Service is quoting $85 part, plus $180 more labor to put it in, plus $250 additional for diagnostics (to prove that the new part is needed?) I’ll see if I can avoid the diagnostics and just put in the new port.

Some interesting strangeness: In the days before it failed, the charging LED ring would be one-half white (right hand and upper), one-quarter blue (bottom) and one-quarter green (left). I tried searching for what this Easter-egg meant but could not find anything. Must be some sort of fault indicator. I can replicate it now with the unlatching port by pushing down on the pawl.
My model X is doing the exact same thing. Are you going to replace the door or the port or both?

Upvote 0