Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where do my feet go during autopilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sbtz

Jan 18, 2016
CA
Yeah, I know it sounds silly, and maybe it'll change as I learn to trust Autopilot... but where are my feet supposed to go when Autopilot is enabled? Right now (day two), I have my foot hovering over the brake pedal - for obvious reasons, this is fatiguing and probably not ideal. I'd hate to have both my feet back if I have to brake hard.

I know what you mean. As an AP beginner I am still hovering my feet over the brake / accel pedal (as if I am not using AP) and it does get tired after a short while. If the road condition is clear / good I just rest the feet on the floor though. I would like to hear what others do.

In the Golf I had a right-foot-rest, neatly placed that I could easily move foot to Accelerator or Brake (as well as a left-foot rest, which might only be a stick-shift thing). Used it whenever I was on cruise control.

Personally I'd like to have that in the MS too.

Reactions: Alex D
If I'm near other heavy traffic I'll keep it resting lightly on the accelerator (but not pressing it), just as if I were driving manually. That way I can get to the brake like normal if needed.

If on the open road or in normal traffic (people not cutting in) just moving along they're on the floor. I have my following distance set to 6 or 7, depending on how antsy traffic is.

For hands, if I'm near other cars or obstructions I'll keep them lightly on the wheel. Otherwise they're in my lap.

General rule for me is: if due to obstructions or other traffic you wouldn't be able to afford the extra half second to get your feet/hands from the floor/your lap to the pedal/wheel, keep them on the pedal/wheel.

I can tell you where not to keep it. Not under the brake pedal. The other day I stretched my leg out and my foot ended up under the brake pedal. Then AP hit the brake and the pedal pushed down onto my foot. Thankfully I was able to react pretty quickly and pulled my foot out before anything bad happened.

Yeah, I know it sounds silly, and maybe it'll change as I learn to trust Autopilot... but where are my feet supposed to go when Autopilot is enabled? Right now (day two), I have my foot hovering over the brake pedal - for obvious reasons, this is fatiguing and probably not ideal. I'd hate to have both my feet back if I have to brake hard.
I keep mine attached to the end of my legs. What other mysteries of the universe do you wonder about?

Your feet need to be somewhere where you can take over and brake or accelerate at split second notice. You need to be fully aware of what your car is doing at all times and be ready to take over the brake, accelerator and steering wheel.. In case of any accidents, all liability is on YOU and only you. At least that is what the Tesla fine print says, of course you can do whatever you want, the only thing that doesn't change, you are still responsible for anything that happens.